Quiet 'toos?

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Helloo! Waving!

I said it before and I'll say it again: I've kept three species of native cockatoo over a protracted period and I would never recommend either an SC2 (you've reached your own conclusion on that) or a corella, which is much louder than an SC2!. I believe you could probably have a successful experience with a galah, HOWEVER that depends on whether your son is able to live with a galah's voice, which is generally far quieter and less insistent than any of the other cockatoos. Having said that, though, the communication call (the one that says 'Oy! You there? I'm here!') is very piercing, loud and startling, even though it's short and sharp.

It's like dogs: no one can predict whether an animal is going to grow up to be the ideal companion or whether it's going to dig holes, pee on the rug or bite the postman. That ball would be in your court and depends on the amount of effort and training you put in.

The bottom line is that no one can give you any assurances beyond the fact that birds are a LOT of hard work and require time, patience and an ongoing dedication to keep them healthy and happy. I can generally know within a millifirkin exactly what will and will not upset my son's sensibilities, however I've never met yours and only you and he can gauge what level of bird call he can tolerate.

Several of us now have given you the best of our experience and we basically all agree. I don't think anyone else is going to chime in with whatever it is you're hoping to hear. I'm sorry for the barrage of text, but you keep asking!

We get queries like yours all the time. We also get to know of the horror stories where unwitting people *don't* listen to advice and ruin birds' lives out of well-meaning abuse. So, while everyone wants to help a member solve problems and steer the best course, we also want to protect birds from unsuitable situations. The birds have no voice (isn't *that* an oxymoron!), so we try to speak for them.

In the end, you'll make your decision one way or another and we're here to help if you need it. :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My opinion on Goffins is based on what I have read on the internet so by no means accurate. What I have read suggests that they must be kept in a flock or at the least a pair. That they need a great deal of attention and interaction. They are not suited to being caged as they need to fly. That out of the 'too species kept as companion animals they are the most likely to develop behavioural issues and neuroses.

Absolutely concur with this synopsis. All of my Goffins are either uncaged, in a huge flight cage and anti-social, or semi-caged but handled extensively.

**Sigh, wish you all could meet my Goffins as well adjusted goodwill ambassadors!**

Talven, you have my utmost respect for rescuing Ngayuk and recognizing an untenable situation. Cockatoos are charming and I am not surprised you long for a second bite of the apple. I'm confident you will thoroughly examine and make an informed decision - so continue the dialog until sated!

OP
T

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
Sorry I keep asking the same thing over and over. I'm just hoping to get as many peoples opinions as possible. As has been stated 'toos are individuals and can be totally outside the box for their species. Therefore it seems logical to me to get as many peoples views as possible so I can get a clearer picture overall. Please don't feel like I am disregarding what you say, I take it all onboard.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Okay, so I have a few more thoughts...lol shocking, I know (hahah)

They are individuals, but they have the same vocal potential within each particular species...Kind of like cars... A person can drive a Porsche at 25 MPH but if that person wanted to go 190+, they easily could (anyone with that same type of Porsche could easily do so, assuming nothing was wrong with the car). The same could not be said of someone driving a Smart Car, whose top speed is 84 mph. Now, 84 MPH is still fast, and can still get you a speeding ticket, but it's not even close to 190 mph...Does a Porsche have to go 190+ all the time? No....But would some people go that fast if it was legal? Sure!

My point is, unless you live with a bird for months, you will not have experienced its full "speed", AKA volume potential (and often, not even then due to all of the factors that can influence this-age being a huge one--and puberty happens later in "toos", so technically, if you get a baby, you are looking at YEARS before you get to meet their adult version).

Even if someone says they have a cockatoo that is quieter than average (which may still be loud--just quieter than other cockatoos they have met), there is no way to know what YOU would end up with (ESPECIALLY if you get a young one). You are guaranteed to have a bird with extreme volume capacity/potential/ability if you get a cockatoo (just like you are guaranteed a car that can go 190 mph + if you get a new Porsche)--- The frequency and volume of a specific "too" in a specific setting depends on a lot of factors, juts like the speed of a car depends in the personality and motivations of the driver (only unlike the speed of a car, a cockatoo's volume and intensity is much less of a conscious "choice" when compared to a foot on an accelerator).. The bottom line is that their noise potential is not variable- every cockatoo (within its own species anyway) has the same potential to make the same, super loud noises as any other cockatoo within that same species--- unless there is something physically wrong from an anatomical perspective. M2s and U2s are know to be the loudest (at least in terms of potential noise/capacity), but other cockatoo species still are capable of producing extremely loud sounds when compared to other pet birds. Of course there is variation among daily noise patterns of individual birds within various settings...but it's the potential for noise that you must consider.

Loud noises are normal for them in the wild. They are programmed to be loud because it is how they communicate with their flocks... Now, is screaming constantly 24/hours a day normal in the wild? No...does it sometimes happen to birds with issues in captivity, yes. That having been said, a well- adjusted, happy, healthy cockatoo is almost always going to be loud at some point daily (often more than once) and sometimes for over an hour . If you do everything right, are a behavioral master, train your bird to be independent, set up a paradise and massive aviary, provide tons of enrichment etc, you still are going to have a bird with the capacity for extreme noise. The bird may be quiet compared to some cockatoos, but I would venture to say that it could still be too loud for your son...far louder than a parakeet in terms of decibels..

Regardless of people's personal experiences, the general consensus and overwhelming majority of cockatoo owners describe their birds as loud (maybe not all day, but still, loud when the bird chooses to be)...but there are also a million in rescues all over the USA who were given up because of their screaming (it is one of the main reasons these birds are given up so often).
So if you find someone whose experience implies that their cockatoo is "quiet", they would be in the minority, which means it would be highly unlikely that your experience would mirror theirs. Also- "quiet" to them may not be "quiet" to you.
Additionally, birds before puberty are going to be quieter, so when asking about volume levels, it is also important to consider the bird's age.If noise didn't matter in your situation, I wouldn't be concerned, but it does.

Let's say you get a cockatoo and it is loud (cockatoo loud, not parakeet loud)....on a daily basis (which, frankly, is the norm according to many). What will you do? What will you do if it is causing extreme tension in your home and really upsetting your household? This is why I keep posting, because this is what matters.

^Remember- again, before I knew the details on your situation, I encouraged you to keep your last cockatoo---so it's not personal, but your circumstances are quite specific and they matter because these birds live forever and in your situation, a loud bird could cause serious problems (you have acknowledged that certain types of noise would be a deal-breaker). I just don't want you to end up in a situation where you have an unhappy bird or an unhappy family and end up having to re-home in order to maintain sanity within your home..and it seems like a lot to gamble on, given your awareness of the possibility for extreme noise, in conjunction with your household's individual dynamics.

If there were a way for you to know with certainty that you adopted a quieter cockatoo, then that would be one thing, but there is no way of knowing that ahead of time.
There are so many variables that can influence cockatoo's vocalizations, including the presence of certain people, time of day, home size, presence of other birds, behavioral factors, individual personality, age etc. Plus, the same bird may be quiet in one setting and not in another.....In all cases, the POTENTIAL for extreme volume is there- so it's a massive risk to take on such a bird when you already know loud noises are problematic...The whole family will have to be supportive of this decision forever, and it could be difficult to maintain the level of support needed to care for a "too" if the noise creates new problems within your home.

If someone is a weak swimmer, I would advise that they not jump into a riptide in the ocean. If someone is allergic to bees, I would advise that they steer clear from apiaries...If someone cannot stand the sight of blood, I would urge them not to become a surgeon...Does a poor swimmer always drown in the ocean? No, Does a person with a bee allergy always get stung? No, Does a surgeon always have to look at blood? No, not always...BUT the fact is that in all of these scenarios, the likelihood or risk is very high.

