LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I am so sorry for your grief, Cheddar and you both tried your best - and it was a great effort.
Love and be loved ...in the end that is all that matters, the rest is just filler.

She needed you in her life, you were there.

(maybe she needed to be away from you for a bit because she could not let go otherwise; it is why sometimes animals hide as well - it is their time, even though they do not really want to leave their people, they have to)

Christa & Gail are right! And beer and tears are right too! In fact I think I'll join you in both...

OP
YUMgrinder

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
Before I self destruct, I wanted to thank you all. You are all very kind. It's very comforting. People around here don't care about birds, cause they aren't "real" pets.

They are. And I really loved her.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I am so so sorry. That is heartbreaking..Thank God you cared for her so much! She wouldn't have been so lucky in many homes. What a precious bird. :(
Also, there was already something very wrong. I remember your last post. If you hadn't taken her, I have a feeling this would have happened anyway. Don't beat yourself up for being a responsible parront....again, she was very sick already (that is why you were taking her in). The symptoms you described sound very much like a long-term/serious illness....I know that may not make it easier, but I am certain.

The vet could do a necroscopy and that would give you more information. I know that is horrible to think about and I am not trying to stress you out further, but my biggest concern is/was that she may have had PBFD...If you plan to get another bird, this illness is shed in feather dust, poop, dander etc etc and remains viable on surfaces for a very long time- AKA all over your carpets etc. Even with focused cleaning, is very hard to "kill"...SO, if there is a way to determine what Cheddar had, it will help you better protect any future birds (as they could contract certain contagious illnesses months later, just from being in the same home).

Last edited:

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
You've always been an amazing parront taking your buddies on trips and what not. I agree with Noodles, Dirpy was already sick probably sick from the day your brought her home. She knew the best life possible with you. I'm so sorry for your loss. Its better to not talk about our FIDS to people that don't understand how much they mean to us. whether their intent is to make you feel better or not. People that have never shared a close bond with a feathered or furry family member just don't understand.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Noooooooo!! Finley and I are very upset and sorry for your loss. I hope my weird defective Nanday doesn't suffer the same fate in the near future. My deepest condolences.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I am so incredibly sorry for your loss! My daughter, working with a CAV, very common problem! The parrot is incredibly sick, and the shock of the vet working with him, causes him to pass!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Just going with tea and tears here.
I know all lives end at some point and for some it is even a relief (no more fighting) but emotionally...so not okay with that.

We are there right with you!
and no way Cheddar was 'just a bird" *never that*.
She was your very special friend and we will remember!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Oh I'm so sorry...

I know you're hurting right now so you aren't going to see this or believe it for a while, but Chedder was a very sick little bird. The fact that gained a few grams had nothing to do with making her better, she was unfortunately not given a healthy or fair start at life due to her breeder, not because of anything you did. The only way that you could have made her better was to take her to the Avian Vet and try to figure out what, if anything, could be done to help her. She looked very, very sick in that photo. You didn't do this, you were the solution, not the cause. And if I had to bet everything I own, I'd bet that Chedder was suffering quite a bit, and would not have made it much longer at all, regardless of the trip to the Vet. You did everything you could to help her, and you did everything right, everything that myself or any one of us would have done. And I'm sure that Chedder knew that you were trying to help her, she was just tired YumGrinder, and now she's at peace and no longer sick or in pain.

OP
YUMgrinder

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
Thank you all. Yes they are doing a post mortem, and if she was sick, and it was contagious then the rest of my flock is in danger. So hopefully the tests come back with nothing that can take my other fids. Crossing my fingers. I miss her badly this morning, her little dirpy chirps as I uncover her cage. I took a video of cheddar at the vet. Here are some of her last moments.

[ame="https://youtu.be/K3AdaXkUpis"]https://youtu.be/K3AdaXkUpis[/ame]

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

Honestly...she looks very very ill. I think no matter what happened she would have passed in the near future. I go on about my Finley looking ragged and he's got his neurological issues but he looks nothing like that even at his worst. I truly hope she wasn't contagious because I'm scared for your flock. Please let us know what the cause of death was. I truly feel bad for you and your flock. I do think you gave her a fighting chance and saved her life for as long as you could. I commend you for that.

OP
YUMgrinder

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
Honestly...she looks very very ill. I think no matter what happened she would have passed in the near future. I go on about my Finley looking ragged and he's got his neurological issues but he looks nothing like that even at his worst. I truly hope she wasn't contagious because I'm scared for your flock. Please let us know what the cause of death was. I truly feel bad for you and your flock. I do think you gave her a fighting chance and saved her life for as long as you could. I commend you for that.

yes, she was pretty ragged. I asked her to preen herself but she would rather just snuggle. in the video, that's the head bobbing I was talking about in an earlier post. Maybe it's hard for me to see it since she's always been a little strange but she was beautiful to me preened or not.

When I got home yesterday with her in the little sealed box the vet put her in for me, I couldn't bear to open it. I came in to door and had planned on letting jazz say goodbye but he was singing such a happy tune when I got home I decided neither I or the birds would see her lifeless body and had my gf bury her in our flower pot out front of my shop. I'll get to plant flowers for her in the spring. I miss her.

Yes, I will share the results when I get them! If my flock is infected.... I am not sure what the hell I am going to do.

Last edited:

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

I'm kind of saying that the not preening had something to do with her being sick not that she wasn't beautiful. She was still beautiful preened or not but it probably had to do with her illness and also not shedding her feathers. It's that the raggedness is part of her being not quite right. Poor baby ..she sure did have enough love though... that I'm sure of.

OP
YUMgrinder

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
I'm kind of saying that the not preening had something to do with her being sick not that she wasn't beautiful. She was still beautiful preened or not but it probably had to do with her illness and also not shedding her feathers. It's that the raggedness is part of her being not quite right. Poor baby ..she sure did have enough love though... that I'm sure of.

oh yes, I wasn't saying that you said she wasn't beautiful... I was just saying that cause I hope she knows she didn't have to be perfect for me or our family. sorry if it sounded that way!

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Sun t̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶i̶s̶t̶ C̶o̶n̶u̶r̶e̶ terrorist Cytrynka (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fiona (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fionek (M)
Your words are a great testimony of your love to Cheddar. I'm sure she felt loved until her last heartbeat.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I am sorry, my deepest condolences. Cheddar was so beloved and no doubt knew you cherished her. There are insufficient words, only support in a time of grief. Hold tight Cheddar's beautiful memories.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Oh I’m so sorry to hear of your devastating loss! The words here on this thread show how valuable you and your flock are to all of us here. Take care of yourself and check in please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
She really did look quite ill and unhealthy in-general, and again, that's nothing you did at all...That head-bobbing combined with her general behavior and appearance really does look like a horrible neurological condition, combined with some type of physical illness. There are certain Avian diseases that cause these types of neurological/physical behaviors, such as Psittacosis in it's late stages, but if it was something like that I would think she would be wheezing as well...

I hope that it's not anything contagious for your sake and the sake of your flock; this is the one time that having something be just horrible breeding/hand-feeding/weaning practices would be a blessing.

OP
YUMgrinder

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
Day 2 with cheddar gone. I miss her dearly. I look at her cage and wonder what she would be doing right now. She'd be waiting to be let out so she can say good morning. She loved the warmth of the sun in the morning, and my neck. I would be giving her kisses while she looks at me with those sweet eyes. A little sqwuak here, little squak there. Jazz would be making sure cheddar is safe, almost like her personal bodyguard.

Imma share this picture today, one with her buddy Jazz helping her out with preening,

yumgrinder-albums-flock-picture19564-mvimg-20180307-095341.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts