Rehome Timneh vs. Baby Congo....

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Pepper, a Timneh African Grey
OK, so there's the Timneh in the other thread I mentioned. There is also a lady in our state who will have Congos ready in a few weeks. We have read a lot and people say the Congo tends to be more a one-person bird, but then the breeder told me as long as multiple people handle the bird from a chick, it probably won't be a one-person bird.

I would love to get a baby Timneh but the fact that there are none around us drives their cost up significantly over a Congo. I am pretty positive a baby Timneh would do find with us. would be concerned over a Timneh who was used to a different life-the bird does live with other birds and older kids so maybe it would be fine. I would feel awful if we got the bird and she got stressed out .

So I was wondering if we should go with a baby Congo instead...
Any thoughts? Thanks!

wolf0994

Apr 10, 2012
North Pole, Alaska
Parrots
Kawie, 16 year old Congo African Grey
I would think that the rehomed bird would do just fine. As I said in your other post, we adopted an adult grey, it was a congo. But he was 16 years old and not used to children. He now interacts with all of my children and my wife and I. He is NOT a one person bird at all. He will give kisses and touches from his beak to everyone in my family, quite happily. Especially if you have a treat for him... lol. If you prefer a baby, there is no problem with that. But if you can give that other timneh a good home, dont shy away just because your afraid of him having to learn your family. It would be very rewarding for both of you! He will of course be a little stressed going to an unfamiliar enviroment. But with patience and love he will overcome that sooner than you think. Our grey only took about 2-3 weeks before he was willing to START touching people and giving kisses instead of running from you. Which from what I had heard, for a grey is VERY fast.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I would go meet the rehome TAG. I adopted my CAG in January from a rescue. She's about 11 years old, and has adjusted well to her new home. :)

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
I say go with the Rehome first... just see if there's any connection. You'd be surprised with how happy they are to be "rescued." Not that this bird is in a bad situation, but to have a home with more attention, affection, and care can really improve her life : ) and they are appreciative.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Wow lots of people talking here about timmies. I paid $950 for Rosie 3 years ago and the CAGs were $1200 at that time. I was looking for a congo but when I met the congo and timmie at the same time, Rosie's personalilty was much more friendly and reactive that I chose her. Greys are wonderful birds, either species you choose.

OP
Pookamama

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Pepper, a Timneh African Grey
We are really hoping the timneh works out. Thank you everybody! I'll keep you posted.

Most Reactions