Rehoming: Sulfur-Crusted Cockatoo

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Also try posting through pet finder or going to local bird shows/fairs with her. The best thing you can do is just get her pretty face out there. People will come when they see her!

Good idea in principle but can be risky in terms of health, it is unknown who is there and if all the other birds are healthy. :)

OP
Z

zbrock06

Nov 16, 2015
Thank you for the responses. I do not want to bring her to shows as I have no idea who/what is there as far as diseases for the bird.

I will look into Hoobly. Thank you.

WilliamKenyon

Aug 21, 2015
Media
Parrots
Mango: Male cockatiel, Ruby: Female eclectus
Bump!! I really hope you find her a new home soon. Btw she looks more like a greater sulfur crested too (just like the ones we have flying around wild here :)

ahmadses

Apr 14, 2017
Loudoun County, Virginia
Parrots
Two Budgies
Bandit and Sparky after my two favorite characters in a game called Clash Royale
Hey man can you contact me, I am super interested...
Here is a super quick update
I'm 15, and every Sunday I go to a bird shelter to take care of birds.
I always hang out with the Macaws and Cockatoos.
I currently have 2 budgies and one Green Cheek Conjure.
My dad owns a house so there would be no problem there.
They will either be in the middle of the second level of our house (So she can meet people) or HER OWN ROOM.
We can facetime if you like or you can come over or vice versa. My friend has agreed to drive me over as he has a license or my dad.
I love birds and would be the HAPPIEST person alive if I got a cockatoo!!!
If you're interested call me or text me!!!!
Thank you for reading I would be HONORED to take care of it.
Good day!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
I can see your excitement at the thought of getting a 'too but have you seen All About Cockatoos - MyToos.com which really spells out what it is like to own one. You say you have reached the great age of 15 years old which IMO is too young. Cockatoos are expensive when they get sick, need toys on regular supply and a large expensive cage. Your social time would be severely cramped, you may not mind now but what happens when you want to go find love? Would you want to go to college or university? How would that work? Can see you are well intentioned but please be sensible and wait until your life has settled down and is more mapped out before going for a Cockatoo or a Macaw for that matter. Both are very long lived and demand a lot to be happy and healthy. A little patience will definitely pay off, believe me! :)

Last edited:

ahmadses

Apr 14, 2017
Loudoun County, Virginia
Parrots
Two Budgies
Bandit and Sparky after my two favorite characters in a game called Clash Royale
I can see your excitement at the thought of getting a 'too but have you seen All About Cockatoos - MyToos.com which really spells out what it is like to own one. You say you have reached the great age of 15 years old which IMO is too young. Cockatoos are expensive when they get sick, need toys on regular supply and a large expensive cage. Your social time would be severely cramped, you may not mind now but what happens when you want to go find love? Would you want to go to college or university? How would that work? Can see you are well intentioned but please be sensible and wait until your life has settled down and is more mapped out before going for a Cockatoo or a Macaw for that matter. Both are very long lived and demand a lot to be happy and healthy. A little patience will definitely pay off, believe me! :)

I understand you think i'm too young to take care of it, but my parents have BOTH agreed to pay for it I will just be the one who plays with him and cleans his cage. My dad understands and has read all the posts and has money saved up in the case of a sickness, I am almost sure I can take care of it.

ahmadses

Apr 14, 2017
Loudoun County, Virginia
Parrots
Two Budgies

I also read the post and i'm not sure if i'm being a stubborn brat or not, I really think I can do it. Next year I am taking easier classes which means I will have much more time, and on top of that I always cook dinner, so I could just make food for the 'too, and I have a huge cage (Someone gave it to us for our two budgies lol. Like its meant for Macaws and whatnot).

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.

I also read the post and i'm not sure if i'm being a stubborn brat or not, I really think I can do it. Next year I am taking easier classes which means I will have much more time, and on top of that I always cook dinner, so I could just make food for the 'too, and I have a huge cage (Someone gave it to us for our two budgies lol. Like its meant for Macaws and whatnot).

Yes I hear what you are saying and understand the attraction. Not being negative or down on you just sensible. These birds are a huge commitment with a life expectancy of approx 40 - 60 years. I think the birds would benefit from you being a bit more mature in years before taking on such a commitment. If you re-home one, they often come with baggage from their previous homes which needs to be either overcome or lived with, not easy. For the bird being dependant on a human is bad enough but also being dependant on its parents leaves it more vulnerable, in life as they say cr$p happens. You probably do not believe what I am saying so go read some of the hard luck stories that fill the internet.

You are going to change a lot in the next few years as you find your feet and become independent from your parents. A suggestion for now would be to see if you can find somewhere where you can do voluntary work, are there any breeders or parrot rescue centres that would be happy to have you help them out and in the process have hands on learning about the birds you hanker for? If not sure maybe an Avian Vet in your area would know of one to contact. Have you followed the posts of Birdman666, if not please do so you could learn from him. Use the search function for this. He is very experienced and well respected on here maybe reach out to him for some input? The ideal is that you have a bird and you are it's carer and provide it with a loving home for the rest of it's life, not have to pass it along because your life has changed in some way due to: job change, relocation, marriage, divorce, illness for starters. At the age of 15 it is not possible or would be totally stupid to say 'my life won't change'. You offer a simplistic view of life at the moment. Life in general is hard enough with difficult choices along the way and doesn't need to be made harder when all that is required is some patience for a while.

My sincercere apologies to zbrock06 for totally going away from the OP. Felt this was important topic though.

Last edited:
OP
Z

zbrock06

Nov 16, 2015
Sorry, I have not posted any updates lately. I still have the cockatoo, she is perfectly fine where she is which is why I am not actively or rushing to find her a home. If the perfect home comes along, then I would be happy to re-home her. She is becoming a better bird. I will try to update more often.

Most Reactions