Scared to death Senegal! Help?!

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
๐Ÿ’™ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.๐Ÿ’™
๐Ÿ’šRed~IRN~4 mos.๐Ÿ’š

๐Ÿ’›Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.๐Ÿ’›
So I decided to name my newly adopted female Senegal, June Bug. She is so darn sweet. But scared to death!! I've never seen a bird so frightened. She won't bite. She licks my finger. Opens her beak like she's going to bite but she don't. She steps up after a lot of nudging, and whenever I get close to the cage she climbs up the back bars shaking. I have her out and she's climbing around on my pillow. But she is steady watching me. When she does step up I try to scratch the top of her head and she cowards down and lifts her beak up. It's so sad. I can scratch the top of her head but she doesn't come out of this position until I take my hand away. Think she has been abused?! What can I do for her to feel safe with me??

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Give her time. My Senegal took months before she let me scratch the top of her head and she was hand tame. You should have mentioned how long you have had your Senegal. Also, what is the background of your Senegal if known? You say you adopted her was this through a rescue center?

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
๐Ÿ’šRed~IRN~4 mos.๐Ÿ’š

I aquired her I should say. Last night. I know it takes time but she is so frightened. Poor girl.

I copied this from my thread last night.

Well I ended up picking her up this evening. You won't believe this but he asked if we had anything for trade. Which we auction and always have a ton of stuff. I traded 4 old fishing poles, an old Electiric drill that has a rusty tip. And some Clinique face moisturizer.

He was told she was 5. He's only had her for 3 months. She wouldn't breed with his male Senegal so he didn't have use for her. This poor baby has landed her third home in 3 months. She is gorgeous.

She looks to have some beak flaking, which I'm assuming is because 1. He's fed her what the original owner fed her which is large parrot seed mix. No fruits or veggies, legumes, nothing. Also she has 2. Wooden dowel perches. That's it. Her cage has got to just big enough for 1 budgie. I swear it's about 24"x24"x18.

I plan on leaving her in there until tomorrow. I am going to move her into one of the larger cages I have mysteriously accumulated. Lol. She should be much happier. Other than the small cage and reforming issues she seems so sweet. Like she just needs some attention.

When I was there her owner couldn't get near her, she's scream and flap around in her cage, so I payed my hand over the opening of the cage and let it hang there for a few mins. I then moved closer ever so slowly, she never yelled or opened her beak. So I left it at that. When we got home I put her in quarantine in my bedroom, on the dresser. I fed her and placed some banana chips in there for her since it's too late for veggies. She assumed I wanted her so she stepped right up. She won't let me pet her but she did step up for me. Without me even trying. I have hope that she will be a great new addition to our flock!!

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Oooooooo, so you have only had her less than a few days. You have a ways to go to build a bond of trust with your bird. The best thing to do is not rush her. Sit and talk to her, read, spend quality time with her. Offer treats from your hand. The more time you spend with her the more she will come to accept you. She's not wild since she readily stepped up for you. So you shouldn't have too much work to do here.

I would strongly suggest that you take her to a vet for a checkup. I would bet she's never been. Third home in 3 months. That poor thing, thank godness you found her.

I also must add here that Senegals are sweet, clever, active birds. If she's not very active within the next few days, a vet visit would be a must. They are like the energizer bunny, always on the move and very playful. BUT, Senegals are known for their Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde personality, meaning, one minute they are sweet as sugar, giving kisses asking for scratches to the head and neck and then all of a sudden, they reach around and bite your hand or finger for it seems no apparent reason. I think what happens is some people buy Senegals because they are smaller thinking they will be easier to handle and they are beautiful birds. But Senegals to me aren't first time birds for the Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde personality. I think this is why they are rehomed so often.

Last edited:
OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
๐Ÿ’šRed~IRN~4 mos.๐Ÿ’š

Vet appt is thursday. Did that this morning.

She is just so sweet. I feel terrible for her. I'm glad she will spend the rest of her life with me. If I don't die first! Lol

She just cowers down like she was abused, I wonder if that's the case. She wants attention but is just so scared. Not to the point she's lunging at me but she is really afraid.

I'm hearing some birds chatter between her in one room and the other 2 in the other room. I guess she's interested. That's a good sign.

She hasn't done much but sit on her perch. I did move her to a larger cage this morning so maybe she's adjusting. I hope to see some toy chewing and some noisyness as the day goes on.

If she was abused, can she trust again? Poor baby.

For reference, apparently this is the cage she's been in all her life. last owner got her with this cage. I got her with this cage. Why do people think this is ok?? I don't get it. :mad:

2012-08-14065413.jpg

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
๐Ÿ’šRed~IRN~4 mos.๐Ÿ’š

Some pictures of my June Bug. I was able to put my hand in there with my phone without her running to the corner scared! We're making progress!!

