Media
campbelltown
Parrots
eclectus parrots x 4
cockateils x 4
budgies x 22
lories x 2
babies all year round
Just for you bird people, incase you did not know your cat and dogs saliva is enough to kill your bird, it is pure poison to our fids. Dont believe me look it up. Just another reason not to let cats and dogs interact with our birds.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Just for you bird people, incase you did not know your cat and dogs saliva is enough to kill your bird, it is pure poison to our fids. Dont believe me look it up. Just another reason not to let cats and dogs interact with our birds.

We are well aware of the dangers of dogs and cats saliva pertaining to birds.

That is NOT a valid reason for letting birds and cats not interact.

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
That is THE biggest rubbish I've ever heard. My birds would be gravely ill if dog's saliva was as toxic as you make it out to be. :rolleyes:

I have an exceptionally slobber-mouthed dog, who on more than one occasion "slimed" the birds. No ill effects whatsoever. Not ever! And they've been living together happily (slimed or not) for going on 5 years. :)

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus

You are kidding right? It's a known fact that human saliva is way more dangerous than dogs or cats saliva. So remember that when you are giving your birdie little kisses.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I just have to say if this was the case my birds would of been gone long ago....Willie have been licked by the pups for the past 10 years. He LOVES the dogs as the pups grew up with him around. They lick him all the time, Willie feeds them food directly to their mouth.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013

You are kidding right? It's a known fact that human saliva is way more dangerous than dogs or cats saliva. So remember that when you are giving your birdie little kisses.

Which is why Sammie gets dry kisses on top of the beak

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I feel people are responding a bit aggressively to this post... The OP is sharing a issue that many parronts feel is important.

Most people can agree that mammal saliva in general is bad for parrots. Parrots aren't mammals, and unlike us generally cannot handle gram negative bacteria(which includes salmonella) and run a risk of becoming very ill. But if they do come in contact with the saliva they won't instantly die, maybe their wasn't enough bacteria, or the bird has a particularly strong immune system. Birds are much healthier in today's day and age, with the improved diet many they have are given the best chance to have a stronger immune system.

Rosie has been in contact with dog saliva once or twice, and she has had food, or drink water, that had come in contact with my own saliva when I was new to parrots and didn't know any better. But just because everything was fine, doesn't mean something couldn't go wrong in the future.

It's understandable if birds come into contact with saliva unintentionally, but it's not something we, as parronts, should encourage. Why risk it bY allowing constant exposure. I'm not saying they shouldn't have contact with the other animals, it's just a good idea to try keeping our avian's from ingesting mammal saliva. Better safe than sorry.

palmetto941

Nov 14, 2013
Tecumseh, MI
Parrots
Cosmo-Blue Quaker born 11/11/2013; Mattie-Green Quaker born 3/2010; Tiki, Timneh African Grey, RIP 11/2017; Pogo, Congo African Gray

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Are you a vet or animal behaviorist? And everyone knows that looking up information on the internet can give you false or misleading facts as they call them. Use common sense....and talk to your trusted veterinarian, preferably an avian vet. Every vet, with the addition of any pet to a home will recommend using caution and to educate yourself in preparation for the event...and not use heresy. This forum offers suggestions only from experience....no claims to being professional behaviorists. So unless you are a professional in the avian or animal field, your words should not be stated as fact. You mislead people to believe you with an opinion and that is what is scarey.[/FONT]

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old

You HIT the nail on the head Mike

SO NO MORE KISSING YOUR BIRDS OKAY !!!!!!

:grey:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I just want to mention this for all to know! Yes it can be dangerous for dogs and cats to interact with birds. Thus it is each individual's obligations to moderate their own animals while mingling. You can tell someone the importance and dangers of such interactions but it is wrong to preach and be rude about it if someone don't follow suit. We all have individual rights and views as this is a open forum. So please don't be small minded about what others feel. If you don't like it then take for a grain of salt. But please don't be rude about it! Thanks!!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts