Safe space heater for parrots

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
IMG_1063.png

I use one like this. Never turned up too high in case the birds land on it. Where I live, they can be bought at Home Depot, Lowe’s, Menards etc. but you can also order them online from places like Amazon.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
The don't think the one above is ideal for a bird. If it's hot and the bird lands on it then it will certainly get injured.

I use one that blows hot air. It has no hot surfaces on it so my birds can touch it without harming themselves.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
The don't think the one above is ideal for a bird. If it's hot and the bird lands on it then it will certainly get injured.

I use one that blows hot air. It has no hot surfaces on it so my birds can touch it without harming themselves.
Free as a bird, would you happen to have a picture?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I use one similar to the one shown above, But I fashoned a wire mesh kind of cover so my parrot cant land on the top

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Free as a bird, would you happen to have a picture?
I took a picture of mine.

20230912_203018.jpg

See that mesh, it's a barrier to the hot part behind it. You can't get much more bird proof than that I think

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies

View attachment 54227

See that mesh, it's a barrier to the hot part behind it. You can't get much more bird proof than that I think
Thanks! My mom has a similar one with a safety shut- off function if it tips over. I like the radiator style heaters because they’re considered the least likely to start a fire, but I think this style could work fine for birds also if it has the safety ( or your birds are too small to tip it over 🙃).

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Thanks! My mom has a similar one with a safety shut- off function if it tips over. I like the radiator style heaters because they’re considered the least likely to start a fire, but I think this style could work fine for birds also if it has the safety ( or your birds are too small to tip it over 🙃).
Mine has got the safety tip over shut off feature as well.
As bird owners we have a responsibility to care for these little ones and one thing we must do is "bird proof" our homes as well as we can.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

View attachment 54227

That is one of the many ceramic block style heaters that use coiled wire heat that can be coated with deadly chemicals, as a result, one must dig deep to verify that the one you get is safe.

Yes, the radiator style can become hot, but they are the safest heating unit available!

There is also the sealed panel heaters that sit on the side of the cage and provides warmth for a single Parrot.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
That is one of the many ceramic block style heaters that use coiled wire heat that can be coated with deadly chemicals, as a result, one must dig deep to verify that the one you get is safe.

Yes, the radiator style can become hot, but they are the safest heating unit available!

There is also the sealed panel heaters that sit on the side of the cage and provides warmth for a single Parrot.
I was wondering if any heaters have coatings on them. Why do they have to coat so many things in toxic chemicals!? *sigh* We’ll, good to know; thanks SailBoat!

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels

I was wondering if any heaters have coatings on them. Why do they have to coat so many things in toxic chemicals!? *sigh* We’ll, good to know; thanks SailBoat!
I looked into it and I found that my heater has no such chemicals

Laurenbeth

Oct 22, 2023
Parrots
African gray
I am looking for the safest space heater for my parrots room and where to buy it. Thank you.
It's not letting me post anything....does any one know why my parrot can't breathe right with any type of heater without gasping for air?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
It's not letting me post anything....does any one know why my parrot can't breathe right with any type of heater without gasping for air?
Are they just getting too hot?

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
How long has your bird been gasping when you’ve had the heating on? As in, did it do it last winter ? if not then what has changed in the room since last winter. Are your current heaters newly painted or maybe have non stick coatings etc on them? Or do you have any room fresheners/oils/candles nearby (maybe in a drawer) that the heat is making them disperse any scents even quicker.
I would definitely go down the oil filled radiator route, as not only generally being cheaper to run than an air heater, many of the newer air heaters now have teflon and other toxic coatings inside that heat up and could potentially release into the air, some even ionize the air. (Hairdryers too) The coatings and the chemical makeup of them, is often not listed in the manufacturers booklet and it can be very hard to find out ; here in the UK anyway.
If you prefer an air heater, then a Dyson AM09 is a suitable heater. It is bladeless, thermostatic, teflon free, ptfe free, the ceramic plates stop the housing getting too hot, it disperses the heat through rotation which will also discourage your bird from landing on it. It’s easy to hide the remote control out of your birds way and easy surface to clean off poop/food, good water/poop resistant design, with the motor being at the base with no exposed switch or joins, lightweight and uses very little floor space. Yes, I have an older model and it heats the room fast, but the thermostat can on occasion be temperamental (I dropped it) I may use it if I’m in the room.
if you don’t need your whole room heated, just want your bird to be warmer..then you Can get heated perches and birdcage heaters.
When you have chosen a new heater, please be sure to run it for a day in a sep room/garage to burn off any protective transportation sprays/oils before introducing it to your birds room.

Last edited:

Laurenbeth

Oct 22, 2023
Parrots
African gray
How long has your bird been gasping when you’ve had the heating on? As in, did it do it last winter ? if not then what has changed in the room since last winter. Are your current heaters newly painted or maybe have non stick coatings etc on them? Or do you have any room fresheners/oils/candles nearby (maybe in a drawer) that the heat is making them disperse any scents even quicker.
I would definitely go down the oil filled radiator route, as not only generally being cheaper to run than an air heater, many of the newer air heaters now have teflon and other toxic coatings inside that heat up and could potentially release into the air, some even ionize the air. (Hairdryers too) The coatings and the chemical makeup of them, is often not listed in the manufacturers booklet and it can be very hard to find out ; here in the UK anyway.
If you prefer an air heater, then a Dyson AM09 is a suitable heater. It is bladeless, thermostatic, teflon free, ptfe free, the ceramic plates stop the housing getting too hot, it disperses the heat through rotation which will also discourage your bird from landing on it. It’s easy to hide the remote control out of your birds way and easy surface to clean off poop/food, good water/poop resistant design, with the motor being at the base with no exposed switch or joins, lightweight and uses very little floor space. Yes, I have an older model and it heats the room fast, but the thermostat can on occasion be temperamental (I dropped it) I may use it if I’m in the room.
if you don’t need your whole room heated, just want your bird to be warmer..then you Can get heated perches and birdcage heaters.
When you have chosen a new heater, please be sure to run it for a day in a sep room/garage to burn off any protective transportation sprays/oils before introducing it to your birds room.
Thankyou for the info I'm real careful with her I have the same ceramic heater I had last year I tried the k&h bird warmer and it did smell like an electronic smell she had a reaction to that too. I bought a little oil radiator delonghi I ran it for a couple hours it didn't smell but she had the same reaction...maybe I should have ran it longer. I'm so lost as to help her .

Laurenbeth

Oct 22, 2023
Parrots
African gray
Thankyou for the info I'm real careful with her I have the same ceramic heater I had last year I tried the k&h bird warmer and it did smell like an electronic smell she had a reaction to that too. I bought a little oil radiator delonghi I ran it for a couple hours it didn't smell but she had the same reaction...maybe I should have ran it longer. I'm so lost as to help her .
I have a company calling me tomorrow about a ceramic one to make sure the wires aren't coated with Teflon.

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
I turn it on away from her for a few minutes It seems like as soon as she smells it.
I would have thought the little oil one should be fine. Wash it down with soapy water, rinse wipe,. Dry it. Run it for A few hours in another room. Then don’t have it too close to her cage. otherwise she could just be panting because it’s too hot. I know every bird is different but 18-24 degrees Celsius should be suitable temp. I know if it goes above 25 with a high humidity my boy can pant.

Last edited:

Laurenbeth

Oct 22, 2023
Parrots
African gray
I would have thought the little oil one should be fine. Wash it down with soapy water, rinse wipe,. Dry it. Run it for A few hours in another room. Then don’t have it too close to her cage. otherwise she could just be panting because it’s too hot. I know every bird is different but 18-24 degrees Celsius should be suitable temp. I know if it goes above 25 with a high humidity my boy can pant.
It's been 50 degrees F alot lately. I'll try wiping the heater down. Thanks again

Laurenbeth

Oct 22, 2023
Parrots
African gray
Ty I'll look into the dyson

Most Reactions

Latest posts