If someone has noise sensitivities, I would urge them not to to get a pet cockatoo for the same reason. The risk is high---even if you hear from someone who says theirs is quiet, using that to justify getting one yourself (when you already know definitively that loud sounds do not work in your home) is a bit like like risking getting struck by lightening because you heard that people have survived it in the past. If a noisy cockatoo would have to be re-homed, don't consider adopting one because the risk to the bird is not worth the benefit to you. It isn't fair to the bird to go into the relationship knowing that something common and natural could cause you to give him/her up and cause lasting damage to the bird as a result of relinquishment.. You can hope for the best but you must also be prepared to accept "the worst", especially when you already know that there are extenuating circumstances in your home. If you (or your son/partner etc) could not live with the worst-case-scenario for potentially the next 80+ years, then you should really consider whether this is an appropriate gamble, given the circumstances and cockatoos' natural tendencies toward noise.

Here is a link from a breeder/educational organization that discusses potential noise as well: https://mtrushmorebirds.com/cockatoos-think-carefully-before-buying/

Also, behaviorally (and in terms of noise) Galahs are known for being the "easiest" cockatoos (no- they are not "easy" compared to many other birds..they are still cockatoos...) BUT what you said about them being too needy etc applies even more to the larger cockatoo species (who also happen to be louder as well)....Cockatoos are known for their "neediness" ..among other things... lol....So, I guess I am not sure what you could even consider at this point, because the "quietest" and least-needy option (while still needy compared to other birds) is likely a Galah (even though they can be quite shrill/loud still), and, as a rule, the bigger you go from there, the more amplified/intense all of the other behavioral traits become (volume, neediness, potential for neurotic tendencies etc)...Plus, you must consider that you already have multiple birds, and while a cockatoo could get along with them, it could also seriously harm them or become jealous etc. The cockatoo you had was not with you long enough for you to see how their behavior can change when they bond to a person,but they can get pretty obsessive and very demanding of time/attention etc...Additionally, they need a TON of time outside of their cages, and if you are trying to give your other birds time as well, you may run into issues if they cannot safely be out at the same time.

Last edited:

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
My little corella doesn’t scream at all. He makes not a sound unless it’s to talk like like a human. However, mine is an abused rescue bird whose voice was literally beaten into submission. I don’t recommend that route really...

My mother has one too & hers is a typical cockatoo. She is overall pretty quite but she has moments where she flies back & forth screaming about something or another. It doesn’t usually last too long. But it’s plenty loud & annoying.

I’ve worked with galahs. In general they were pretty quiet birds compared to most of the white cockatoos I’ve meet.

The one black cockatoo I met had the most annoying high pitched crackle of a call that I’ve ever heard. Made all cockatoos seem much more tolerable even though he didn’t make as much sound in general lol

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

As far as screaming is concerned, the Goffins have morning and late afternoon bouts. Typically no more than 3 to 5 minutes. During the day a bit of contact-calling as they are in 3 locations. Having worked among jet aircraft, I find the decibel level acceptable and thankfully the pitch tends towards gravelly, not a high frequency brain-disintegrating note.

Also have a Citron, she tends to be a bit more vocal than the Goffins. Had a pair of Moluccans in the past and they were surprisingly quiet save for occasional outbursts. Hands down the most acoustically offensive parrots were my mom's pair of Sun Conures decades ago. Brutal!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
As far as screaming is concerned, the Goffins have morning and late afternoon bouts. Typically no more than 3 to 5 minutes. During the day a bit of contact-calling as they are in 3 locations. Having worked among jet aircraft, I find the decibel level acceptable and thankfully the pitch tends towards gravelly, not a high frequency brain-disintegrating note.

Also have a Citron, she tends to be a bit more vocal than the Goffins. Had a pair of Moluccans in the past and they were surprisingly quiet save for occasional outbursts. Hands down the most acoustically offensive parrots were my mom's pair of Sun Conures decades ago. Brutal!

Again- I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that you keep them in species pairs or groups, so they aren't necessarily looking for you all the time and they likely view their cage-partner as their mate (that having been said- there are other challenges that come with keeping multiple large cockatoos, so that isn't something I'd suggest for the OP--side-note to anyone reading this-- having 2 birds together DOES NOT always work out, as they can fight, or become hormonal etc..just in case anything sees this a a definite solution, it isn't)...
Plus, Scott, you are used to them and worked on aircrafts for years;)

Back to my point though: A single M2 probably would have been a lot noisier- they all can be quiet (especially if they can see you and feel that they are getting enough attention), but it's when leaving the room for longer periods that a lone "too" will often begin screaming. They (M2s) are LITERALLY one of the world's loudest bird according to measured decibels (whether or not you got the privilege of hearing that).

