meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
I never noticed the Toucan head! I think this website is terrible, too. Lots of people come to me (I'm a trainer) with these birds who are seriously messed up after going through that "bird tricks" training crap. Yes, you may get a "robot" bird right away, but in 3-4 years, the bird will turn on you and it wont trust you, so there's no way of fixing the damage!:mad: I especially hate training these birds because, since they have no trust for humans, they BITE, Scream, and are afraid of or are aggressive to EVERYTHING! That clicker-training also just makes my blood boil. A click is not a reward. A happy owner is a reward. Birds understand feelings and emotions-not strange clicks.
I love the Oprah picture!!:D

I don't like clicker training either! Nor do i like treat rewards when training. Positive attitudes and rewards are best. And same goes for dogs. If you use the treat training they'll beg for food all their life.

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
I don't like clicker training either! Nor do i like treat rewards when training. Positive attitudes and rewards are best. And same goes for dogs. If you use the treat training they'll beg for food all their life.

I've heard that 'the clicker' can really help with abused and neglected animals (especially when food was only given as a 'reward.'). Somehow it redirects food as a given regardless but also removes the 'food' thing as a reward while still rewarding for behavior??? It's like a bridge???

I also hate that website. It's almost like reading 'Stepford' Bird.

Kais2ndmomma

Aug 27, 2007
Parrots
Kai, G2
Lenny, L2
Macai, M2
Peek-a-boo, U2
Lucy, Lovebird
Benji and Lani, Lories
Chili, Conure
Cliffie, Duck
I've heard that 'the clicker' can really help with abused and neglected animals (especially when food was only given as a 'reward.'). Somehow it redirects food as a given regardless but also removes the 'food' thing as a reward while still rewarding for behavior??? It's like a bridge???

I also hate that website. It's almost like reading 'Stepford' Bird.

Haha I love the "Stepford" Bird comment!
Anyways, I work a lot with the really badly abused and neglected birds at the shelter, and to tell the truth, clicker training isn't any more effective. These birds STILL are starved for attention and approval, so an enthusiastic "GOOD BIRD!" works just as well, if not better, than a click or a treat.

Most Reactions