LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
“I will lend to you a bird” God said, “and teach you all you have to do,
And when I call her back to Heaven you will know she loved you too”

Anon

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Oh no ! I hate to read posts like this , especially from dedicated members who clearly love their birds. I had to make a donation in Cheddar's name to the Cornell Univ Avian Studies program, stipulated to be used exclusivey on parrot related studies and programs. I don't know how else to commemorate Cheddar's life with you.

OP
YUMgrinder

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
Oh no ! I hate to read posts like this , especially from dedicated members who clearly love their birds. I had to make a donation in Cheddar's name to the Cornell Univ Avian Studies program, stipulated to be used exclusivey on parrot related studies and programs. I don't know how else to commemorate Cheddar's life with you.

Thank you, and thank you all for the kind words.

It's a week now since she left me. I miss her. I still tear up when I think of her. she should be here with me. I dont know why, or how, but the receipt from purchasing her last year popped up in my truck all of a sudden in a place it shouldn't have been. Not sure how it survived a year without me noticing it. She was exactly the same weight the day she died. 97 grams. She was up to 120 grams at one point. I was so proud of her but the weight gain didn't last.

yumgrinder-albums-flock-picture20824-img-20181112-220048.jpg

Here's another photo of her from the day before she passed. Not sure why the photos are being turned on me here.....

yumgrinder-albums-flock-picture20826-00100lportrait-00100-burst20181102165019084-cover.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
She is telling you she is thankful for all the love you gave her, and that she’s still around, and that she will always with you, and always love you even if she can’t be with you anymore. She will never really leave your side. ❤️

OP
YUMgrinder

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
Thanks that was beautiful. I found another cute video of her I'd like to share. The title says "he" but it must have been before we knew, or I just screwed up lol.

I want another nanday now so bad. She was special though.

[ame="https://youtu.be/bRP8YzfPxMI"]https://youtu.be/bRP8YzfPxMI[/ame]

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
When I see Cheddar's pics and vids, I am sad that she isn't still with you:(

tytbody

Jun 20, 2011
Thanks that was beautiful. I found another cute video of her I'd like to share. The title says "he" but it must have been before we knew, or I just screwed up lol.

https://youtu.be/bRP8YzfPxMI

so sorry for your loss. Please tell me how your pet shop experience went. was he tame?

how old was he?

Reason I ask is because I am looking at a Nanday from a pet shop also

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so very sorry for your loss of Cheddar. She was such a beauty and so obviously well loved. My heart breaks for you.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Nothing can ever replace Cheddar, but I hope the pictures and videos bring comfort as you grieve.

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Sun t̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶i̶s̶t̶ C̶o̶n̶u̶r̶e̶ terrorist Cytrynka (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fiona (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fionek (M)
She is telling you she is thankful for all the love you gave her, and that she’s still around, and that she will always with you, and always love you even if she can’t be with you anymore. She will never really leave your side. ❤️

So truly and so deeply heart-touching words. Made my eyes wet..

OP
YUMgrinder

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies

so sorry for your loss. Please tell me how your pet shop experience went. was he tame?

how old was he?

She had been at petco for awhile, and was losing weight. They took her off the store floor and put her in the "wellness center" which was a closet. I asked to see her anyway and she went straight for my neck and cuddled and wouldn't let go. They allowed me to take her for half off as the manager knew me and that I had birds, from there on things went well, she gained weight and was lively. She loved her grapes. I gave her as many as she wanted. I have bought a couple birds from my local store, and I like them but the breeder def screwed up with cheddar at some point. She was probably 6 months old when I got her, maybe less. She was only 1 and a half when she passed.

OP
YUMgrinder

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
Nothing can ever replace Cheddar, but I hope the pictures and videos bring comfort as you grieve.

They do, but they also bring more pain.

tytbody

Jun 20, 2011

how old was he?

She had been at petco for awhile, and was losing weight. They took her off the store floor and put her in the "wellness center" which was a closet. I asked to see her anyway and she went straight for my neck and cuddled and wouldn't let go. They allowed me to take her for half off as the manager knew me and that I had birds, from there on things went well, she gained weight and was lively. She loved her grapes. I gave her as many as she wanted. I have bought a couple birds from my local store, and I like them but the breeder def screwed up with cheddar at some point. She was probably 6 months old when I got her, maybe less. She was only 1 and a half when she passed.

thank you. she wanted to to the rainbow bridge at home. not in a store

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. Deepest condolences for your loss, I'm so very sorry. I know the pain feels overwhelming and you can't imagine how you'll get past it, sadly there's no band-aid for grief, there's five stages and you have to get through all of them, then you start to heal. It sounds like you are really struggling with the ending, sometimes we are faced with awful decisions and even though we make the only decision we can in our loved one's best interest the final outcome is unthinkable, that doesn't mean you made the wrong decision. It helps to remember, our feathered friends live in the moment, their love for us is pure, they don't contemplate what might have been the way we do. You gave Cheddar so many happy moments and I admire your courage for wanting to be there for Cheddar no matter what it would have done to your heart, a lot of people can't find that kind of courage when those last moments arrive. Cheddar was never alone, you where with her every step of the journey.

