Rosie in action *pics*

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Yesterday I wanted to get some good photos of Rosie. I was doing U-turn flights with her to get landing shots, but here she instead landed on my mom's basket. Not the best place to land lol This all happens in about 2 seconds, isn't rapid shutter amazing ;)

Just landing

8645187949_1bb0fe8623_c.jpg

Finding foot holds

8646286586_abce4b3f21_c.jpg

Still working on her landing

8645180533_0567ba7c8d_c.jpg

Her realization that this was not a good plan

8645179079_0620c57d9a_c.jpg

Down she goes

8646277854_e9113bd890_c.jpg

But wait, there is still hope! She gets a hold

8646290492_c54f2aae3e_c.jpg

Finally landed, and grabbed some papaya seeds thinking they were a place to hold on.

8645189017_3c993fda7b_c.jpg

And here she is afterwords, all pooped from the frantic panic flapping.

8645176603_49010da32b_c.jpg

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Here's two planned photos from that session.

Take off - Although she has no feathers, and that is not a good thing, it is really amazing to see those muscles in action and not hidden by the feathers. Look at that massive breast muscle just peaking out.

8646273888_45e1af4ee6_c.jpg

landing

8645172593_db9b000561_c.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Yes, she had originally been in a abusive home and that foot broke at some point. She was never taken to the vet to have the bones put back into place. She is great though, it may slow her down some but she doesn't know she is any different. It barely effects her, she can't run, needs thoughtful perch placement, and sometimes her hip makes a terrible popping noise like it pops out of place for a second(doesn't hurt her). Sometimes her leg does get sore, like if I have her out for 4 hours plus, which has only happened 3 times in the nearly two years I've had her.

Her lower leg bone slid down over her foot, her knee cap is on the side of her leg, her hip is healed on the edge of the socket, and her femur(upper leg bone) is slightly off to the side of her tibia.

Last edited:

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Beautiful wings!!!!! { My favorite the last four] :) You always get nice shots of her ,I wish I had that talent :) Copper is she a affectionate bird to you ?

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Beautiful wings!!!!! { My favorite the last four] :) You always get nice shots of her ,I wish I had that talent :) Copper is she a affectionate bird to you ?
oh yes, she is very affectionate. Sometimes she'll puff her face out and rub her cheek against mine, it's sooo cute. She also loves if I kiss the top of her head or her cheek. I love that she loves me so much, but doesn't think of me as her mate.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Lovely pictures! How come she has no feathers under her wings? Your such a good parront and photographer! Rosie is lucky :)

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Lovely pictures! How come she has no feathers under her wings? Your such a good parront and photographer! Rosie is lucky :)
She used to pluck blood feathers under wings, back, and legs it took a while but she finally stopped. She came to my friends as a plucker, it was worse then. I believe she started to pluck from being in a abusive home, and wasn't benefited by bad diet and health issues. I believe healthy stimulation(training, toys, bigger cage), flight, and a very good diet were major roles in stopping it.

She actually has a lot of new feathers since coming to live with me, I'm pretty sure the left over bald areas have destroyed follicles and will never grow. I'm curios to see if this seasons molt may bring in some new growth.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
She's as gorgeous as ever! And great shots of her, too!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
what type of camera do you have copper? I've been into photography for many years as well.

a great camera makes all the difference in the world

I'm positive one of your excellent shots will make it into Antoinettes book, hopefully :)

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Such great photos! She has been through so much. She is lucky to have found you and you her! :)

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
even with the plucking, she is stunning! she looks happy to be flapping around there!

awesome photos!

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Thankyou so much everyone :D

@crimson
I use a Nikon D3000, I wouldn't recommend it though. I got it when it first came out as my student camera. It's a great camera, and it's gone down in price soo much, but it's now a bit out of date and the newer cameras are even better :) most new camera's in the same class also take HD video now, slightly jelly haha

I hope at least one gets in Antoinette's book too :)

Most Reactions