Scared that Max is sick [emoji17]

MacawMomma

Jun 27, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Katie the Catalina Macaw
Max isnā€™t himself [emoji17][emoji174] Yesterday I noticed him getting sleepy midday but he perked up and was active last night. This morning he wasnā€™t as excited to get out of his cage, he ate and pooped like normal but he just seemed off. The way I knew something was up was he didnā€™t squawk once when Katie was out of his sight- VERY abnormal for him!!! So far symptoms are- napping and quiet and just not perky. I called the Avian Vet so I take him in at 2pm, pray heā€™s ok and Iā€™m just being paranoid [emoji122]ā¤ļø[emoji172]
d375c74e5e87d6bf548a3ddcfd566a93.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our rescue birds~

23 yr old Katie - Catalina Macaw
39 yr old Max- GW Macaw
1 yr old Nibbles- GC Conure
ADOPT DONā€™T SHOP [emoji172]

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I hope and pray your bird checks out ok.

feathered hugssss.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
You seem perceptive and acted quickly to get Max to the vet. Hopefully all turns out well. Depending on lab tests, if taken, results may be pending.

OP
MacawMomma

MacawMomma

Jun 27, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Katie the Catalina Macaw
Thank you all for the kind words. They are keeping Max until they can find out whatā€™s going on with him [emoji17][emoji174]

Really happy we got him in when we did, by the time I got him to the vet at 2pm he was so sleepy and could barely keep his eyes open.

The vet explained that his heart condition that they diagnosed him with last year was Atherosclerosis which is hardening of the arteries -very common in poor diets and inactive birds, among others.

They can only guess he has this based on his previous symptoms and his X-rays. His symptoms that he was showing today coincides with this as well. Heā€™s not on his heart medication because of how sick he got on it last year so it couldā€™ve either gotten worse or it could be something else.

Either way, they are doing an X-ray, an echo gram and full blood work to try to find whatā€™s going on.

Iā€™m happy heā€™s in great hands but itā€™s so heartbreaking seeing him like [emoji17]IMG_7509.jpg

Our rescue birds~

39 yr old Max- GW Macaw

Soyajam

Feb 9, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Remi - Eclectus (Hatched August 2017)
Poor sweetie. Rest assured he's in the best place he could be considering the circumstances.
(Although if you're like the rest of us that probably isn't much assurance)

Please let us know if/when you know more, you're in our thoughts!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Awwww geeezz..poor Max..:02:

I'm glad you got him in to his Doc when you could.

Heart conditions..is devastating to say the least.
A few years back,I woke up and went to the living room ( like every morning) and uncovered the kid's. I noticed Smokey ( 28 yr old TAG) on her perch,head held low,swaying back and forth,with labored breathing :eek:

I immediately called her doc and rushed her in. She was so weak that when she was in her carrier,she didn't have the strength to pull her arm's in to her body,or even lift her head or stand,and she was underweight and dehydrated :eek:

They took her right in to the exam room while I patiently ( patiently as I COULD at least!). The Doc came out in about 10 minutes and told me she was in critical condition...had her in an incubator with heat and oxygen.
The doc said Smokeys could barely grasp her finger with one foot and not at all with the other. Told me they would do blood tests,x-rays,etc etc and for me to go home and that they will keep me updated. I went into the exam room and saw Smokes ( just like the pic you posted of Max). She let me scratch her head and cheek ( She NEVER allowed that in 28 yrs!)
I wasn't even in the car 10 minutes when hospital called..Smokers was gone :02::02: her heart stopped on the exam table and they couldn't revive her.

Later,I was told that Grey's can/do suffer from enlarged hearts and livers,which the x-rays showed she had.
What was really frightening to me was,the evening before,she acted FINE. She ate and drank a little..she was talkative..slamming her rubber bell around..you'd never think she was ill.
PLEASE pay close attention to your kid's...EVERYONE! Just the slightest "change" no matter how insignificant it may seem to you,could also be an indication SOMETHING is up!

Like I said previously..so happy you got Max in when you did!!

Jim

OP
MacawMomma

MacawMomma

Jun 27, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Katie the Catalina Macaw
Awwww geeezz..poor Max..:02:

I'm glad you got him in to his Doc when you could.

Heart conditions..is devastating to say the least.

A few years back,I woke up and went to the living room ( like every morning) and uncovered the kid's. I noticed Smokey ( 28 yr old TAG) on her perch,head held low,swaying back and forth,with labored breathing :eek:

I immediately called her doc and rushed her in. She was so weak that when she was in her carrier,she didn't have the strength to pull her arm's in to her body,or even lift her head or stand,and she was underweight and dehydrated :eek:

They took her right in to the exam room while I patiently ( patiently as I COULD at least!). The Doc came out in about 10 minutes and told me she was in critical condition...had her in an incubator with heat and oxygen.

The doc said Smokeys could barely grasp her finger with one foot and not at all with the other. Told me they would do blood tests,x-rays,etc etc and for me to go home and that they will keep me updated. I went into the exam room and saw Smokes ( just like the pic you posted of Max). She let me scratch her head and cheek ( She NEVER allowed that in 28 yrs!)

I wasn't even in the car 10 minutes when hospital called..Smokers was gone :02::02: her heart stopped on the exam table and they couldn't revive her.

Later,I was told that Grey's can/do suffer from enlarged hearts and livers,which the x-rays showed she had.

What was really frightening to me was,the evening before,she acted FINE. She ate and drank a little..she was talkative..slamming her rubber bell around..you'd never think she was ill.

PLEASE pay close attention to your kid's...EVERYONE! Just the slightest "change" no matter how insignificant it may seem to you,could also be an indication SOMETHING is up!

Like I said previously..so happy you got Max in when you did!!

Jim

Oh Jim, so so sorry for your loss!!! [emoji17][emoji174] I canā€™t imagine!!! It sounds like Smokey had the same condition that they suspect Max does. Which manifests itself exactly how you described!

I also agree how important it is to pay close attention to any symptoms. Preventive measures are huge as well- balanced diet and plenty of exercise are crucial in keeping our fids healthy!!!

Smokey is flying high in birdie heaven šŸ–¤ā¤ļø

Our rescue birds~

39 yr old Max- GW Macaw

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

OP
MacawMomma

MacawMomma

Jun 27, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Katie the Catalina Macaw
What type of heart medicine was Max taking? Was it something to strengthen the beat? I ask because my Eclectus had a weakened heart and her vet prescribed the drug Pimobendan. Rather difficult to get in the form appropriate for a bird. If interested, a link to her thread: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-health-care/63907-heart-disease-cautionary-tale.html

I hope Max improves and will soon be home with family.

He was on Isoxsuprine which is a blood thinner, made him really sick so we put him on Enalapril 2x a day ā¤ļø

Our rescue birds~

39 yr old Max- GW Macaw

OP
MacawMomma

MacawMomma

Jun 27, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Katie the Catalina Macaw
[ame="https://youtu.be/97OLeFSppsg"]Max the greenwing Macaw with Atherosclerosis - YouTube[/ame]

Please keep Max in your good thoughts and prayers! He was incubated for 2 days and I was able to bring him home. Heā€™s still barely eating and very lethargic [emoji17][emoji174] Iā€™m trying to keep my hopes up but it is absolutely heartbreaking seeing him like this. [emoji24]

Our rescue birds~

39 yr old Max- GW Macaw

FreedomAndForgiven

May 9, 2013
Media
Parrots
Lucy (B&G Macaw), Phoenix (Camilla Macaw), Gizmo (Goffin Cockatoo),
Rita (Military Macaw),
Mango (Goffin Cockatoo),
I saw your post on Instagram I hope he starts feeling better.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Oh no! I'm biting my nails and sending well wishes to Max.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

What type of heart medicine was Max taking? Was it something to strengthen the beat? I ask because my Eclectus had a weakened heart and her vet prescribed the drug Pimobendan. Rather difficult to get in the form appropriate for a bird. If interested, a link to her thread: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-health-care/63907-heart-disease-cautionary-tale.html

I hope Max improves and will soon be home with family.

He was on Isoxsuprine which is a blood thinner, made him really sick so we put him on Enalapril 2x a day ā¤ļø

Our rescue birds~

39 yr old Max- GW Macaw

Max the greenwing Macaw with Atherosclerosis - YouTube

Please keep Max in your good thoughts and prayers! He was incubated for 2 days and I was able to bring him home. Heā€™s still barely eating and very lethargic [emoji17][emoji174] Iā€™m trying to keep my hopes up but it is absolutely heartbreaking seeing him like this. [emoji24]

Our rescue birds~

39 yr old Max- GW Macaw

Max has a different problem than my Angel. Has the vet offered any other therapies to help? He looks sleepy in the video, probably happy to be at home with you. Hoping he perks up and improves.

OP
MacawMomma

MacawMomma

Jun 27, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Katie the Catalina Macaw
Scared that Max is sick šŸ˜”

Thank you all for all the prayers and good thoughts on Maxā€™s recovery- definitely wanted to update you! Iā€™ve been in constant communication with his vet so with her decision we waited till yesterday to see how he did before bringing him back in. Itā€™s like he knew he would have to go back into the incubator because he did much better yesterday and today- heā€™s eating and drinking, not as much as he used to but a huge improvement. Heā€™s getting really stubborn on taking his heart medication, which I have to administer it 2x a day so if anyone has advice on that Iā€™d love some!! I canā€™t mix it with food and they need it to go directly in his mouth with a syringe![emoji12] Heā€™s still sleepy so we are closely monitoring him. He stepped up for us and my husband was able to cuddle him (which he has never let us do)! Heā€™s a fighter and we just got to give him all the tools to get better ā¤ļø[emoji172]ā¤ļø[emoji172]
ecb03c22c35a2c3035fe93aa1b32cb44.jpg

Our rescue birds~

39 yr old Max- GW Macaw

Last edited:

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
Re: Scared that Max is sick šŸ˜”

Thanks for the update. Our thoughts and prayers are with Max and his loving family. We hope he does better, and is able to come home soon.
Truly excellent parronts !!!

Thanks
Kelly, Karl, and Arika

Most Reactions