Last edited:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Here y'go! I found these on YouTube for a comparison: two videos showing corellas and galahs calling in their usual everyday way.I have to say, the corellas in the video are a bit on the quiet side compared to our local lot. We get flocks this size in some seasons, not in others. The galahs are pretty much as galahs sound. You can clearly tell which is quieter.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JAgVR282EA"]Noisy Corellas - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUVEiBbv30I"]YouTube[/ame]

Hope this helps. :)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Hah! I posted too soon! THIS is more like it!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xau8eVbNoDc"]Corellas invade Australian suburb in their thousands - YouTube[/ame]

In the last couple of years, there has been some person or a group of people laying poison baits in order to reduce local corella numbers, presumably because of their noise. Thousands of dead and dying birds were dredged up from the surface and shores of Lake Macquarie, near where I live. The perpetrators haven't been caught (yet), but thankfully they caused an outrage which is still boiling among the local people. Yes, the wild flocks are noisy, but they belong here and most people love them.

The Sulphur-crested Cockies are a bit of a nuisance in that they just adore chomping on coaxial cables that hang from peoples' TV antennae. This can get quite costly over time and people get understandably upset about the damage they cause.

Here in Newcastle, it's mandatory for properties to have a tree (provided by Council) growing on its front footpath. My street has Brush Box (large blossom tree related to the eucalypts), and those attract the lorikeets like mad. A few streets away, though, they have White Cypress, which bear cones and which are irresistible to the white cockies. They'll descend in a massive flock and go to work on the White Cypress, munching away for three or four days until every last cone has been split open and emptied of its seeds. Then, they just go! The street is left covered in eighteen inches of frass left behind by the marauders. I reckon it's neat, but I guess I can understand that the people living in John Street get a bit toey about the mess.

Like any noise, you get used to the sound of the cockies calling, whether it's the wild flocks overhead or the one living on your premises. I'm doing online university studies and my lecturer frequently has to ask me to mute my microphone because of Rosetta's endearing 'background noise'. I don't even notice it any more. She's *so* beautiful, her raucous bellow is just part of her charm! :)

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
One thing to keep in mind when looking at these videos (or wild "toos"), is that the birds are entertained, as they have full control of where they are and who they are with...so the calm/chattering noises you hear, aren't representative of the stuff that gets them in trouble ... I have found that the REAL issue is when they AREN'T where they want to be or when they are not with their person/bird of choice- that's when I have observed screaming in most "toos" at rescues and in my own (historically anyway)...The crazy morning/evening rituals are loud at times but they aren't as bad as the screaming/flock-calling. It's not their fault, but when it starts. it is really difficult to tolerate within a home because the sounds echo and because the volume interferes with ones ability to have a conversation..and because you just have to wait it out when it is happening for attention.

91IM87eeuCL._AC_CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7C91EoInrbtfL.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0_SX679._SX._UX._SY._UY_.png
LOL- I actually own this shirt and it makes me think of Noodles when I had her that first year.

From my experience, a single cockatoos is loudest when his/her person or the bird to which he/she is bonded leaves the room OR if they want something that they cannot have (training can decrease this some, but it is a SLOW process and it is VERY hard to ignore---even though that's really the only way to prevent it from continuing indefinitely at that level...It's instinctual, so even with training, you can't ever completely change that tendency. Noodles will also get loud when she is being super silly and hilarious, and while it's too loud for most people, it's at about the level of a human yelling and cackling- which isn't nearly as loud as screaming and doesn't bother ME (because I love it when she is having fun). I would never take that away from her, as it is a sign of her joy/enthusiasm, but not everyone appreciates it--- especially if working etc.

