Rats?

hootx3

Jun 21, 2012
Media
Canada
Parrots
Quincey, female green Quaker
Rats are great pets on their own, but I wouldn't advise letting them interact with a parrot. Mostly because if the rat does bite, which is always possible, it could carry harmful bacteria in it's mouth.

I had a rat named Cloudy and he was the best pet ever (but, of course, I say that about every pet I've owned) he was mega intelligant and was very amusing. He and my guinea pig Rosie got along very well, and we would let them out all the time together. But then one day, for some reason, he bit Rosie. To be safe, we kept them apart afterwards. So, rats are very unpredictable and I don't think that would go well with a parrot.

jonahsmom

Jun 18, 2012
Parrots
Buddy - green cheek conure; Luna - yellow crowned amazon; Bella - miniature dachshund; Schatzie - affenpinscher; RIP Boudreaux - timneh african grey
LOL - One of my pet rat's is named Cloudy. Our son named him after his favorite movie at the time...Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Ha! :D

I wouldn't say rats are unpredictable so much as they shouldn't be around animals that they would consider prey (which guinea pigs would be for them). Just as anyone who has a ferret and rats shouldn't allow them to play together because the ferret could potentially try to eat the rat. My rats are super predictable. Let them out for play time and they climb back into their cage on their own and sleep in their hammocks. LOL Lazy bums. The girls are quite a bit more active...they'll tear it up!

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
All animals can bite, including humans... I have had many rats, but none that would ever bite... I'd be more likely to be bitten by a parrot...

A female, pregnant rat, is another story... They will do anything to protect themselves and their young... just like anyone would do, really...

Skeletoes

Jun 24, 2012
They're so cute. Maybe 3 years ago I had rat with three hamsters. So there was a little smell but if you take a look it's not problem. :)

Annageckos

Jul 4, 2012
PA, USA
Parrots
Ziva - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
I know this is a little late but I wanted to add my experience. I have rats, quite a few rats. I love my rats and have always had at least one rat since I was 10 years old. I have also always had birds (except the last five or so years). I have NEVER had a rat go after one of my birds, but I never let them play together. Rats can kill a bird, and some rats are more predatory then others. But I don't see any reason not to have a rat and a bird at the same time, just do NOT let them play together. I also suggest to never give a rat a treat between the bars of the cage. Doing so makes them more likely to grab anything you stick into the cage from between the bars. Always open the cage door first and hand it to them, or use a treat dish. It just takes common sense when you have different types of animals. You can have cats, dogs, rats and birds. I have to make sure my ferrets can't get into my rats. I also have to keep my rats out of my guinea pigs. But I have one male pig who will go after the rats. It is your responsibility to keep everyone safe. It can be done, I personally have never had one of my pets attack another.

Ria

Jun 6, 2011
Media
Albums
Uk, Hampshire / Gosport
Parrots
Indian Ringneck: Damien

RIP: Dempsey & Winston
I have rats and my birds in the same room. I never try and leave Damien out unsupervised with them, or if I leave the room I cover the rats cage over with a blanket so if he was to land on their cage they are covered.

Thankfully Damien has a good sense on him and doesn't even go near the cage if he is flying around, he sits on the finches and his own never the rats one. He just knows they are dangerous!

599574_10150902913500810_1314471543_n.jpg

jonahsmom

Jun 18, 2012
Parrots
Buddy - green cheek conure; Luna - yellow crowned amazon; Bella - miniature dachshund; Schatzie - affenpinscher; RIP Boudreaux - timneh african grey
D'awwww - you're rats are cuties. :)

OP
echoskybound

echoskybound

Mar 30, 2011
Media
Parrots
Wheatley - 4 year old Green Cheek Conure
Aww, Ria, your rats are super cute! My plan would be to have the rats in a completely separate room, and to cover up the rat cage when the bird is out. I have mice, and I've never let Wheatley meet the mice, because I know his curious beak would go right for their little noses. Wheatley discovered the mouse cage one day, and became WAY too interested in the mice. He started flying all the way into their room to land on their cage, so I had to start covering it. I swear sometimes Wheatley is ONLY interested in things that are 1) dangerous or 2) we don't want him to do! He just can't wait to get himself hurt! Pain in the birdbutt!

Admittedly Wheatley is the first pet I've ever had who couldn't interact with ANY other pets, so I haven't had to learn to deal with pets who can't be around each other. I grew up with cats and dogs who were always fine together. I know the reality is that NO animals are completely safe together, I just feel 200% more cautious and worried with a fragile animal like a bird.

I'd still really love to get rats, if it's safe to have them in separate rooms and out at separate times. Even if the rat would never hurt a fly, I'd still never let them anywhere near each other because Wheatley is super bitey. I can't remember the last time my hands didn't have some kinds of little scars or cuts on my hands, haha.

Most Reactions