Reading a book to your bird - good bonding strategy?

Katelyn

Aug 25, 2018
Someone told me if I read to my new bird, it will help her learn to bond with me and get used to my voice and be more comfortable around me. The past two nights, i read to her for about 20 minutes. She acts interested, sits on her little perch and tilts her head, and acts like she is listening. She remains still most of this time, occasionally bending over to get a bite of her food. Then always toward the end of that 20 minutes, she turns around with her back facing me, with her head looking at me kind of over her shoulder. Almost as if shes tired.

My question is, and this may be silly, but do you think im reading her to sleep or boring her? Or do you think this means she wants me to leave her alone?

Im trying everything I can to make her comfortable in this situation.:grey::17:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OP
Katelyn

Katelyn

Aug 25, 2018
Thanks guys! I will keep reading to her! The book were reading is ironically perfect for our situation. I cant really mention the title on here as it contains a naughty word, but its about handling stress. Didn't plan it either! Lol!:D

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Ooh i’ll bet I know the title! ;)

It’s all in the tone of your voice, keep it happy, light and positive, glad to hear you’re doing so well :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
An excellent method, which I find works wonders. Does not matter if you are just starting or have a life time together! Reading out-loud with Parrots, Children, Grand Children, Family and Friends is a tradition that has strong roots we tend to overlook today!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Eating then resting in front of you shows her trust. She like you got this watch, I'll take a nap. Sailboat loved what you said, powerful stuff.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
reading is always good!

my Conure was very familiar with the works of HP Lovecraft after a couple days!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I love absolutely everything said in this thread!

A short story. Our house-sitter is an Ursuline nun... many of them do this as a fund-raiser for their various projects. She was baffled by the Rbird, who did nothing but scream and flap in her presence. Finally, she pulled a rocker up to the cage and began to read him the Bible! She said it took him a couple of hours but he settled down. Every time she would house-sit, she spent her free time rocking and reading. I honestly think he began to forward to her visits.

OP
Katelyn

Katelyn

Aug 25, 2018
Thanks guys! Keep reading we will! It seems to be working well, and hey , I get to finish my book! That's so cute and funny about your housekeeper! The Bible is definitely a good book :)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
That really gave me a good belly-laugh! Thank you! Born again conure! lol

Most Reactions