When I first got Noodles, she would shake the house down for HOURS before getting quiet if I was out of her line of sight- but I refused to return until she got quiet for at least 5 solid seconds--and this could take hours. Obviously, before the screaming started, I did everything I could to prevent it, like talking room to room, telling her where I was going, getting her playstands etc, but it was a STRUGGLE for many many months...waiting out that kind of screaming makes you feel insane)..so does not being able to enter a room in your house because the bird will see that as pay-off for the attention-seeking screaming (so even if you left your laptop in there, too bad...you can't reinforce the screaming by showing up mid-attention-scream).

It took at least a year for Noodles to stop those crazy scream-fests when I left her sight at my house and it was NOT fun...not gonna lie. She is pretty good at my house now, but she doesn't generalize this behavior very well to other settings--SERIOUS FOMO (especially when there are lot of people in a house and she wants to keep track of all of them)....While she rarely screams at MY home anymore, she can still get loud, and when we go to other places, she will often get SUPER loud if someone she thinks should be in the room is not in the room. Everyone has to say goodnight to her---You probably are thinking, "oh please, you created that monster"..NO- this monster is 100x better than the "monster" I got, but she's still got it in her when she chooses. It takes a lot of work to keep her engaged and mentally healthy and despite all of the training, while she is "quiet" for a cockatoo, she can make some sounds that make your blood run cold. She also will scream bloody murder if she sees a wheel-barrow or a baby-gate...and even a few minutes of that is enough for most people in one lifetime..It's a terrible sound and it is deafening.

I know someone with a cockatoo who takes it everywhere all day long to prevent the screaming (never leaves the bird's sight), but that is a problem, because the bird (while "quiet") is not healthy mentally-- not able to be independent even for a minute, serious separation anxiety, cannot be alone without self-mutilating and falling apart completely etc-- For the owner, waiting out those scream-fests was too difficult, and they gave in completely....not good (because now they both are basically trapped in this behavior). It's really easy to fall into that trap and it's a problem for many people because when the screaming starts, you just want to make it stop...and you can't give in or it will backfire. Sadly, all it takes is one person to derail any progress by going in and telling the bird to stop etc (DING- behavior worked, behavior rewarded, behavior strengthened). On top of that, it's not like the bird is doing this because they are malicious, you are quite literally fighting their natural tendencies.

Here is an example of an Umbrella having FUN-- the screaming they are capable of is way louder than this lol (I do love this video, but it would be so much louder in person and for an umbrella, that is not even close to the volume they are capable of producing when genuinely motivated or mad):
[ame="https://youtu.be/mZtR5HFA174"]Crazy Cockatoo is freaking out. His buddy's aint to impressed! - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Here y'go! I found these on YouTube for a comparison: two videos showing corellas and galahs calling in their usual everyday way.I have to say, the corellas in the video are a bit on the quiet side compared to our local lot. We get flocks this size in some seasons, not in others. The galahs are pretty much as galahs sound. You can clearly tell which is quieter.

Noisy Corellas - YouTube

YouTube

Hope this helps. :)

Hah! I posted too soon! THIS is more like it!

Corellas invade Australian suburb in their thousands - YouTube

In the last couple of years, there has been some person or a group of people laying poison baits in order to reduce local corella numbers, presumably because of their noise. Thousands of dead and dying birds were dredged up from the surface and shores of Lake Macquarie, near where I live. The perpetrators haven't been caught (yet), but thankfully they caused an outrage which is still boiling among the local people. Yes, the wild flocks are noisy, but they belong here and most people love them.

The Sulphur-crested Cockies are a bit of a nuisance in that they just adore chomping on coaxial cables that hang from peoples' TV antennae. This can get quite costly over time and people get understandably upset about the damage they cause.

Here in Newcastle, it's mandatory for properties to have a tree (provided by Council) growing on its front footpath. My street has Brush Box (large blossom tree related to the eucalypts), and those attract the lorikeets like mad. A few streets away, though, they have White Cypress, which bear cones and which are irresistible to the white cockies. They'll descend in a massive flock and go to work on the White Cypress, munching away for three or four days until every last cone has been split open and emptied of its seeds. Then, they just go! The street is left covered in eighteen inches of frass left behind by the marauders. I reckon it's neat, but I guess I can understand that the people living in John Street get a bit toey about the mess.