2012-08-14160634.jpg

2012-08-14160514.jpg

What a pretty girl, hm?!:green2:

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
what a cutie! she could have been mistreated, but it sounds like shes comming around :) beautiful bird with an adorable name, you did a great thing rescuing her :)

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
My first Senegal was a neglected bird. Sat in a corner and was beat up by another bird every so often. When I adopted her you could not get within 3-4 feet of her and she would freak out and dive to the floor and look for the nearest place to hide in. It took most of a year to bring her around to trust me. The bond started when I started imitating her quiet little "squeak". She squeaked and I would say "squeak" back at her to which she responded. We had a great conversation going on for quite a while. It was not long after that working closer and closer when I was able to touch her foot for the first time. A few weeks later she was stepping up. When I convinced her to let me scratch her head, I thought the feathers were going to explode off her body she puffed up so much. Over time she became a people loving snuggle bird that never bit anyone.

The fact that she is willing to interact with you to some level is a good sign. Lots of time and patience required maybe but I think she will learn to trust you.

She looks great. Cute bird.

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
She's awfully cute! I don't think Sennies are nearly as bold as GCC, so since she's already made some progress, maybe it's just going to take her a week or so to settle in. Scotty took a full six months after we got him before he really fully settled in and got silly. I think they are all different.

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
I don't think Sennies are nearly as bold as GCC

You haven't met my second Senegal, Sidney. That bird is brave, bold, inquisitive, confident and in your face. :p

But yeah, they are all different. Kelly and Sidney are true polar opposites. Is hard for me to believe that they are the same species sometimes. I keep telling Sidney that he needs to channel the spirit of Kelly. Doesn't work. ;)

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
๐Ÿ’šRed~IRN~4 mos.๐Ÿ’š

Yeah, also I've noticed today that her previous owner knew nothing when tell me she hated men. She crouches down in that baby begging behavior whenever my hubby walks in the room. She then squeaks these cute lil noises at him and he has to go talk to her...talking from the couch isn't close enough....she even let him scritch the top of her head. She doesn't want to bite, she doesn't lunge either. She opens her beak and watches closely, I think in case she has a need to bite, she's prepared. Hubby will sit down and she goes back to that begging posture again...I think hubby has aquired a bird because she's so much more interested in him than she is in me. :) which if she bonds to him, will even things out because chichi is still having trouble getting along with him haha. She's really come a long way since just yesterday. Time, time, time. :)

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
It sounds like she has had a rough life before you! It sounds like she will do well in your home though. And, it sounds like she thinks your husband is attractive, haha.

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
๐Ÿ’šRed~IRN~4 mos.๐Ÿ’š

Mhm! She wants to be his mate I'm guessing. And he just adores her so I hope they have a long happy life together! Haha.

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
:eek: that cage she was in is shocking I know sennies are small birds but they still need room to move around play and spread there wings I'm glad you have taken this girl in and giving her a larger cage I'm sure in time she will be your best friend I also love her name its so cute :D

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
๐Ÿ’šRed~IRN~4 mos.๐Ÿ’š

I know. I seen her cage and was like. Holy crap. She lives in there?! When I moved her to the big cage she just stayed in the corner looking around for a while. She's moving a lot more now but I think she was in shock at all the space she had! Poor thing. She seems happier already. :)

Aug 21, 2012
Massachusetts
Parrots
None as of yet - looking to own a conjure. !
I'm so happy there are people like you left in the world Lori Beth, rescuing June bug was the best thing you could haved done, you're the best, I'm in the market for a Senegal, it will be my first, I know I know its not recommended for. First bird but my heart is set on it, I will be putting in the work and dedication that is needed NO MATTER WHAT ! ! !

Abusing an innocent bird like June bug is terrible, some people are heartless and cowards.

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
๐Ÿ’šRed~IRN~4 mos.๐Ÿ’š

If you were closer I'd give you June bug.:) she's amazing and honestly a lot less trouble than my GCC!

Thanks for your kind words. I just figured my home was better than any. And she deserves so much. She's coming around. Slowly. :)

Aug 21, 2012
Massachusetts
Parrots
None as of yet - looking to own a conjure. !
No problem Lori Beth no problem at all, we all need to be validated once in a while, I'm so excited to get my first buddy ( Sennie) I will be teaching and working with him/ her from the day she enters my home, I don't care if thy have a tendency to be aggressive and / or a biter I'll deal with it be redirecting and eventually they will be my pal, again kudos to you re scuing Jun bug,you're a better person for it....!

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
๐Ÿ’šRed~IRN~4 mos.๐Ÿ’š

I'm a better person for having her! She's a better parrot for allowing me to love her! Slowly! She won't take all my love at once haha. I can't wait til you get yours! From what I've experienced with her, sennie's are very docile birds. She's really slow, and calm, quiet most of the time and doesn't WANT to bite me. She went from shaking in the corner of her cage to stepping up from a dowel. I can pet her head and beak but not her back yet. She crouches and turns her head following my hands every move. But she let's me even tho she's scared. But I don't push her. She's really come around in just the few weeks I've had her.

She hasn't said anything. But her whistles are beautiful. I let her walk around on my bed and she reminds me of a sloth. So slow and calm. :) not a care in the world!

Do you have names picked out for yours?

Most Reactions