Sea Grass Mats

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
I see they are on sale and it makes me wonder how to best use them. Or IF to use them. Does anyone have either pictures or descriptions of them in use? Are they a safety issue due to the small openings?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yes, I LOVE them, and so do my birds.

I just took a few pics of them a couple of days ago. Sorry, the quality really stinks, but I think you get the general idea of how they can be used. :)

This is Hunter's. (Sam has one, too, but the picture looked like doo-doo. :()

This is Niko's after 1 week. :54:

Ripley's after 1 day. :)

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Sammie loves hers. I hang it on the outside of the cage.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386534746930.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386534746930.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 800

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Chili has one- LOVES IT. I tied the two ends together to make a tunnel and stuffed it full of paper and toys...BIG HIT lol

OP
goalerjones

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Looks like Santa might bring one for Hahnzel this year...

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
You guys are brilliant! Why didn't I think of seagrass mats? Dommie would just love a tunnel to rummage in! Not so much the Beaks, but they can play second fiddle for a while I think. Must go hunting for seagrass...

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Capt Steve, I hadn't seen that pic before - it's brilliant! This idea would be especially good for those who own disabled birds who need flat perches. The texture of the matting still allows them to grasp with their good foot, but supports them if they are missing a foot. Would you mind reposting your pic into our Toys section please? I think it's a good resource! :)

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Oh my gosh Wendy :eek:

Fargo's looks brand new :S He destroyed all the toys on the outside, so just the mat and paper inside was left, but he hasn't destroyed it like Niko did :eek: Why doesn't Fargo destroy his :( :( hahaha

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
Capt Steve, I hadn't seen that pic before - it's brilliant! This idea would be especially good for those who own disabled birds who need flat perches. The texture of the matting still allows them to grasp with their good foot, but supports them if they are missing a foot. Would you mind reposting your pic into our Toys section please? I think it's a good resource! :)

I would be more than happy to do that but am limited in what I can do online right now. (am at sea)

If there is a way can you do the honors for me? And it is actually 2 mats stacked.

Thanks

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
What great ideas! Only I have a dumb question...where do I find a sea grass mat?

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
It's very clever to use those grass mats like that, but how do you all know that it hasn't been treated with some chemical or other? My lovebirds LOVE destroying stuff, and spend hours and hours on reed bird huts, pinecones and Wesco kabobs, nothing is safe! lol. Is there a label that you are going buy or a country of origin?

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
I've copied this thread to our forum 'Parrot Toys' and re-named it 'Seagrass loft (for disabled birds?). :)

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)

Fargo's looks brand new :S He destroyed all the toys on the outside, so just the mat and paper inside was left, but he hasn't destroyed it like Niko did :eek: Why doesn't Fargo destroy his :( :( hahaha

Because Fargo is such a smart considerate bird that he knows you can put other toys on the mat and he wants to save you money :) ha ha ha.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

HA! There is nothing my big guys don't destroy. :30: Niko LOVES pulling that mat apart - with a passion.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
Sea mats are great. Captain Jack loves them. You can buy the at mysafebirdstore (and can rest assure they are safe). Kathy's business goal is to provide good and safe bird supplies to customers (I would not say anymore since I do not want to appear to show any favoritism). You can even buy mats that have toys on them. Captain Jack play with the toys on the mat the day I sat it in the cage :11:. And that says something when he is sometimes scared of new things.

Most Reactions

Latest posts