Like any noise, you get used to the sound of the cockies calling, whether it's the wild flocks overhead or the one living on your premises. I'm doing online university studies and my lecturer frequently has to ask me to mute my microphone because of Rosetta's endearing 'background noise'. I don't even notice it any more. She's *so* beautiful, her raucous bellow is just part of her charm! :)

Trifecta of goodness, Trish! Worth noting cockatoos have a variety of vocalizations, the videos are, to me, melodious and inoffensive. I'll reserve final judgment until having experienced them en masse in the wild. My take on cockatoo screaming in the home is a deliberately raucous note expressing indignation or inquiry.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Again- I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that you keep them in species pairs or groups, so they aren't necessarily looking for you all the time and they likely view their cage-partner as their mate (that having been said- there are other challenges that come with keeping multiple large cockatoos, so that isn't something I'd suggest for the OP--side-note to anyone reading this-- having 2 birds together DOES NOT always work out, as they can fight, or become hormonal etc..just in case anything sees this a a definite solution, it isn't)...

This is an informational dialog, we all have a seat at the table. The OP invited discourse and will presumably ponder experiential anecdotes until satisfied. I've not recommended any course of action, as a practical matter he is aware of an opinion cockatoos are best kept in pairs or flocks.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I think it's more wishful thinking than expectation. I find that I don't always explain myself the best so I'm just trying to clarify what I was asking rather than disagreeing or ignoring what more experienced 'too owners are saying.

All I was asking is, is there a smallish species of 'too that isn't as high pitched as a say a conure, doesn't go at full volume all day like budgies and isn't as loud as a Sulphur Crested.

It certainly doesn't seem that way although from what I have read on other forums and seen videos of, a Galah is closest to what I'm looking for out of the 'too family. Obviously more research is needed before I do anything which is part of the reason I was here asking questions.

It really sounds like you're describing a Cockatiel.

Last edited:

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

This is an informational dialog, we all have a seat at the table. The OP invited discourse and will presumably ponder experiential anecdotes until satisfied. I've not recommended any course of action, as a practical matter he is aware of an opinion cockatoos are best kept in pairs or flocks.

I know- you do well with yours that way- I only put that there in case someone stumbled across this thread and thought, oh, my cockatoo is having issues, so I'll just buy another one...OR for those who might think that having 2 negates the fact that cockatoos are still quite challenging..or that having 2 ensures that they won't be loud.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPxqE8xMqHo"]Galahs as first birds/How loud are galahs - YouTube[/ame]
I know this isn't a "first bird" situation, but this video shows some decent examples of sounds within a home. They seem pretty well-adjusted and happy...

Last edited:
OP
T

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
Thank you everyone for all the videos. Very much appreciated.

This reminds me of walking the dogs in the Summer here. We get slightly smaller flocks though. It also means no more front lawn.

I think it's more wishful thinking than expectation. I find that I don't always explain myself the best so I'm just trying to clarify what I was asking rather than disagreeing or ignoring what more experienced 'too owners are saying.

All I was asking is, is there a smallish species of 'too that isn't as high pitched as a say a conure, doesn't go at full volume all day like budgies and isn't as loud as a Sulphur Crested.

It certainly doesn't seem that way although from what I have read on other forums and seen videos of, a Galah is closest to what I'm looking for out of the 'too family. Obviously more research is needed before I do anything which is part of the reason I was here asking questions.

It really sounds like you're describing a Cockatiel.
Seeing it like that it really does sound like a good description of a Cockatiel.

After further discussion it turns out I was not told the complete truth by my son. While Ngayuk did have a couple of full throated shrieks at various times my son never really heard any of them. Headphones on plugged in to his computer. His real issue was fear of him. The noise issue was just a way to hide it. Ngayuk was a greater SC2 and quite large. Prior to Ngayuk his largest parrot experience had been a IRN.

It seems we will probably end up with a young RB2 in the near future despite my attempts to the contrary. My wife has always wanted a 'too and after having the SC2 in the house I have been converted as well. My son says he will be fine with the noise as the cage will be further away than the conures are.

