Rabbits in the Living-room/Flowers in the Window

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
I had 2 Lops years ago.1 black, 1 white named flip and Flop. Seeing yours makes me miss them.

African Violets are such cheery flowers..

My son asked for two more rabbits so he could name them skip and jump. He already has hop.

I can't seem to keep an African Violet alive.

OP
Sunset_Chaser

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
African Violets are easy, they like being watered from the bottom and sunlight, they won't bloom until they are rootbound though, also super easy to start (I'm starting some today for some friends)

Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
How do you water them from underneath, stick the bottom of the pot in water and let them soak it up?

OP
Sunset_Chaser

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
You have a pot inside of a pot and when you water you fill the "outer" pot (not fill but you know what I mean) African violets don't like to have sopping wet feet so the trick is to water just enough to give them a drink but not enough to drown them.

OP
Sunset_Chaser

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Yep, orchids are really cool. I have 2 of them, when I bought them I was told they would bloom once a year and mine have bloomed at least 3 or 4 times a year! This was taken a few weeks ago and it's STILL blooming :)

Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
That's gorgeous! I love orchids.
Apparently so did my 'tiel, he kept eating them and shredding them. We bought like 5 of them in a month, then we waited a while, tried 3 more then gave up with them.

Do they wither away and then come back to life after blooming? My grandma said something about that but I couldn't follow what she was saying.
Cause I know as a kid mum and I would chuck them after blooming cause we thought they died, but nana has had some of hers for ages

OP
Sunset_Chaser

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Here's the mini lop buck that is now weaned. Such a cuddle bug! :)

OP
Sunset_Chaser

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Bunny photo shoot this morning! These are New Zealand Red/Satin crosses :) Jackie (Mama) had 8!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Melissa, how do you get your orchids to bloom 3-4 times a year? Wow, I've always heard (and seen) it is once a year. That would be great to know your secret!

OP
Sunset_Chaser

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Melissa, how do you get your orchids to bloom 3-4 times a year? Wow, I've always heard (and seen) it is once a year. That would be great to know your secret!

Hi Julie,
Both of my orchids are blooming now, 1 just opened up the other day and the other is loaded with blooms again (still?) I have mine in an east window, kind of cold there. I water them about once a week, maybe leaving it a bit longer if I get busy or forget :) When I bought mine I was told to put 2 ice cubes on top once a week. I've never done that, I water from the top down and give them about 1/2 cup (ish) every so often.

You can make cactus (Christmas etc) bloom more often too by watering well during blooming, once most of the blooms are done you pull those off and quit watering. Wait until the leaves start looking shrunken then place in the sink and shower the leaves and give it a nice drink, place back in the window and it will bloom again in a week or 2. (this I found out by accident when I totally forgot to water them for a LONG time, then one day I'm like crap! I forgot about the cactus! watered it and in a week or so it started blooming really well (the best it every had):D

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That's interesting Melissa! I always forget to water :(. I have to say I've never been the best plant parent lol. So water well during blooming (once a week), then as the last blooms die off, quit watering til it's heading toward death (I can definitely do this part :52:), then bombard it with a nice soaking. Okay, thanks for the tips! :)

The orchid I have now is huge (it's two large plants together - Phalaenopsis). It was a table center piece that I won in a raffle. Maybe the cool temps help too. It's generally a hot climate here in SoCal and the daytime temps are already making the house hot ugh! Ice cubes hmm. I should give it a try.

I used to give my mom orchid plants every year for gift giving occasions. I used to buy her the more exotic species (the kind you probably need a greenhouse for), and most would never bloom again. :(

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh my gosh, your bunnies are beyond cute, Melissa!! And they all look rather tame and snuggly, too. :D

And I LOOOVE your orchids! I've got some of those, too. :)

Most Reactions