OP
YUMgrinder

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. Deepest condolences for your loss, I'm so very sorry. I know the pain feels overwhelming and you can't imagine how you'll get past it, sadly there's no band-aid for grief, there's five stages and you have to get through all of them, then you start to heal. It sounds like you are really struggling with the ending, sometimes we are faced with awful decisions and even though we make the only decision we can in our loved one's best interest the final outcome is unthinkable, that doesn't mean you made the wrong decision. It helps to remember, our feathered friends live in the moment, their love for us is pure, they don't contemplate what might have been the way we do. You gave Cheddar so many happy moments and I admire your courage for wanting to be there for Cheddar no matter what it would have done to your heart, a lot of people can't find that kind of courage when those last moments arrive. Cheddar was never alone, you where with her every step of the journey.

Thank you. I think the hardest part is the way she went. If I knew how badly it was gonna end I wouldn't have left her at the vet. I just wish I could've snuggled with her one last time. I am so thankful when the doc went to take her to the back, I stopped him and took cheddar in my hands and gave her a big old kiss right on the beak and I told her I'd see her later. I am so glad I got that last kiss in. every thought of her brings tears to my eyes. She won't let go of my heart, but I don't think I want her to let go... I still cry when I am alone, but don't tell anyone. I wouldn't want anyone I know to know I can cry lol

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Something a late night sneaky cry is what's needed. When Burt The Bird passes I wasn't a member of the forum, so there was no one who understood my pain in my life. I'm so glad to be here now to say I understand , I care, and it warms my heart to see this community come together to support each other. I hope, because you seem like such a great bird person, that maybe a rescue parrot finds it's way to you to be saved . If it wasn't for my Burt, I wouldn't have rescued Penny.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Cry ahead- it's healthy. (I'll never trust a person that does not shed tears oce in a while.)

They always tell us to rinse a wound to clean it and makes sure it heals well instead of festering-- tears are the way you clean the wounds of the heart and soul.

tytbody

Jun 20, 2011

Thank you. I think the hardest part is the way she went. If I knew how badly it was gonna end I wouldn't have left her at the vet. I just wish I could've snuggled with her one last time. I am so thankful when the doc went to take her to the back, I stopped him and took cheddar in my hands and gave her a big old kiss right on the beak and I told her I'd see her later. I am so glad I got that last kiss in. every thought of her brings tears to my eyes. She won't let go of my heart, but I don't think I want her to let go... I still cry when I am alone, but don't tell anyone. I wouldn't want anyone I know to know I can cry lol

you are doing what is normal in the passing of a life. You will shed more and don't try to stop them.. It heals you.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Oh how all of this really hits home for me personally with my Nanday whom is also not quite right. Even so I do believe the Nanday Conure are a special type of bird. I am a member of a group on facebook for Nandays and I hear conflicting reports of their demeanor and behavior. Some say they are the sweetest birds alive while a majority said their bird is mean (matter of opinion) and tough as nails and not cuddly at all. I have experienced both sides of said beautiful creature and I have to say my journey with Finley has been very rewarding so far. I also think the Nanday Conure demands A LOT more attention than most conures if you want then to stay socialized, personable and happy. If have learned one thing about them that would be it. I honestly HAVE to spend SOOOOOOOO much time with Finley or he takes it really hard and it will trigger his mental issues so I have to be super on top of it. I would say for those out there who are getting or want a Nanday please make sure you have enough time for them nor it will not turn out well. I know Chaddar's favorite time spent was cuddling up to your neck and I know you gave her the love and attention she craved. I would however caution you to not get another Nanday just yet because this Nanday maybe a wired of hell cat who may never want to cuddle and remind you nothing of Cheddar and that could be really really tough. I know people who put in the time and effort and see little to no results with their Nanday. I personally put in double time and tripled my efforts and I think that is the reason I have been mostly successful with Finley and it was in no way easy and still isn't.

Most Reactions