Red

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
The macaw I am playing with currently at the shelter. He is a scarlet macaw named Red. Been at the shelter for awhile not sure how long exactly but he has been there since the first day I showed up at the shelter. He likes to pick on the one volunteer and I take Red out of the cage so he can clean it or change it around when I'm there sometimes.

I'm giving some thought to adopting him in the future but I have some things to work out job wise before I take a macaw home. Been looking for a new job and not certain where I'd be moving if I had to.... but Red has meet a grand total of zero adopters since I have been at the shelter so I'm pretty sure I have time to work it out and decide! He isn't an easy macaw that's for sure acts a lot like an amazon actually and bites like one too. With his attitude and his look nobody is really interested in him. He has a lot of attitude in the cage but stepped up easily for me this Saturday!

The pictures from this Saturday...

Actually being nice to my stepfather not sure how long that will last since he would occasionally glance down giving some thought to biting the arm/hand like he has a tendency to do....because he is a little brat that doesn't mind biting his perch and being dropped. He is definitely one of those watch all the time because your not sure when he would like to take a chunk out...and he actually does try to get a piece of flesh as a prize:eek: I like him...I've been told evil recognizes evil:p

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh Victoria, you have SUCH a huge, beautiful heart! Poor Red!! I can't believe nobody has even looked at him. Goes to show you how 'shallow' many people are. :(

He's a beauty in my eyes, and I know you'll be PERFECT for each other. :smile015:

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
It looks to me like new feathers coming in. God BLess you for watching out for this guy. I agree you have a Heart of Gold
Such a pretty bird

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Oh Victoria, you have SUCH a huge, beautiful heart! Poor Red!! I can't believe nobody has even looked at him. Goes to show you how 'shallow' many people are. :(

He's a beauty in my eyes, and I know you'll be PERFECT for each other. :smile015:

We do have a lot of beautiful macaws or ones that have plucked and aren't overly difficult to handle. Red doesn't necessarily help himself by biting the cage bars when people look at him either haha. A lot of the adopters are too new to macaws to handle a bird like Red either. Some of our nice macaws still kick new adopters butts at first....Red would think we were giving him sacrifices/live toys if he met some of the inexperienced adopters:p Though no one has gone I want to meet him from my knowledge because we would let you meet him if you were insistent that he was an option. Kind of like me insisting Folger was an option for me to adopt...February will be two years since I adopted that crazy bird:eek:

He has such beautiful head feathers...fully feathered he would be a stunner!

It looks to me like new feathers coming in. God BLess you for watching out for this guy. I agree you have a Heart of Gold
Such a pretty bird

He does have new feathers coming in but if you look you can see that he has snapped the ends off of most of the new feathers already. I'm guessing its because he is bored. Considering how many new feathers have popped up in places he might be able to get quite a few back if he were to stop.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Victoria, you are the Macaw Whisperer. I hope it works out for you two. Until then, he at least has found a special person in his life :).

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Hhhmmmm... a beaky scarlet who also plucks.

Yeah, I'd say the race is on to see who can adopt him first... You've got time.

All shallow reasons aside, most folks just wouldn't know how, and/or couldn't handle this bird...

People like you and I can, well, frankly, because we've had plenty of practice.

That's the problem with volunteering at these places... you find love in the most unexpected places.

Last edited:
OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Victoria, you are the Macaw Whisperer. I hope it works out for you two. Until then, he at least has found a special person in his life :).

lol thats still Jeanne and John the crazy macaw people that they are:D Jeanne called Red a traitor since usually Red is pretty good for her but she took him away while he was sitting with me and he attacked the towel while sitting on her lap. Then, stepped right up for me and went back to licking my pants....weird bird I know...

I'm not 100% and I want a couple more interactions with him to know for sure if it is something I want to work out because finding a place if need be while having macaw with what I already have when it comes to animals will be interesting:rolleyes:

Hhhmmmm... a beaky scarlet who also plucks.

Yeah, I'd say the race is on to see who can adopt him first... You've got time.

All shallow reasons aside, most folks just wouldn't know how, and/or couldn't handle this bird...

People like you and I can, well, frankly, because we've had plenty of practice.

That's the problem with volunteering at these places... you find love in the most unexpected places.

Yeah I kind of figured I could take two years to decide and he would still be sitting at the shelter. Red is up there on the list of problem children that are considered unadoptable unless some sucker/crazy person comes along....if I get him that means that I adopted two on that list:20:

I remember the first day at the shelter and seeing the macaws and staying far far away. Now if any of the birds need to be taken out the other volunteers are just as likely to get me as Jeanne and John:rolleyes:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I took Sally because there were only two people who could get anywhere near her. She was a problem child and a half when I got her. She couldn't be around other birds. She couldn't be around people.

Four months later, she was a poster bird for behavior modification... my reputation down at the rescue was kind of "made" by rehabbing THAT bird...

Now she's my flock leader! Has been for around 15 years now...

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Hanging out and stealing my dinner!

More??

Most Reactions

Latest posts