Rope choices

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
Zulu, blue quaker parrot (5.30.13)
For all you toy makers out there... can you please save me from further headache and paranoia and suggest what your go to brands are for rope-making projects? All of the toys I've been looking online for ideas, and have found several toys that have given me inspiration. They make reference to cotton and/or sisal... but it's nothing like any of the cotton/sisal I'm able to locate. I've been using really thin hemp cord (or maybe it's jute cord). It's fine for the small projects I've been doing, but I'd like to make slightly larger toys.

I'm looking to make toys along the lines of this:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Paradise-Sisal-Pet-Wreath-8-Inch/dp/B002EOAOSS/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1390435973&sr=8-26&keywords=bird+preening+toys]Amazon.com: Paradise Sisal Pet Wreath Toy, 8-Inch: Pet Supplies[/ame]
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Paradise-13-Inch-Cotton-Preening-Medium/dp/B002C7CPLG/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1390436038&sr=8-33&keywords=bird+preening+toys]Amazon.com: Paradise 1/2 by 13-Inch Cotton Preening Knot Chew Toy, Medium: Pet Supplies[/ame]
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Paradise-8-Inch-Preening-Block-Mini/dp/B003PLAOZC/ref=sr_1_74?ie=UTF8&qid=1390436114&sr=8-74&keywords=bird+preening+toys]Amazon.com: Paradise 3 by 8-Inch Preening Block Pet Toy, Mini: Pet Supplies[/ame]

TIA!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I've purchased various ropes from mysafebirdstore.com before, but you could probably go to your local fabric/craft store and pick up some 100% cotton rope, or a roll of untreated sisal rope.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Jen, the 1/4" thick sisal I use consists of 3 strands tightly wound. They are quite easy to UN-wind, so you'll get TONS of use out of one spool. Since you will be using it for your lovely Quaker, using the entire thickness might be a bit too much for birdy-love. ;)

OP
JenJen

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
Thanks, Wendy! I hope to head out to Lowe's this weekend to see if I can find some. Zulu really loves preening, so I hope to make quite a few preening toys for him out of this. Maybe even dyed... ;)

I appreciate the help!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
If you'd like to try soft cotton rope, you can get that at fabric stores where it's sold as 'piping cord'. It comes in thicknesses from 2mm right up to 2cm and it's great for winding around metal rings (also to be had at fabric and craft stores). When you use cotton rope, always wind it as tightly as you can and secure the ends very firmly with wire or tightly-wound string. This is so that your bird can't pull fibres out of the rope and either get tangled in them or swallow them. My birds don't generally like to chew rope, so I find it OK. You'll need to watch your bird at first to see what he likes to do with it. :)

OP
JenJen

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
A trip to Tractor Supply for cat food turned into an impromptu bird toy making spree. I found vet wrap on sale (four rolls for $5), sisal rope and stainless steel quick links. The link and sisal were a bit pricey but I think they might work. What do you think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
OP
JenJen

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
Sorry...my ipad is acting up and won't let me post more that one attachment! This is the four pack of vet wrap I found.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 232

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
A trip to Tractor Supply for cat food turned into an impromptu bird toy making spree. I found vet wrap on sale (four rolls for $5), sisal rope and stainless steel quick links. The link and sisal were a bit pricey but I think they might work. What do you think?

Oh yeah, that'll last you a good while!! :D And GREAT price on the vet wrap!!! :eek: The SS quick links are always pricey. :(

OP
JenJen

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
I don't quite have a need for it the vet wrap just yet, but it seemed like a great price so I picked it up! What do you think of the sisal, Wendy? I didn't see "natural" on it anywhere...or biodegradable... But it has a very earthy scent to it. It reminds me of bale twine.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I don't quite have a need for it the vet wrap just yet, but it seemed like a great price so I picked it up! What do you think of the sisal, Wendy? I didn't see "natural" on it anywhere...or biodegradable... But it has a very earthy scent to it. It reminds me of bale twine.

It looks perfectly safe and natural to me. :) Remember, Zulu can probably perch on it if you use the full thickness. It'll last you a whole lot longer if you separate the strands and make toys that way.

Of course you can always play tug of war with your blue wonder baby. All you have to do is cut a piece, make a knot or two, and you're done.

OP
JenJen

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
I inquired of the company who makes the rope (just to be extra safe), and they told me the sisal is treated with a softening oil. No reply yet as to whether it is bird-friendly and/or safe.

Bummer!

At least I didn't start any projects with it yet.

OP
JenJen

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
The reply from the company is that the oil is 'not toxic'. But there was no direct yes/no (unless you count that?) to my 'is it safe for my bird who does chew on ropes'.

Would any of you still use it?

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Did they tell you what the "softening oil" is made of??

My rule of thumb is if there is any doubt about a certain item, then pass on it.

OP
JenJen

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
Bad news. :( After pressing the spokeswoman further, she said she recommended I not use their product for my bird. Good news... I still have the receipt, so it's off to the store to do a return.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Another HOT DIY ticket for making rope toys.

I have used cotton rope horse leads for my macaws. They were only about $8.00 each, as opposed to a cotton rope bird boing which is $30.00.

A horse lead makes an excellent birdie swing or boing at a bargain basement price...

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Sorry, what is "vet wrap"?

OP
JenJen

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
I believe it's something they use on horses primarily, wrapping their legs. I suppose they could be used to hold bandages on other animals too. Bird owners use it to provide slippery perches (like PVC pipe) with traction.

Most Reactions