SassyByrd Disappeared

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Over my many years I have found Angles to exist and I must admit that I have likely worn more than a couple out. I have long chosen not to make demands or even simple requests, allowing the interaction choice to be theirs.

Over my long life, I have seen powers beyond my understanding from acts far beyond Human abilities to the slightest move that would not have shifted a butterfly from course -- Physics unable to define.

For me, it is not a question of belief, but of acceptance that we are not in control of all that exists around us. In such events, I find that simply being Thankful and Accepting helps.

SassyByrd you're finding a warm place under the chin of your Human has brought her and you great comfort! Enjoy the warmth.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
So glad you got her back. My Rocky OWA got out of his travel cage while being transported back in 1983. It was February in New York, and 20 degrees. He was lost for 5 days. Everyone in the neighborhood was looking for him, some even had cages on their porch roof's. Someone called us to tell us he was in the tree outside their house, and we rushed over. I shook his food can and he flew to us. I couldn't believe we got him back. He lived until age 48 and passed away about 5 years ago. I understand why some want their birds to fly, but after that experience, Sam the BFA has always had his wings clipped. He is so happy that I have never looked back on the flying issue.

I find it better to have your bird Free Flight Recall Trained for this very reason. I learn this lesson at a young age when my blue streaked lory Ruby escape out a window and she was lightly clipped, but she molted and didn't at the time realize she could fly and she stay up a tree for over 3 hours. Thankfully she came down after that and then I started to learn to recall train her inside and then outside and would let her outside often and never had a problem since. Now all my birds pretty much except Pepper is free flight trained and yes they still can get lost even when trained as loud noise, predators, or what they believed to be a scary object. That part of the training is to work out these issues. With my larger birds usually I use a GPS and if bring them with me to stores, they wear a harness. You have to harness train you birds as well. Pepper I clipped as he like to get behind stuff and injure himself, he a accident prone bird, so had no choice, but he can still glide and get to the other tiels.

This way your less likely to lose your bird as even a clipped bird can gain lift if wind conditions are right as speed and direction. If your bird is trained, it much easier to recover them. They have to learn not just how to fly but to land and overcome fear. That take time. It not just flight training, but a lot of other training and adapting involve. Yes birds can learn direction and etc. My female U2 learned shortcut to park as use to walk with her there and first time she was lost, but figured it out after a minute and after a couple time she learn the route and even found a shorter way to get their from looking at GPS data. Birds are incredibly smart, then we give them credit for and if she see something that maybe a predator she come right back to me and squawk loudly to warn me and my male U2. My male U2 is lazy and just stay on my shoulder and uses me as a Uber and he can fly really good as he was flight trained all his life from his first owner since a baby as he lived on a farm and was definitely a outside bird at some point.

It is very important to harness train and carrier train your bird as well when you don't want them to fly, or risk them flying off at random, even with a clipped bird. Harness training a bird is not as bad as some people make it out to be, It took my female U2 which she very stubborn at times less then a week to harness train her and get use to wearing the harness. She would get larger and hiss at it for the first couple of days and attempt to bite it and me, but never follow through with the bite and allowed it around her head but then she realize harness meant going outside and she was fine with it after a couple of days and she after a couple days saw it as a positive thing and even now lift wing to put it on and helps. Birds work on bribe and award system, they are like politicians in that regard. Most people make the mistake in using the head smaller loop to harness train their bird. Use the larger loop to adapt the bird to the harness and let them see the harness first, it much easier that way and they won't get tangle up, as easy to remove from head if you need to remove it quickly while adapting bird, then move on to proper smaller loop and then under looping under wings and then the tightening of harness part and do it in steps with rewards for each step while giving the bird a break during training sessions. Then it will likely take a few days and won't take months to years to harness train a bird.

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Threads like this are SO important... to remind us that we all need to stay vigilant and mindful and...

Thank you.

WHEWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most Reactions