Reptile cork for bird cage?

BIRDLUV

Feb 23, 2013
xwy6a.jpg

I was watching this video on youtube and I was wondering if using reptile cork is safe for a bird cage?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hlL169hnw8]How to build a comfortable cage set up for small parrots - YouTube[/ame]​

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Wow, that is a busy cage. Kinda looks like a birdy paradise.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Wow, that's a really nice set up. I'm jealous! I like all the plants he put inside. I wonder what they are?

It must be a pain to clean all the poop and dried fruits/veggies from the wooden surfaces though.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I've always loved this video, such a great set up for the fids. I don't know if reptile cork is safe for not unfortunately.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
The plants are cat grass like you buy in the pets store and the stem near the corn is sweet basil the herb used in cooking. Thanks for sharing the video .It has some really interesting ideas

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I have used cork slabs with my birds for a long time. I got them at a garden center, used for mounting air plants. Birds will chew the cork into pieces, but, not eat it. I'd think that any untreated cork would be fine, like for reptiles or rodents. I also give my fids wine bottle corks to chew. Now, even though the birds will not eat the cork, there is a possibility that they could swallow a piece, and that could be a problem. I've used cork for years, with many birds, without any problems. And being natural & organic plant material, I think they may even be able to digest a bit of cork. But, like everything else that we introduce into their environments, we must watch carefully for any situations that could arise.

Most Reactions