Will his feather colur change ?
Would he shed ?

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
I also thought his feathers looked a bit 'rough', that's why I asked about bathing. With a good diet and lots of showers, his feathers will be beautiful after he's had a molt. Molts happen a bit on 'nature's schedule' (although you could make a good guess about when to expect it by chatting to parronts that live in your country) so just make sure you're doing what you can (good food and baths) so that when it happens, Rio's ready to make gorgeous new feathers ;)

OP
hamza.ayub

hamza.ayub

Feb 22, 2014
England,Lancashire
Parrots
I have a mealy amazon
I also thought his feathers looked a bit 'rough', that's why I asked about bathing. With a good diet and lots of showers, his feathers will be beautiful after he's had a molt. Molts happen a bit on 'nature's schedule' (although you could make a good guess about when to expect it by chatting to parronts that live in your country) so just make sure you're doing what you can (good food and baths) so that when it happens, Rio's ready to make gorgeous new feathers ;)
Hi I was wondering how shall I bath him and which shampoo I can youse and roughly how long would it take

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Don't use any soap of any kind! Just water is fine. Provide a crock of water, he will bath himself.

Mattroma

Oct 22, 2013
Ma
Parrots
Quinn- Harlequin
Lemon and Blueberry Budgies
Don't fill it up too much. Just enough for him to splash in.

MJ01

Feb 19, 2014
Hi I was wondering how shall I bath him and which shampoo I can youse and roughly how long would it take

Do not use shampoo or soap or any products just get any clean bowl or container That's a good size for him to have a splash in fill it with room tempreture water

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Never use shampoo, soap or any other kind of chemicals on your bird. You can provide him a large dish for bathing OR try him with a squirt bottle on the "mist" setting and lukewarm water in it. Most amazons LOVE baths, and it can make a huge difference in the way they look after they're nice and clean. Once a week is the minimum, but many birds appreciate baths more often than that.

And beyond getting dirty, the health of a feather comes from the inside out. Keep him on a healthy diet and you will (slowly, as in, a few years from now) notice him taking on a nicer look. Parrots have one major molt a year, where they loose a significant amount of feathers in a short period of time and continually loose and replace the odd feather here and there.

Most Reactions

Latest posts