seeking advice on obtaining a new bird

crazybirdlady3

Jan 25, 2015
southeast virginia
Parrots
had a brown throat conure for 15+ years
Hi, I lost my brown throat conure this month after having her for 15+ years. I adopted her from a lady so she was pretty much set in her ways when I got her. She could say Hello, Pretty Bird, Merry Christmas, could wolf whistle and bark like a dog. I also had a sun conure which now lives with my son. So having had conures, I think I would like to have something a bit quieter now. I have always wanted a Love Bird, but have also been looking into parrotlets. I'm asking for advice from those of you who have love birds and/or parrotlets in helping me make a decision.

Emilymaggie

Dec 22, 2014
Connecticut
Parrots
African grey, Hahn's macaw, Parrotlets, Ring-necked doves
Hi! I am sorry about your bird. Losing a close companion is never easy.
I have two parrotlets. They are quite chatty but I don't find that it is at all intrusive. It never gets to a screaming level or anything. I actually think when they get to be their loudest that it's kind of cute, in a weird way. You know how at some pet stores they sometimes have a tank of budgies? I would relate it to that.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I've never seen a parrotlet (don't think there are any in Australia), but our lovies are the greatest fun! We have five (used to have ten until some sod stole them!) and they form a lovely little colony. We have a flight cage for the lovies and it's filled with bouncy, swingy toys. The little guys are extremely athletic and always busily playing away and scolding each other. Compared to the sound of the larger parrots we have and the wild ones overhead, the lovies' noise is barely noticeable. It's a sweet, pleasant sound anyway and cheers you as you hear the little guys chatting earnestly away.

The nice thing about lovebirds is that you can get so many different colours. They really look like little jewels and are just so engaging and sweet - I couldn't recommend them more highly to anyone wanting an easy-care but highly entertaining pet! :)

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
I've only had 2 lovebirds but I think they're great pets! For me, I think I'd rather stick with the males because they're more calm and less aggressive than the females. Not to knock down the females, cause lots lots of training and socialization can make them as/greater than their male counterparts.
They are pretty quiet until they let off their occasional screech is bearable. And they have busy bodies, flying or not flying they got to keep moving and play with toys!

On an unrelated note, they are fluffy and soft!

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
You might also look into lineolated parakeets. As a general rule they are very quiet and similar in size.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I have both lovies and p'lets, and I love them all. Mine are not tame, but still so amusing to watch, and they have such huge personalities.
Have you thought about a Bourkes? They are amazing birds, quiet but will step up for you, and such beautiful colours:) I got mine when they were 8 and 6, and they were breeder birds. Both stepped up from day 1, which was so neat:)

Most Reactions