Scared for Skittles

emilygw87

Sep 11, 2014
The sun conure we found went to the vet yesterday with an upper respiratory infection. It seemed like his condition was worsening before our eyes while we waited for the vet, but they gave him his first dose of antibiotics and sent us home. This morning he's really not doing well, and after I gave him his morning antibiotics I thought I was losing him as he sat in my hands. He seems too weak to sit on his perch, and this morning he was on a perch lower than the one he went to bed on. He went straight for his water this morning, not sure if it's a good sign he wanted water or not. I'm so worried for him. I want these antibiotics to hurry up and start working. I don't want to lose him. I keep checking that he's still breathing. He's puffed up with his head down on my chest.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
So sorry to hear about this! Keep him very warm and quiet, and call the vet and see what he has to say. Leave an urgent message if he's not available. Has he eaten at all?

OP
E

emilygw87

Sep 11, 2014
He hasn't eaten, I woke him up to give him his medication. When I pulled the cover off his cage he slowly made his way to the water, drank a bit, and sat there. I'll see if he wants any nectarine. If he's gonna eat anything it would probably be that.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Oh I'm so sorry for you! Have you called the vet? Could he be having a reaction to to medicine? Hope Skittles will be ok!

OP
E

emilygw87

Sep 11, 2014
I called the vet, she is in surgery so I'm waiting for a call back. I'm torn between letting him rest and trying to get him to eat, but for now I'll continue to let him rest and hope the antibiotics kick in soon.

OP
E

emilygw87

Sep 11, 2014
He's inside my shirt, I'm trying to keep him warm. He's tucked up under my neck where I can feel that he's still breathing.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I hope that the vet returns your call soon, you must be so scared:(
I pray that Skittles will be okay.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Oh Emily, I'm so sorry to hear this. Please let us know what the vet says. Parrots can have adverse reactions to antibiotics or any drug, hopefully the vet will know what to do for Skittles.

OP
E

emilygw87

Sep 11, 2014
Still no word from the vet. He is breathing heavily and every once in a while he gets a little burst of energy and tries to move, then it's right back to limp and depressing. I feel so useless. We're in the bathroom now, I have the heat lamp on and he's laying in my hand.

Attachments

• 0912141136.jpg
    0912141136.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 95
OP
E

emilygw87

Sep 11, 2014
He just died. 4 minutes before the vet called. Thank you everyone for your support and advice.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Oh no...I'm sad for you! At least he had a nice warm place with love to pass rather than outside and alone...bless you!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. At least you were able to be there with him until the end. Take care.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm so sorry, Emily. You did a wonderful thing for him. Thank you for doing everything possible to help him and for showing him compassion before he passed.

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw [Maya] // Sun Conure Baby [Zippo] // 2 Lovebirds [Nibblet & Nellie]
I'm so sorry, Will you be taking him to the vet for a final diagnosis?

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Most Reactions