I have told him that if we get one and he doesn't like the noise it's too bad. I will not rehome based just on noise. If I did that the conures would have been long gone. Thank you all for giving me the information and helping me to try to convince them otherwise.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
If you take this path, I would suggest that you adopt (get a re-home) if at all possible because that will 1. help out a bird in need of a home and help decrease surplus unwanted cockatoos, and 2. It will give you a much better idea of the bird's personality long-term. People often get very emotional about personality changes if their bird seems to like them less as it transitions into adulthood..especially if they go from being loved to apparently "disliked" (which can and does happen--e.g., what happened to my sweet baby boy/girl?)

A baby bird can push away/ flip preferences at puberty and puberty with cockatoos, can be particularly rough (especially because they are "babies" for much longer than most birds- and in those early years (the first 1-5 or 6), it's easy to get a false sense of what the next 40 years may be like). If you got a 10-year old or something, you would still be getting a "young" bird, because many live well-past 40 (despite that average on Google)...and at least then you wouldn't have to worry about as many unexpected characteristics developing between babyhood and adulthood...plus you dodge the really turbulent parts of puberty.. On top of that, it could actually be EASIER for you guys to train a bird who already has a decent foundation as an adult...and while you can spoil adults, it's easier to do so with babies. Not all re-homed birds have a horrible backstory, so don't assume that of them all.

Another thing that will be EXTREMELY important is that everyone pet on the head and neck only...No cuddles and no access to boxes, huts, tents or cave-like spaces. This is very very important with cockatoos---and if you end up getting a baby, make sure that you do not start anything that you can't continue or that would be inappropriate/sexual when they are adults. Even if they haven't hit puberty, you should't be cuddling etc because you can't keep that up...no matter how much they want to cuddle.

Behaviorally, it is essential that everyone respond to non-desired behavior in the same, well-thought-out ways..You can't have a loose cannon in the bunch when trying to shape behavior for an adult or baby bird...so just make sure your family doesn't try to "bend" the rules (out of frustration, pity, etc). Cockatoos need boundaries as well, and you have got to teach them independence...so carrying the bird all over everywhere all day isn't doing the bird any favors because, while they will enjoy that, it isn't something that you can keep up forever, so resist the novelty of OVER-attending to a new bird because of the newness...even though they do need a ton of daily attention/interaction (hours, in fact) you do not want to get them used to 8 hours a day if that isn't going to be the norm. You also should make sure everyone knows that if a bird bites, it is their fault for missing the signals-- not the bird's and that a cockatoo has a 3 point bite. If they are bitten, yelling, flailing etc is all very bad. You also need to come up with a plan for ignoring attention-seeking screaming---and something seemingly small, like talking to, approaching or even just looking at an attention-seeker is plenty to reinforce that naughty screaming, so everyone has to ignore--even if it goes on for an hour...

Finally, have you discussed quarantine of the new bird (important) and what you will do if your new "too" doesn't get along with your conures? That is something else to consider ahead of time.

Just remember- these birds are sensitive and so I hope that nothing behavioral would be grounds for re-homing...because again, nothing behavioral is the bird's fault.

Last edited:
OP
T

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
I have looked into adopting from the parrot rescue. Due to the restrictions of Covid-19 adoptions and rescues have been suspended until further notice. I looked into all of these places that are local to me when it came to rehoming Ngayuk.

I'm prepared for the dramatics of bird puberty and how personality can alter. Our GCC used to want to sit with me and get head scratches. Now he tolerates being nearby for an hour to hour and a half before he wants back in his cage. Gone from social to antisocial. Assertive to skittish. We've also made the mistakes with the red bellied conure and had to deal with aggressive biting, territorial carry on and sexual frustration because he was in too dark an area. I'm aware it will be significantly different with a 'too.

I have laid down the rules of interaction for everyone. Only head scratches. No validating unwanted behaviour. The reality is that one of us will make a mistake and we will reinforce some negative behaviour. I'm fully expecting that and preparing myself for having to change the behaviour. I'm even prepared to work with the bird to change it.

Quarantine will be straight forward. Different rooms, no access to each others cages and different playgyms so no access to each others droppings.

