Retooling the ekkie diet nomenclature

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I've been contemplating how we communicate the ekkie diet. We always say "fresh fruit and vegetable diet is best". Then talk about high fiber requirements.

When you think about it, how is saying fresh fruit and veg for ekkies any different from saying the same thing for macaws? It's not, and communicates somehat inaccurate information when you consider you're recommending the same diet.

I would propose and put this up for debate that it would be far more accurate to say the ideal diet for an ekkie is NOT fresh fruit and veg, given their relatively low fruit requirement.

Rather, I suggest it would be more accurate to say the ideal ekkie diet is a whole grain and vegetable diet, which is more inclusive of the oft-quoted "high fiber and vitamin A dietary requirements" since many sources of vitamin A are often in the vegetable category (carrots, bell peppers, etc).

So what say you, great ekkie jury. "Whole grain and veg diet" more accurate than "fresh fruit and veg diet"?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I always, no matter what species I'm talking about, use the word "veggies" before fruit or grains. I do this because it's so easy to over emphasize fruit and thus feed way more sugar than necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Are eclectus parrots among the group with extra requirements for Vitamin K? I read something recently about some parrots dying from internal bleeding because of a Vitamin K imbalance, but for the life of me can't find it now.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
This is a great subject!

Yaaa, I know, I'm an Amazon Snob, so what the heck am I doing here?

The whole diet discussion in the World of Parrots has come to where it is today as a result of major Warring Groups that have their 'pet' diet 'base' temple. The good news is that as a Group, we appear to have come to this place, where an open discussion can occur and what is best for 'each' Species can be better defined.

Ekkies, have suffer the greatest and should be the first Species for a clear and open diet discussion.

May the great diet wars forever end here!

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I always, no matter what species I'm talking about, use the word "veggies" before fruit or grains. I do this because it's so easy to over emphasize fruit and thus feed way more sugar than necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. That was forefront of my mind as I wrote this post. And exactly why I put whole grain first :)

Are eclectus parrots among the group with extra requirements for Vitamin K? I read something recently about some parrots dying from internal bleeding because of a Vitamin K imbalance, but for the life of me can't find it now.

Not that I'm aware of. I feel like you have to work hard to be K sufficient?

This is a great subject!

Yaaa, I know, I'm an Amazon Snob, so what the heck am I doing here?

The whole diet discussion in the World of Parrots has come to where it is today as a result of major Warring Groups that have their 'pet' diet 'base' temple. The good news is that as a Group, we appear to have come to this place, where an open discussion can occur and what is best for 'each' Species can be better defined.

Ekkies, have suffer the greatest and should be the first Species for a clear and open diet discussion.

May the great diet wars forever end here!

Steven, you're input always has value, amaz-nob or otherwise :). I agree, finding new ways to advance the conversation is how we evolve. When you realize you're recommending the same diet for species you acknowledge have very different requirements, you really have to stop and think.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Great topic, Chris!

Personally, when recommending the diet for ekkies, I always emphasize veggies before fruits. Particularly foods rich in Vitamin A. This is not to say that there aren't powerhouse fruits out there. Blueberries and pomegranates particularly spring to mind. Not to mention that, in their natural habitats, eclectus parrots are actually obligate frugivores. Unfortunately, however, most of the fruits we have readily available don't have the nutritional punch of those from their habitats. Vegetables come closest.

As for fresh food requirements being the same for birds with different dietary needs, I'd say this. I actually believe that the best fresh food diet for ekkies also serves as the best diet for most parrots in general. I think the difference largely comes into play in terms of how far we can deviate from that "best" diet. Eclectus parrots just have far less room for deviation than other parrots do.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have listed below a diet outline for Amazons. Can this 'base' document be altered and/or adjust its percentages, add or remove items, or change an items placement in the list? Example: Move fruits away from Veggies.

Suggestions for a Healthy Amazon Diet:

“Up to 20% - Quality Proteins: such as Parrot Pellet diet (no artificial colorings, low to no sugar or salt), tofu, low-fat cottage cheese or yogurt, very hard boiled eggs, well-cooked chicken or turkey, a combination of various grains such as quinoa and corn, enriched pasta, cooked beans, nuts and small amounts of nut butters.

About 30 - 35% - Vitamin A Produce: various greens such as collards, mustard, turnip, kale, chard, spinach, broccoli and commercial dandelion, peppers, carrots, dark orange yams and sweet potatoes, winter squash, peaches, apricots and papaya.

15 - 25% - Other Vegetables and Fruits: peas, bean sprouts, Summer squash, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, beets, tomato, potato, apples, grapes, banana, mango, pomegranate, oranges, figs, guava and berries of all kinds.

15 - 25% Whole Grains: whole grain pasta, brown rice, low fat granola, amaranth, oats, commercial /home produced ‘quality cooking mixes’ for Parrots (no sugar cereals).

No More than 5 - 15% Fats: EFA’s such as Flax seed oil added to food, nut, seeds, small amounts of low salt cheese, occasional commercially produced meal worms.

Items not to be found in an Amazon’s Diet: salt, sugar, animal fat, butter, bacon, chocolate, avocado, rhubarb, soft cooked eggs, rare meat of any kind, caffeine, dog food, cat food, monkey food (no foods formulated for other pets or wild animals). This is not a complete list!!!

NOTE:
There is no such thing as a diet that Everyone in this Wide and Wonderful World of Amazons will full agree too! That said; this diet provides a solid foundation that meets the general agreement of many experienced Amazon owners with only minor changes in percentages and/or content. You will note that the low and high percentages will provide either less or more than 100%. This occurs to allow for natural variation /availability though out a year and the hardcore likes and dislikes of your specific Amazon.

In addition, with the wide range of Amazons in physical size, activity, metabolic rate and the quality of the food provided. There is no hard and fast amount (measurable in grams) of ‘food’ provided. The only type of food that would lend itself to a formatted diet is Parrot Pellets. Although, Parrot Pellets had been believed to be a ‘complete’ diet product. The Pellet only approach is quickly being replaced by the abundant across-section diet that relies heavily on the greatest percentage being Fresh Healthy Foods as found above.

Conflict regarding Pellets:

So if this is true, why are so many Avian Vets recommending 100% Parrot Pellet Diets! Simple! In general, they do not believe that their clients will follow their recommendations and their hope is that the client will provide at least some Parrot Pellets in addition to the ‘all seed.’ Every time a diet as defined above is presented to an Avian Vet, they agree with and support such a diet!

NOTE: The diet provided assume that the food sources are all ‘Human Grade’ and if processed, is only processed in a ‘Human Grade’ approved facility.

Most Reactions