Roudybush in the refrigerator?

gibson2503

Jul 11, 2013
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Apollo (8 years old Sunday conure), and Ari (7 years old jenday conure) and Cosmo 9 years old goffins cockatoo). All DNA tested females.
I’m switching my goffins cockatoo and sun conure from Zupreem to Roudybush maintenance. Just got a 10 pounds plastic bag from Amazon. Should I store the whole bag in the refrigerator?

OP
gibson2503

gibson2503

Jul 11, 2013
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Apollo (8 years old Sunday conure), and Ari (7 years old jenday conure) and Cosmo 9 years old goffins cockatoo). All DNA tested females.
Or would I be ok storing them in an airtight container at room temperature?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I store pellets that I know will be consumed within a month or so in the fridge - anything in excess of 60 days goes in the freezer.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I buy the smaller bags, and store in a air tight big jar. It lasts about 1-1/2 months, Salty does eat some of it, but not every day, sometimes he is fussy and prefers his Nutraberries. He always eat hearty on his chop though.

OP
gibson2503

gibson2503

Jul 11, 2013
Media
Indiana
Parrots
I buy the smaller bags, and store in an air tight big jar. It lasts about 1-1/2 months, Salty does eat some of it, but not every day, sometimes he is fussy and prefers his Nutraberries. He always eat hearty on his chop though.
The jar at room temperature?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Timelines are the important realities here and each individual will have their guides.
For us and our very picky Amazon:

A 30 day supply goes into the refrigerator!
Anything longer, goes into the freezer!

Nothing sits a room temperature with the exception of what is in the bowl and that rarely exceeds three hours!

That all said: All dry foods go into the freezer for a 'minimum' of 30 days to kill off any bugs that just may have found their way in during the packaging process!

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
In my house, moths find their way into any bird food stored at room temperature, no matter what container it's in. All food goes in the fridge and generally gets eaten in 60 days or less.

Most Reactions

Latest posts