Parrots
5 year old CAG GIZMO
4 year old DYHA RIO
2 year old YELLOW NAPE RUBY
4 month old greenwing macaw Myha
2 year old CAG ROXY
12 year old rescue CAG MARLEY
15 year old rescue CAG SMOKEY
is it possible to have a quiet BFA iv had jasper for 5 weeks now its 18 months old the previous owners really looked after it so no problems had split up so the bird got sent back to the breeder its very tame and talks a few words but never whistles got told there very loud screechers heard it screech a couple of times but thats it. i had an CAG before BFA which was a lot louder can anyone help me please.:green:

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I understand your concern because I took in an older amazon in January and he is not what I expected either. The amazons have a reputation to being loud and interesting characters. Well I think there may be some exceptions because mine is very quiet as well. As much as I think my bird is too quiet, I am grateful that he is different because my macaw makes enough noise for two birds. lol.

OP
KevH

KevH

Aug 31, 2013
ENGLAND
Parrots
5 year old CAG GIZMO
4 year old DYHA RIO
2 year old CAG ROXY
thanks merlee maybe its not settled in properly yet. no doubt il be writing back in a few weeks saying how loud it is ha LOL. so suppose il just enjoy the peace for now just so used to whistles off my CAG. was wondering is there a difference in vocals between males and females are males louder if so then mine mite be female maybe henpecked could tell me thanks.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I really wanted a bird that was more active and had more personality, but I see improvement as time passes. Your little one will change too. I think a lot depends on the environment in which was it was raised.

christinereed

Mar 13, 2013
Media
Ohio
Parrots
Emily, dbl yellow Amazon
Our female DYH is very quiet unless music or TV is on. She makes a lot of noises and repeats phrases she's heard, but she does not scream -- thank God.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I took in a rehomed Bluefrnt in December. When I got him [he was so quiet !!] . His previous owners said he didn't play with toys [he had one :(] and he was very quiet. Well I gave his old cage to my sun conure . I got him a big wide corner cage.It doesn't go to the floor but stops half way down . I filled it with toys and foot toys .It took him awhile but now he rips through his toys ,plays on his back :) and is loud as Hell !! But I love it because I know their happy sounds as he screams Im a good boy :) Sometimes it does take awhile for them to adjust .

GinaF

Aug 13, 2013
Utah
Parrots
B&G macaw
I wish I had a BFA. I have a snapping turtle instead!

Honestly, some of them are like that. We'd get some in rescue that were quiet as a mouse and then others that would compete against the macaws. I swear some of them won too!

Enjoy your peace and quiet. I'm relatively sure it won't last long! I would take this opportunity to encourage words instead of screams since you have a great foundation

Fae

Sep 3, 2013
New Mexico
Parrots
Arco, 26+ y/o Blue Front Amazon,
Sunshine, 6+ y/o Sun Conure,
Rain, 11+ y/o Gold-Capped Conure,
Carly, Cockatiel,
"The Thugs", Our flock of 14 budgies
Our BFA is very quiet until the condition of toddler in the room is met then all bets are off. They squawk loudly at each other and get each other all worked up then go on their merry way laughing.

Worst is when the toddler decides to sneak in peanuts while the fit is going on, rewarding the bird for that behaviour, ugh!

Sammy01

Aug 30, 2013
Parrots
Milo: White Fronted Amazon
Sex: Male
approx hatch date: May 2013
Both my amazons are fairly quiet throughout the day except for certain times. I think it depends on their personality or maybe it's a white fronted amazon thing.

OP
KevH

KevH

Aug 31, 2013
ENGLAND
Parrots
5 year old CAG GIZMO
4 year old DYHA RIO
2 year old CAG ROXY
thanks everyone funny thing happend this morning my daughter pulled its cover off cage and it heard my voice it started squawking then i started shouting its name and it got louder and louder its really started to bond with me which is great news just hope it learns to whistle.

Fae

Sep 3, 2013
New Mexico
Parrots
Arco, 26+ y/o Blue Front Amazon,
Sunshine, 6+ y/o Sun Conure,
Rain, 11+ y/o Gold-Capped Conure,
Carly, Cockatiel,
"The Thugs", Our flock of 14 budgies
I actually don't mind the rescue amazon calls at all, he's a nice low booming "ruk ruk ruk" or "wark wark wark" sound. :green:

It's the two rescue conures that usually wake me up far too early, they're so high pitched and screechy. :orange: :green1:

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
This may seem odd, but perhaps the noise level a bird is exposed to has an effect on it's vocalizations? I wonder about this often, as I have a young Lilac Crowned Amazon, and although I know that they are not known as talkers, he only makes noise when he is happy. If he is traveling with us in the car, or listening to music, he might whistle and yodel a little. He has never woken me up! I attribute this in part to the fact that I am not very vocal at home (I talk ALLLLL day at work), and I don't talk much on the phone.
I do leave music on for him, or a season of TV on my iPad when I know he will be alone for more than a few hours, but there is not always a TV blaring in the backround.
Just a thought. Maybe quiet people have quiet birds.
:green1:

Most Reactions

Latest posts