Seeking Your Top 5 Macaw Breeders

JRD2015

Jul 24, 2015
Hi,

New user here. However, I have been reviewing posts for awhile and I am hoping someone on this forum can help.

I am trying to find a very good macaw breeder. And while there are certainly ALOT of people selling macaws, I am looking for suggestions as to who is the best and why.

While I have not decided on the exact Macaw, I am leaning towards a B and G, Greenwing, or Hyacinth (in no particular order). I have been trying to narrow my research to Hyacinths, but I am open to suggestions.

I am located in CT so, geographically, I am not as lucky as others to be in either Florida or CA where there appears to be an abundance of breeders . . . .

I will try to keep this post short. I have followed up on some suggestions made in other posts re breeders and as of this point, I am still looking. Most of the time, it appears from websites that some people are not selling certain macaws anymore or appear to be out-of-business.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

John:blue::red1::blue1:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I don't know any east coast breeders.

I have a short list, and it's a top 3:

1. Wendy Craig in Texas/Arizona- Socializes her babies to the Nth degree, abundance weans and fledges...

2. Rita at Avian Adventures Aviary in California - same reason.

3. Avalon Aviaries - Colorado - Helped set the MAP standards for babies, abundance weans and fledges, properly socializes

The only east coast provider I know is Todd Marcus Exotics... just because I've had some business dealings with him in the past, not with babies, just toys and playstands... So I can't speak for his babies.

Here are the babies he currently has in the aviary. Lots of macs including an adorable greenwing and a pair of red fronts...

TODD MARCUS BIRDS EXOTIC - THEBIRDSTORE.COM - DELRAN, NJ (856) 764-2473

DO NOT LOOK AT THAT AGAIN! I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER MACAW... AND IF I DID IT WOULD BE A BLUE THROAT... I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER MACAW... DO NOT LOOK AT THAT...

DOH! :32:

Last edited:
OP
J

JRD2015

Jul 24, 2015
Thanks Birdman! I actually sent an email to one of these places a couple days ago (still waiting to hear back) and I will look into the other three later today.

John:blue::blue1::red1:

groovieguy

Sep 9, 2014
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw (RIO) 10mo
There are a couple that I have dealt with and also the one the Bird Sits my RIO is from them. She is the sweetest bird, mush macaw. If I decide on another Macaw it will be from them.

Quality Exotic Birds, I can PM you there # if interested as there website is down. They have been in the business for over 30 years and Joe and Roseann are great people. There birds are just as Great.
Here is a link to a post I made with pics of some of the babies.
http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/55194-update-bird-sitter-baby-pics.html

The other is Bird farm superstore, they have some great birds there also and super nice.
Birds For Sale

Now if you pick a bird from out of state, they do ship them. From what I have seen of the prices in the northeast it is still cheaper to have one shipped.

OP
J

JRD2015

Jul 24, 2015
There are a couple that I have dealt with and also the one the Bird Sits my RIO is from them. She is the sweetest bird, mush macaw. If I decide on another Macaw it will be from them.

Quality Exotic Birds, I can PM you there # if interested as there website is down. They have been in the business for over 30 years and Joe and Roseann are great people. There birds are just as Great.
Here is a link to a post I made with pics of some of the babies.
http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/55194-update-bird-sitter-baby-pics.html

The other is Bird farm superstore, they have some great birds there also and super nice.
Birds For Sale

Now if you pick a bird from out of state, they do ship them. From what I have seen of the prices in the northeast it is still cheaper to have one shipped.
I agree that the prices here in the Northeast seem to be higher than elsewhere. And maybe I will do that - but it would be nice to have the breeder/seller close . . . .

I also came across the Birdfarm superstore and noticed that they seemed to have a LOT of birds (Hyacinth, B and G, GW, and even a Palm Cockatoo!).

OP
J

JRD2015

Jul 24, 2015
Thanks everyone for assistance!

3 Follow-up Questions:

1. Better to narrow focus on breeders vs Pet stores (assuming store isn't breeding macaws)?

2. While it appears there are many breeders of BG and GW, if I ultimately decide on a Hyacinth, are there breeders that just focus on Hyacinths?

3. Anyone have advise regarding purchasing from CA/FL etc. vs North East?

All insight appreciated.

John :blue::red1::blue1:

OP
J

JRD2015

Jul 24, 2015
I saw a picture of her Hyacinths and was wondering if they were producing . . . . It sounds like you are happy with her?

Thanks for the info re the Hoobly ad - but I would prefer to work with a breeder that someone has worked with. Just too many things can go wrong.

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Lol at birdman. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts