Seeing if a Senegal is a right bird for a youngster

WildNoctis

Apr 11, 2017
Hello! I am new to this forum page, and I hope I am not causing any trouble. I do have a question that I would like to be answered!
I am 12 years old, a female, and I usually have 4 hours of free time every day, except on the weekends when I have more. Although I do spend my time making art, writing, etc, on my laptop, I am willing to give up a couple of hours a day to keep a bird. I also go on occasional trips about once a year, ranging from 1-2 weeks away from home a year.
I have been interesting in getting a bird, and I was wondering if a Senegal is a good bird if I have 2 siblings and parents. My brother tends to be quite loud, just to put that out there just in case some birds have sensitive hearing. All of my siblings are above 12 years, and are pretty responsible, including me. I already have a very friendly family dog, and I was hoping to get a cat but unfortunately my brother is allergic.
I have seen many people with birds, and I was just researching on if I should get one, and which kind. I would love to have one that is quiet, like a Senegal, but also easier to take care of and not as loud or as big as a Macaw, or other parrots. I wish to have a bird that is very friendly and not aggressive. Sorry if this message is very long, I just wanted to make sure I get all of the basic info so I know I will get the right bird and have little troubles. Thanks and have a lovely day!

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Even the most responsible 12 year old has limitations on the kind of care they're able to provide, so some of the questions as to if a bird is right for you have nothing to do with you and everything to do with your parents.

Are your parents willing to take on the financial responsibility of a bird? Birds require specialized diets, cages and play stands that can be expensive, and an endless supply of toys. Vet care can be expensive. I just spent $1800 on a bird that didn't even survive. Are your parents willing to bankroll those things?

Are they willing to go out of their way to provide the bird with his own doctor? That means that the vet they use for their dog isn't the right kind of vet. They'll need to find a certified avian vet, even if it means traveling. There's 7 general vet's office within a mile of my house, yet I drive 10 miles to a CAV. Is that acceptable to your parents? Birds don't show signs of illness until they're critically ill. Are they willing to drop everything to get you and your bird to that CAV?

Birds are flock animals. They don't do well if they're locked up in a bedroom away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the house. Are your parents willing to tolerate the noise and mess a bird makes and allow the bird to be out somewhere in the public areas of the house?

If the answer to any of these things is "no", then it doesn't matter how wonderful of a bird owner you would be, it's not the right time of life for you. If the answer is yes, then it's time to start talking about what kind of bird is right for you. And, to answer your question, I'd be hesitant with a 12 year old first time bird owner who's parents aren't experienced with birds getting a senegal. It could be done, but it would be difficult. Senegals can be aggressive, and their bites hurt. They're also stubborn birds in general, and things could easily go badly for both of you without an experienced bird owner overseeing your progress and care.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
So many questions! First of all I must say, all brothers are dorks! Bringing a bird such as this into your life is not much different than adopting a child! You have to understand it is for the long term, because this child never grows up! And are you prepared to just throw him out in the street when you're tired of him? If you fail him, he dies!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Great answers above.
Maybe you could review the input directly with your parents... read it together or print them a copy and discuss...
GOOD FOR YOU for researching and reaching out.
Even if not today, I have a feeling that someday you'll be a great parront...

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, thanks so much for joining! We'd rather more information than less, and you well communicated your interest and concerns.

I highly respect your research before purchasing a bird; so many do on a whim without any consideration for the life they are now responsible for many years or decades.

Because your dependence on parents will continue for at least half again your age, it is wise to bring them into the conversation and help educate them. You and your bird will need their assistance in many ways!

Most Reactions

Latest posts