so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Antibiotics can give birds upset digestion or diarrhea and that can cause dehydration. Some of them can also damage the liver. I have read a lot of references to using " aloe detox" in their water and food to help protect the liver, but I don't have any experience with it. It's not toxic and shouldn't do any harm. Oh, I hope Plumas improves!

To be sure you are correct about the side effects of antibiotics.
During the first cores (first time given to him) I did not notice any serious side effects.

When I get home from work I will upload a short video of my poor bird climbing up to the perch from floor of cage.
If I could I would lower perches for safety but food bowls are fixed in place, not sure Plumas would eat from bottom of cage.

Will be calling Vet tomorrow ASAP, let him know pain med has not helped.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Were any labs done for this most recent incident? I'm hoping a CBC was done which shows the white blood cell count. Also define old. My Buddy is about to turn 27 years old. Our fids live long lives. As for aloe detox, I've had positive outcomes with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Were any labs done for this most recent incident? I'm hoping a CBC was done which shows the white blood cell count. Also define old. My Buddy is about to turn 27 years old. Our fids live long lives. As for aloe detox, I've had positive outcomes with it.

When I took Plumas in back in October it was for the same problem. He was falling off his perch but not as frequently.
Blood tests were done then and came back clean. Only the wrong type of gram bacteria in his throat that I was given antibiotics for.

We thought the reason for his falling was overgrown toenails (my fault).
His toenails were clipped and I added a rope perch in his cage for something easer for him to grip.

He seemed to do better until just this last weekend when he took a turn for the worse.
If is earlier falling was not due to his overgrown toenails and his blood work came back negative for any problems I would not expect an infection to cause this problem now. But that is why I am re-starting the antibiotics I got the first time.

Been doing some searching on the web. his symptoms look related to.vestibular syndrome.
I am at work now, will try to research this more at home.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)

When I took Plumas in back in October it was for the same problem. He was falling off his perch but not as frequently.
Blood tests were done then and came back clean. Only the wrong type of gram bacteria in his throat that I was given antibiotics for.

We thought the reason for his falling was overgrown toenails (my fault).
His toenails were clipped and I added a rope perch in his cage for something easer for him to grip.

He seemed to do better until just this last weekend when he took a turn for the worse.
If is earlier falling was not due to his overgrown toenails and his blood work came back negative for any problems I would not expect an infection to cause this problem now. But that is why I am re-starting the antibiotics I got the first time.

Been doing some searching on the web. his symptoms look related to.vestibular syndrome.
I am at work now, will try to research this more at home.

No worries. No shame either. Birds are so hard to to trouble shoot. A CBC would show if his white blood cell count is elevated revealing a possible infection. Hearing he is "wobbly" is a concern, but you are doing what you can.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I brought some foam rubber nice and soft to line the bottom of his cage then put newspaper on top.
At least now he wont injure himself falling (since I can't really lower the perch)
I would not do this in a healthy birds cage, they would tear it up. Plumas doesn't have the energy.
going to try to upload that video now.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Not the greatest example of Plumas's difficulties but it gives you an idea.
He is trying to climb up to the perch.

[ame="https://youtu.be/rDGlBPPf41g"]plumas enfermo - YouTube[/ame]

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Ah bless, still a very determined fella, good news.

Re lowering his cage level, I have some food pots that attach to the cage bars and in fact have tied Plum's food doors shut, would these help?

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Ah bless, still a very determined fella, good news.

Re lowering his cage level, I have some food pots that attach to the cage bars and in fact have tied Plum's food doors shut, would these help?

Early this morning Plumas fell to the bottom again, about 3:00 am.
IS still on the floor 7:30 this morning. going to call the vet soon as they open.
I think setting on the floor is more restful for him. He can't sleep much setting on a perch, too much of his attention and effort goes in to just staying upright.

I have a plate (paper) on floor of cage with some food and a small bowl of water.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
The video indeed shows his level of determination.

Hope the vet can see Plumas asap and diagnose his condition - but more importantly give him comfort and treatment if possible.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I really hope the vet can get Plumas in ASAP.

Curious, has he been tested for heavy metal poisoning yet? Not sure if that is on a standard blood panel. May be worth looking into as it can cause neurological issues.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Talked with the vet on the phone.
His recommendation is to increase dosage of anti-inflammatory med (Metacam) to max dosage.

He does not disagree with the possible diagnosis of vestibular syndrome. His thinking is that as an anti-inflammatory will help reduce symptoms by reducing swelling in the brain. If not helped by 3 days or so there is not much else that can be done.
Right now quality of live for Plumas is 0.
Not eating, not drinking. just siting at bottom of cage trying to stay alive.
Only thing keeping me going is the hope that Plumas can recover.
was healthy bird up until this happened so I think he has a chance.
Biggest unknown is his age, if 35 I think his chances are good.
If 70 .....
:41:

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I really hope the vet can get Plumas in ASAP.

Curious, has he been tested for heavy metal poisoning yet? Not sure if that is on a standard blood panel. May be worth looking into as it can cause neurological issues.

No. I have had him since 1985 and he's been exposed the same cage, toys, and environment as Pacho.
It seems like a long shot to me but I have considered the possibility.
thanks for the idea though.

texsize

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Talked with the vet on the phone.
His recommendation is to increase dosage of anti-inflammatory med (Metacam) to max dosage.

He does not disagree with the possible diagnosis of vestibular syndrome. His thinking is that as an anti-inflammatory will help reduce symptoms by reducing swelling in the brain. If not helped by 3 days or so there is not much else that can be done.
Right now quality of live for Plumas is 0.
Not eating, not drinking. just siting at bottom of cage trying to stay alive.
Only thing keeping me going is the hope that Plumas can recover.
was healthy bird up until this happened so I think he has a chance.
Biggest unknown is his age, if 35 I think his chances are good.
If 70 .....
:41:

Can you try feeding Plumas, he needs to eat and drink something. Worth trying eh? Really rooting for you Plumas!

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
He started eating about an hour ago 9:30 am my time. At a few seeds most of a piece of apple and a bite or two of banana. No water.
He climbed up to his perch (with difficulty) and is resting there.
This all started about 1/2 hour after giving him his medicine. Could be it is starting to help.

While eating I noticed his head movements were irregular and jerky. He was definitely having trouble with fine motor control of his head.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
How anxious you must be....am thinking of you both. Tell Plumas if he gets better, I will send him a toy for Christmas...

My thought exactly, you must be anxious. I hate that feeling.

Most Reactions

Latest posts