chucka

Jan 13, 2014
Port Hedland West Australia
Parrots
Lewi - cockatiel
Esme - Galah
Pepper - RTB2
Hi Mekaisto
Quick question do the RBT bond better with opposite sex owners ??

I have my heart set on a female but the breeder only has two chicks this season and im worried thet might both be males...

Should i really care about the sex of the bird or should i pick it due to personality or gender??

Thanx Charlie

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
No, a bird can't tell whether you're male or female, although some birds have preferences (voice, height, hair colour) due to previous experiences. Obviously that won't matter if you're buying a baby.

The only thing that differs between male and female RTB2s is that males tend to be more loud and energetic and 'in your face' than females, and will get more excited during breeding season.

OP
chucka

chucka

Jan 13, 2014
Parrots
Lewi - cockatiel
Esme - Galah
Pepper - RTB2
Thanx Mekatisto thats not far off what the breeder said , he also said that because he hand raises them all they tend to all prefer males but with correct training they will bond with the whole family:)
....I really hope the first one is a female tho :):)

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
I have to say I find females better looking, and if you really have your heart set on a female and they're both males you can either try to find a different breeder, or wait until next year :)

OP
chucka

chucka

Jan 13, 2014
Parrots
Lewi - cockatiel
Esme - Galah
Pepper - RTB2
I 100% agree they are better looking not just there colouring but there beak appears to be a different shape also:)
Im thinking positively one of them will be a female;)
If not i guess il explore other options then or wait ........

You where right in what you said last week the wait is killing me lol:):)

OP
chucka

chucka

Jan 13, 2014
Parrots
Lewi - cockatiel
Esme - Galah
Pepper - RTB2
The breeder sent me another set of pictures:)
She is 26 days old and weighs 271 grams and he said she has started to grunt when she wants a feed :):):)

Attachments

• 26 2.jpg
    26 2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 26 1.jpg
    26 1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
What a cute little thing!

Delfin

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2014
Media
I have heard of vets, stating that there are some species of Birds which are intelligent enough to know if you're a male or a female. The African grey, Eclectus and Alexandrine are three that have the Intelligent to know the Different. After watching the videos of Dr Pepperberg and Alex I have no doubt that birds are a lot more Intelligent then humans give them credit for. I believe that birds like humans pick and choose who they love, like, dislike and hate.

Delfin was hand raised by a breeder who was a male. Yet Delfin loves both my wife and I. ( actually I think he favors my wife a little bit more. but I better be careful that Delfin doesn't read this LOL) We were expecting Delfin to more inclined to prefer the males due to him being hand raised by a male. This is not the case as Delfin tries to feed both of us. (no we don't let him) But that hasn't stopped him from trying.

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
271 grams! S/he's a little fatty, always a good sign :)
Well once you know the gender of the babies, it will help the wait go by faster, I'm sure.

Sorry, I wasn't clear - birds can tell if you're a male or a female based on your voice, certain habits, etc, but they don't see you as a male or female bird :)

As in, male birds don't think: "you're a male human, so I can't breed with you, and will therefore ignore you. But that lady is a female, so I'm going to go give her kisses!"

Last edited:
OP
chucka

chucka

Jan 13, 2014
Parrots
Lewi - cockatiel
Esme - Galah
Pepper - RTB2
I have decided to take the RTB2 chick I have been posting pics of no matter what gender she/he is for a couple of reasons ....a lot of thought has gone into this :)

1. The main reason I wanted a female was I was under the misimpression that opposite sex birds bond better with there owners and the colour of the female is more striking.

2.This is the last bird from this breeder for this season as he has lost 2 eggs due to complications .

3. I am finding it very hard to find any other RTB2 naso breeders that hand raise.

4.Next season which is Feb 2016 is not ideal as I have a wedding in the middle of 2016 and I don't want to get a new bird then leave her for 2-3 weeks, I will also be moving house that year .

5. 2015 to 2016 is perfect as I have no holidays from jan 2015 to jun 2016 so that gives me plenty of time to train and raise a well adjusted too.

So to me it make sense to base my choice of the too on personality not gender or colour...so I will be visiting her/him in November and we will go from there :)

Im not sure if all that makes sense but it does in my head lol :):)

RodOutback

Nov 23, 2014
For what it's worth,

We get the banksii subspecies here (near Longreach, Western Qld), and have a flock of approx 20-30 who are seen every few days around the property. Every few weeks, they spend a few days around the homestead; probably raiding the seeds off one tree or another around the house yard.
A tree full of them are bloody noisy!
(sounds like the world athsmatics convention is being hosted at your place...)

I digress...

We often see them feeding on the ground, and the past 5 encounters over maybe the past fortnight, they have been on the same patch of flat ground near a dry creek.
I havent checked this time around, but last year, we found they were eating Goathead burrs on the side of the road. They crack the hard burr open with the beak, and seem to like the seed inside. They kept returning to the same spot, and often barely hop out of the way of our cars.
They are a spectacular bird when flying overhead. Huge wingspan; I would think you will need a very large cage for them to be able to exercise properly.

Cheers,

Rod.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
RodOutBack!?

Are you the RodOutBack who used to post at aus.gardens with stories of Sgr Toiletto Frogoli? What a small world it is! Welcome to Parrotforums and please, don't hold back with any of your stories of the creatures who visit you out in Longreach. (NB. If they're not about Parrots, they need to go in the 'Off Topic' section).

It's great to see you here and I'm so happy to have caught up with you again. :)

Trish from Newcastle

Most Reactions