Reading Body Language - liking or hating?

Tulojow

Apr 4, 2019
I've had Maisie, my GCC, for almost a year and, until now, she's mostly taken baths. I introduced her to a shower perch today to see how she would like it and I'm having a difficult time reading her body language. I'm hoping for some more educated interpretations. I've had macaws in the past and they loved their showers, but were very animated about their enthusiasm so the species differences may be throwing me off.

I'm not sure how to share a video but the attached picture is pretty representative. She stood on the perch for quite a while with her head slightly up and her eyes either closed or mostly hooded. She'd move and investigate if something caught her attention but would go back to this position, occasionally moving her mandible as if drinking a little water. I offered a finger for her to step up on but she didn't seem interested and stayed in this position for almost five minutes before stepping up.

I didn't see any profound signs of stress and my entirely naive and anthropomorphic interpretation was she was enjoying herself. But I also want to make sure she wasn't so stressed she was shut down. So, I'm definitely open to other assessments of her body language!

Attachments

• Maisie.jpg
    Maisie.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 136

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I’d say guardedly ok with it.

If she were scared, she be avoiding it

If she were ENTHUSIASTIC, her wings would be open or otherwise very fluffed up.

But without seeing the whole shower or something other than a single still photo, it’s hard to tell.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My first and lasting impression is Masie expressing a range of contentment to blissful enjoyment of the shower.

If you find continued reluctance to shower, might try acclimating her with fine misting from a spray bottle. Best method is via new unit with variable nozzle from a "dollar store." Aim the bottle upward from a distance to allow droplets to fall mostly vertically. You can progress with opening the nozzle to heavier stream as needed.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'd say she is just enduring it. The water pressure might be to much for her. So she doesn't want to move around and damage her water logged wings.

Most Reactions

Latest posts