Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Random Questions!

Yay, random questions! :D :p
1) When do GCCs typically get their first molt? I see very little pins, but my 6 month olds have got some sraggly feathers. I'm guessing there are very little pins because they preen each other...

2) Whenever I ask Oliver to step up, he lowers his head to his feet asking for a head scratch. And when I urge him to step up, he nips because he is annoyed he didn't get scritches. :31: Any tips-?

3) In the WAY WAY WAY future I think I will get an african grey. :grey: And I'm not in any rush, I mean many years from now. Not even sure if I will end up acquiring one...
Well, some questions have been running through my mind about AGs. Here they are:
-Is there any reason a TAG is better for a first time AG parront? Or vice-versa?
-How true is it that AGs have a high chance of becoming one-person birds?
-I heard on several websites that TAGs are more laid back than CAGs, who are more playful. Is there truth in this?
And again WAY in the future. Many years from now, I'm in no rush at ALL!

4) Whats your fids favorite type of Nutri-Berry? Just curious. :p

5) How good does Poop-Off work? I've heard good and bad things about it... :confused:

6) Okay I'm done! :D
PS this is for WharfRat . I meant RANDOM! Hehe cant figure out a way to edit the title.

Last edited:

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
I command not ask my erin to step up hut if sheasks for a scratch i give her one while giving a kiss which ends it in a good mood and yes poop off is good and worth it

OP
ConureCrazy

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Okay :) Oliver's one of the most stubborn birds I've ever met. I guess I should says say chomps down rather than nip. Sometimes I'll get bitten pretty bad, other times its a very hard nip. And he's not food motivated at ALL. That makes it a bit harder, as he doesnt really understand verbal praise. The reward right now is a head scratch, but if I get to a sore pin I'll still get chomped on. -.-

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
AHHH NO! i had a super long post typed up and i hit the wrong key and deleted it all LOL.
here goes!
1) they start their first molt at around 5 months.
2) you could have him step up and then give him his head scratch as a reward, or clicker train him to step up.
3) TAG, from what i have heard, are more laid back and less prone to phobic behavior. any bird can become a one person bird without proper socialization. With proper socialization an AG can get along with more than one person, but it also depends on how the bird is raised and its individual personality.
4) when i had Oscar, he loved the pepper nutriberies :D
5) i haven't used Poop-Off, but i have found that warm water with lemon juice or apple cider vinegar works well :).

OP
ConureCrazy

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Wow annnthank you! The same thing happened to me LOL! It was like twice as long with questions. I think I'm going to get poop off, tell you how it goes when I get it. :)

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
I'm still busy Googling "rabdom" LOL :p :D

had to :)

OP
ConureCrazy

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Whoops didntbsee that! Stupid tablet!

OP
ConureCrazy

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
See what I mean? Argh I want to throw this thing out a window.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches

same with the touch screen on my phone and auto correct. it doesn't recognize the spelling of parrot species, so conure becomes "concur" and eclectus becomes "eclectic" rrrrrr it drives me crazy lol

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Sorry can't be much help with the grey questions, but there are tons of grey parronts here. Your conure should be starting his molt right about now, its more noticable with some birds more so than others. I've use poop off, it works well but I don't really think it works much better than good old vinegar and water, the only nice thing is you don't have to deal with the vinegar smell. But for as much cleaning as I do and for the price, ill stick to my vinegar/h2o mix, which I conviently keep in an old poop of spray bottle :p

And I know how you feel, I've made my last several posts with my phone and there are lots of annoying typos :/

OP
ConureCrazy

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots

same with the touch screen on my phone and auto correct. it doesn't recognize the spelling of parrot species, so conure becomes "concur" and eclectus becomes "eclectic" rrrrrr it drives me crazy lol
Concure. ARGH! I just typed in concure. *CONURE* lol Don't you just love auto correct -.-

OP
ConureCrazy

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
:)
Sorry can't be much help with the grey questions, but there are tons of grey parronts here. Your conure should be starting his molt right about now, its more noticable with some birds more so than others. I've use poop off, it works well but I don't really think it works much better than good old vinegar and water, the only nice thing is you don't have to deal with the vinegar smell. But for as much cleaning as I do and for the price, ill stick to my vinegar/h2o mix, which I conviently keep in an old poop of spray bottle :p

And I know how you feel, I've made my last several posts with my phone and there are lots of annoying typos :/
You must do a lot of cleaning Icy! :D I'll buy the small bottle of Poop-Off anf use it on my GCCs cage, then my normal cleamning method on Oliver's, see which works best and is most worth it.

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
When he steps up give him scritches while he is on your finger that way he knows if he steps up he is still going to get his scratch shouldn't take long for him to figure it out, keep a wooden spoon handy for step-ups (save a finger use a spoon)

Most Reactions