Out of my birds the only two that get along together are my Cockatiels and honestly the older female has enslaved the younger male to groom the back of her neck. The two conures attack each other on sight and can not be out together. My two Kakariki can be out together but have to be watched the whole time. If you look away for a second one will attack the other. They can't be together if there is food as they will fight. Given the way my birds are I'd be shocked if we got a RB2 and they got along with any of them.

I have been using all the information that has been given to me by the members here and from what I can find online. I have tried to play devil's advocate to the best of my ability but they are set on getting a RB2.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
If all of you guys are all fully in on this then it could work- A galah (RB2) isn't going to be AS loud as some varieties, although I am not sure that cage proximity will make that much of a difference in terms of noise lol because, as stated previously, their capacity for noise is still quite high when they choose to make certain sounds.
The original noise issue with your son was the main thing that was bothering me about the prospect of you getting another cockatoo--if it isn't true that potential extreme noise will aggravate your son and he's willing (and actually able) to deal with it, that is different.

It does concern me that you guys decided against keeping the Sulfur Crested "too" based partly on his assertions about noise (I know that wasn't the ONLY thing, and I know now he is saying it wasn't true NOW, but when you explained why the Sulfur Crested couldn't work in your home initially--before deciding you wanted another cockatoo--the main reason was that the sound was too upsetting for your son)...With that in mind, what's to stop your son from "crying wolf" again about noise or biting or anything if the bird freaks him out or makes him mad? I am not saying that to blame you --but I mention it because it would be a shame if history repeated itself.

Here are the 2 possibilities I see (as far as what may have happened)--based on my very limited scope:
#1.He is acting like the noise didn't bother him (when it really did) because he wants this new bird and knows you won't do it if noise is an issue (which could lead the real issues down the road), OR
#2. He was manipulating you and your wife when he acted like your last cockatoo's screaming was a huge problem based on his ASD b/c he didn't like the bird in the house for other reasons.
Either way, he could decide he doesn't like (or is fearful of) this new bird after a few months of having it home as well, no matter how he thinks he feels right now...

I would make him sign a contract LOL- just because he could get mad at some point and start complaining about the bird to you, your wife, or both of you. Maybe that's the annoying teacher in me..but just saying...If he wants this badly, he can put it in writing muah hahaha! If that seems too harsh, you could make it a thing where you all sign it---after all, it is a whole-family agreement that you are making, so maybe that would not be a bad..even if it seems a little silly.

I guess the other thing would just be to make sure your wife is fully on board no matter what happens (because as you guys know, birds depend on you like a kid does), so even if (God forbid) she decides she hates the bird (for her own reasons or because your son does, or because you decide you hate the bird), that shouldn't change anything..I say this because people get really freaked out by biting or "aggressive" cockatoos, and while I hope you don't have to deal with a ton of aggression, it could happen. ANYWAY, let's say years from now, your bird starts attacking certain people or showing aggression, or screaming etc- just remember, those things shouldn't be deal-breakers (yes, they suck, but they can be remediated with proper care and behavioral knowledge). Talk about that ahead of time--because especially during hormonal periods, some cockatoos will actively pursue people to go after/bite--and it is behavioral + hormonal, but I mention it because it shouldn't be the end of the bird's home with you...even though that is the case for many.

I would also remind your wife and son that the bird may not bond closely with all of you (and that time-frames for bonding may be quite different)...they can't get offended or give up if they think they are the bird's least favorite person..birds can be like that..as you probably know...Cockatoos are very social and live in larger flocks than some parrots, so they tend to do a bit less of the "one-person" thing, but they STILL often will pick a very favorite person who is like their mate, and when that person is around, they will sometimes be more unpredictable with those who they normally would tolerate or even enjoy...It will depend on a lot of things, but it is possible that one of you will be living for the next 40 years with a bird that doesn't like you LOL (sounds harsh, but it's always a possibility)....so just remember that isn't the bird's fault either and that you are signing up for whatever the future may hold.
If a bird dislikes a person in a family (especially if they target them), it can be really hard for that individual to look past all of the bird's negative/annoying traits (the same annoying traits that are easier to overlook when someone has a bond with a bird)...so it's best to really talk about all of these possibilities now.

Sorry I always write so much!

I wish you guys luck with everything

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts