Removed Larry's Daytime Play Cage

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
Larry's tail is really getting frayed. Getting worse every day.
First, I'm considering his diet, which is extremely good. He is spoiled and gets the best of conure living hehe. I discuss it with his breeder. We decide it doesn't seem to be a nutritional problem. She just tells me "hmmm...they will grow back" Duhhh, I know that, I just want to figure out what is causing this to happen?
One day, while I'm sitting at the computer next to his playcage while he's climbing all over it, inside & out, swinging from the bottom of the cage, rolling around on the inside and on top of the cage and just having having a ball like he does every day.
I look up from what I'm doing and notice that his tail feathers are criss-crossing and weaving in and out of the wire bars on the cage, like 4 pair of scissors opening and closing simultaneously. A light bulb comes on over my head when I instantly realize that this is what's causing the problem.
I feel like such a dummy, not figuring it out much sooner. Every morning I take him out of his mansion where he sleeps and put him in his play cage where he eats, plays, and bathes. He is on it most of the day.
Today, I removed his play-cage from the room. I put Larry in the bathroom shower area and put him on his perch while I'm removing it so as not to upset him, then I brought him back to his mansion.
I put a table-top play pen on top of a microwave cart on casters that I had in storage. I tied some eucalyptus branches with several smaller branches stemming from them to the posts in the corners of the play pen. He took to it right away! He hasn't figured the whole thing out yet but I'm hoping he will be swinging upside-down again in a couple of days hehehe :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Oh good I'm glad you found the source! You're definitely not stupid Mrs Kay, sometimes it's just not from a reason we think of. I'm so glad that Larry has taken to his new play stand! I'm sure he'll be at home on it in no time :)

OP
MrsKay

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
Thank you very much. Actually, I lied. Larry is already 'hang'in around' on his new toy! He is such a kick. I think I'll add even more tree branches up higher.
I believe he thinks he's 100 feet high in the treetops of Brazil!!! hahahaha
You can see him off on the right in this photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20140831_202945278 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20140831_202945278 - Copy.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 109

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Oh! That is TOO cute! I had to look for the little guy at first haha. Look at his body position! :D

Most Reactions