Screech is a Girl!

lplummer52

Apr 19, 2016
Indialantic, FL
Parrots
"Birdie". Sun Conure
DNA results in. Screech is definitely a girl. What are the chances for egg laying is she is,only bird? And what should I watch for? I was so sure she was a boy. My husband was sure she was a girl. He was right AGAIN! :orange:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Congratulations on your girl :)! It's always good to know.

I've mostly ever had males. The mature females I've had never laid. I'm sure others can give more insight to this.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Congrats on your new baby girl. My wife and i are laughin' our butts off.
So... Screachette?

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
I think egg laying w/o a mate happens mostly from genetics in smaller birds, but providing the right atmosphere for a nest probably has a lot to do with it too. Some birds will lay without a potential mate, others won't.

If you feed a good, rounded diet, she will be healthy enough to lay safely if she does. Allowing her a long night's sleep and disallowing nesting behavior (crawling in blankets and cubby holes, paper shredding, huts, feeding warm foods), and not handling her in sexy ways are the best ways to prevent laying.

I've had 3 adult females and only 1 laid eggs (she was a budgie, others larger parrots).

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
One more thing I learned but never got to test out - if you run your finger over the keel bone, it will drop inward near the vent. If there's an egg inside, that area won't drop in anymore and will probably be extended some.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Your Screech is a tomboy and a GIRL, Congratulations!

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Congrats on having a very pretty little girl...yay Screech you had mommy fooled didnt ya :)
I have a girl Quaker who at the age of 4 layed an egg last year and there was no problem...hee hee she too had her mommy fooled becsuse I was sure she was a boy LoL :) if and when Screech should lay an egg dont remove it leave it with her. That said it is just as likely that she may very possibly never lay an egg.

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
My Kyo acts like a boy and is a DNA female :) Likes women (doesn't like most men) and is very active and into things.

She hasn't hit puberty yet or acted hormonal. She's a biter so I'm not looking forward haha

I made sure to take away anything she could think of as a nest, and i've had no issue so far.

Most Reactions

Latest posts