OP
Freespin

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
Has anyone ever read anything about this occurring naturally? It seems so wrong and un natural to me but I do often wonder if left completely undisturbed wild animals ever do this...

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Thank you Wendy! That's part of the point I was trying to make with the studies!

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Inbreeding is rampant in nature. Remote islands are often populated by weakly-flighted birds (contrary to logic, perhaps) in small numbers, which then become flightless over time in the absence of predators. There is even a flightless fly on Macquarie Island (an Oz sub-Antarctic island)- the ancestors made it there and then found it was safer to jump from plant to plant rather than try to fly- as it's windy they'd be blown away. "Founder effect" is important too- feral cats only made it to Lord Howe Island from shipwrecks and those I saw there in 1990s were mostly black.

I have a pair of lutino pearl cinnamon 'tiels which came from a cage of about 20 at a bird shop- they look very similar to each other, they've bonded but female has not laid eggs. I worry they are related - even siblings. I had hoped our Pavarotti would choose the female from the other pair but he chose his current partner, Pavarotti and his lady came from bird shops 100km apart.

Last edited:

Megapixel

Banned
Banned
Nov 17, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Senegal, Senegal, Black Capped Conure, Green-cheek Conure, Blue Fronted Amazon
OP
Freespin

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Nelson - Male Eclectus
"I never meant to staaarrrttt a waaaaaarr!!" *Sings Miley*

OP
Freespin

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Nelson - Male Eclectus
Hehe i was going to continue with more but it didnt seem quite as appropriate as that line XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions