Rehoming 1yr old hen Panama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Tomorrow's the big day. Spent last night fixing up cages...

(Maggie, Sweepea, and Tusk all decided to "help.") It wasn't especially helpful. In fact it took more than twice as long.

Everyone knows there's something up. They're definitely curious now...

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
Mark..I'm so excited for you!! What a big day for you and your flock!! Can't wait for the pictures! :)

OP
henpecked

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Oh yeah. Tomorrow is the big day.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah. Last night assembling the cage. No sooner had I tightened down one side, than Maggie comes along and takes apart the other side, and runs off with the nuts in her beak... refusing to give them back, and basically laughing at me and taunting me with them...

"You're supposed to be paying attention to me right now."

I've got one rope perch that runs the length of the cage. One calcium perch. Three wood perches. A chola perch. A three bell chew toy. A one bell chew toy. A preening toy. A puzzle toy. A swing. And a three wiffle ball porcupine ball toy...

This one is not the least bit shy around toys...

The key is going to be introducing her to Sally... and getting her blessing on the new bird. There's only been one amazon Sally has never liked in all the zon's I've had in this house - and that's the other amazon I have now.

HOPEFULLY this one will be her new buddy bird. That's my ideal situation. She and Bob were best buds. She and Pecker were best buds. She and Rico were best buds... Lila, not so much... Lila she took an instant dislike to, and it has never changed. It's very odd. But that's a zon. The amazon crush, and the amazon anti-crush. It just happens that way sometimes.

If not, I bet she and Tusk and Lila become the three amigos in no time...

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
She's in the air, en route.

A few more hours. When they dropped her off you could hear her chattering away in the background. She apparently kept about ten people very entertained at the counter...

Just finished cleaning my bird room, and doing my Saturday morning chores. Getting lunch, and then I'm off to the airport.

Fortunately, I had a busy morning to keep me from climbing the walls. Getting a new one is always exciting... especially a bird as exceptional as this little girl.

OP
henpecked

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Kiwi was a big hit at the counter. She was talking to everyone who would pay her any attention and she got a lot of that,LOL.

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
Oooh the waiting is killing me!!! I can just imagine how you r feeling mark!!!!

OP
henpecked

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Mark said she rode home on his shoulder , pressed up against his face. Waiting to see what the rest of the flock think.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
OMG! You guys wouldn't believe how sweet she is....

When they brought out her crate, I lifted the cover, and she popped her head up and said "Hi Kiwi!"

Couldn't get the crate open fast enough. She stepped right up, then started giving me kisses...

She rode home on my shoulder, pressed up against my face, preening my hair.

The second she got home, she started bouncing around from toy to toy in her cage...

We've been playing all afternoon...

Those videos do not do this bird justice... her personality is absolutely amazing!!! When I said this bird was a find I didn't use near enough exlamation points!!!

THIS BIRD IS A FIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE HER!!!

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
That's so cool! We want pics and video!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
OMG! You guys wouldn't believe how sweet she is....

When they brought out her crate, I lifted the cover, and she popped her head up and said "Hi Kiwi!"

Couldn't get the crate open fast enough. She stepped right up, then started giving me kisses...

She rode home on my shoulder, pressed up against my face, preening my hair.

The second she got home, she started bouncing around from toy to toy in her cage...

We've been playing all afternoon...

Those videos do not do this bird justice... her personality is absolutely amazing!!! When I said this bird was a find I didn't use near enough exlamation points!!!

THIS BIRD IS A FIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE HER!!!

Congrats. She sounds like a perfect fit.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Congratulations, Mark! I'm glad you and Kiwi have found each other! Keep the updates coming!

OP
henpecked

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
I tried to tell ya ! That's a great bird. Happy she went . To someone who can appreciate her. BTW I still have a couple more.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
She played with her toys non-stop for about three hours, with all five of mine just watching her play. Lila, Tusk, and Sally finally, acutally climbed on the same cage and just sat there. Sally went into the cage, and ate out of Kiwi's bowl.

Kiwi xouldn't care less. Just kept right on playing...

As for that whole, doesn't eat fresh foods? Well, tonight she had grapes, broccoli, snap peas, and chicken... so, uummm... thus far, if she sees another bird eat it, she eats it. (I give one to each of them, they chow down, I feed her last. Eating is a flock activity...) So, that isn't even an issue.

Now she's all worn out. I gave her a high corner perch in the front corner of her cage. She is perched on that, doing the beak clicking noises having trouble keeping her eyes open...

So, yeah, couldn't have hit the ground running any faster than this!

She's exceptional!!!

And I had sooooo much fun playing with her tonight.

She's a GREAT addition to my flock!!!

And she most definately has a home for life here...

miloslave

May 17, 2010
South Africa - Cape Town
Parrots
Mustache Parakeet - Milo
CAG - Charlie
Wow, so happy to hear she is doing so well and fitting right into your flock. Maybe just a tad jealous, lol. Congratulations on your new baby!

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
Congrats on the new baby coming home. Sounds like she has settled in well already. :)

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Your excitement is contagious! I couldn't stop grinning and laughing at your explanation marks. I'm so happy that she has found such a wonderful home with you. She and you couldn't be any more fortunate [emoji16]

greytness

Sep 11, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
3 CAGs, BHC, 2 duskie conures, Jardine's, Meyers, pineapple GCC, eclectus, miligold macaw, scarlet macaw, & Panama Amazon
I'm new here and have just started following this thread. Congrats to Birdman! I, too, own a Panama Amazon and love him or her to pieces. Have considered bringing in one more Pan Am if I can find one as sweet as the one you just acquired. Congrats to you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts