Random feathers in the cage, possible molt?

Hawkmaid

Aug 9, 2016
North America
Parrots
My very first bird is a Green Cheeked Conure!
Hi guys, I've searched the forums for an answer to this, and I was shocked when nothing came up, so here I am! Cricket's been doing well, and I've been really busy, so I haven't been getting him out constantly. I say this to put the next thing in context; I was looking in his cage for whatever reason a few days ago (Friday, maybe?), and I found a rather sizable feather on the floor of the cage. It's the same color as his rear-most feathers, before his tail begins, or possible a small wing feather. It's just a little longer than an inch.
Then on Saturday my boyfriend came over for a while (longest he's ever been here), and Cricket was REALLY frustrated at random points of the visit. Usually he was chill and did his own thing but occasionally he'd break into chattering fits, like he was trying to join the conversation. That day I noticed maybe five down-type feathers on the floor of the cage.
That was the last of the free-feathers I've seen, but I was wondering, is he plucking them or molting? There was no mutilation to the quill of the big feather, except it's a little flat, and there was no blood or debris on any of the feathers. Should I be concerned or....? I've kept up with him as far as talking to him and playing with him, but methinks he's getting a little greedy. Anywho, let me know your thoughts!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Hopefully, some GCC folks will be along. The Rbird moults twice a year... just contour feathers around January/February and then everything around July/August.
This would be the first moult for you guys, then?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hopefully, some GCC folks will be along. The Rbird moults twice a year... just contour feathers around January/February and then everything around July/August.

Well, since you are located in North America (which helps in address your question), your Parrot is experiencing the same change in the amount of Sun Light each day, which is likely driving his system to begin (or continue) its moult! If your Parrot is young, it is likely your first Moult maybe on the light side.

In October, our house looked like a snow storm of downy feathers and now in November we are seen the larger flight feathers pairing out. So, very likely that you experiencing a moult. The primary difference between a moult and plucking is Location, Location, Location. If all, or most of the feathers are from the same area and you can see the skin, that's likely plucking. However, more commonly, your Parrot is simply moulting!

If you are concerned that you may not have a white Christmas in your area, simply save the downy feathers! :D

OP
Hawkmaid

Hawkmaid

Aug 9, 2016
North America
Parrots
My very first bird is a Green Cheeked Conure!

No, actually, he was moulting (molting? I'm confused about spelling. XD) when I got him in late July, and it seemed to be at least his second time around. He wasn't all fluff and down before that. Anywho, given the month it's nearly time for it to happen again, I suppose, so it makes sense. :)

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
Every bird moults a little differently, and depending on your weather, at different times. Honestly, a wouldn't be concerned, but if you want, just keep an eye on it. We had such a wacky year here, Kiko moults were closer together, and he had about three. He is going through his third now. Starting with a large feather or two, and then the down feathers. Normally, he only moults his down feathers one time or so a year, and it takes a few more times to finish his tail feathers and primary feathers, ect.

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Lucille has just started her first molt, which does not surprise me since she is right around 9 months old. She has lost a few larger feathers, but it's mostly down and looking scraggly. It sounds to me like your guy is molting, but I always have the same worries when my birds start to molt!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Sounds like a molt to me too. BB was just a babe when I got him in May,and still had his baby clothes on,then white fluff appeared..and a couple larger,clipped,arm sleeves.
But it seemed like the little white fluff was never going to end! It was everywhere! I was wondering how one little birdie could have so much fluff!

And I "thought" he was done with everything,and he still had not started to zoom around the house :confused:
I ended up taking him to his doctor for a check up,and she pointed out that he still had clothes with "bars" on them..an indication he still had his baby clothes on still.

He is fully clothed now ( just took a good look at his arms and tail this afternoon) and everything "adult" is there..

How old is your baby? Like every one has mentioned...sounds like he/she is molting. I wouldn't be too concerned.

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts