Senegal as a new beginner pet

westsidesushi

Sep 4, 2011
Hi, I have never owned a pet bird and i am interested in having one. I live in apartment so as you can imagine, i have limited space and noise might become a problem. I researched a few birds and i think my option would be either senegal or cockatiel. I personally wanting senegal and i was wondering people can tell me if senegal parrot is good beginner bird? Are they high maintenance bird or fairly easy to care for?
Please let me know or give me some advice. I would very appreciate it
thank you

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
First off, welcome to the forums. Secondly, all birds are high maintenance. They require special food, cages, perches, constant care, such as feeding, watering several times a day, periodic grooming like nails, beak and wings and daily cleaing of their cage.

Low maintenance pets would be cats and gold fish, especially if you live in an apartment or condo. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND A BIRD FOR APARTMENT DWELLERS! But with that being said, here's my opinion on both Cockatiels and Senegals.

I love both species, both make very good starter pets. Cockatiels if well cared for can live up to 20 years and Senegal up to 30+ years. So you need to take that in mind.

I have owned Cockatiels in the past and they for the most part are a bit quieter than Senegals. But that has only been my experience. Some folks here will tell you they own a Senegal and they never hear a PEEP out of their bird. But I can tell you from personal experience, my Senegal is a noisy bird. She will make several noises through out the day, most notibly a squawk that can raise the dead. She doesn't mind using it either. She will squawk several times through out the day up to the point that I have to give her a time out which means I cover her cage with a sheet for like 15 minutes or until she quiets down.

She is a tad hyper, quite a bit more so than any Cockatiel that I have ever owned. But I have also owned Cockatiels that were just as noisy. If I were you, I would think twice about getting a bird while your living in an apartment because if you wind up getting a noisy bird, which the chances are great that you will because they are animals and chirping, squawking and screaming is what they do, you will find yourself hunting for a new place to live and could eventually have to rehome your bird.

Last edited:

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
I would also like to add here that I'm retired so I'm home with my birds all day, every day so I notice the noise more so than most folks would. If I worked 8-10 hours a day, 5-6 days a week, the noise for an hour in the morning and a couple of hours in the evening probably wouldn't be that noticable.

I might also add that it has been my experience that a noisy bird is a talking bird. Both my Eclectus and Senegal have their noisy moments, but they both talk up a storm.

Last edited:

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
I stay home for a few hours in the day and my husband at night, and that keeps our girl pretty happy. I can't speak for all, but my girl is quiet unless its morning, and fairly mellow in behaviour. She is my first and I think she was a perfect choice, though you may want to look into meyers parrots as well, since they have a reputation for being even quieter.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
i think it depends what you think of as high maintenance??

i agree with the meyers, from what i have read there alot more mellow compared to the sennies

my sennie is fully flighted and is like a rat with wings, she will scurry along the floor, sneak about, glide or fly loudly, bites and attacks but i still love her loads :)

just remember these birds are a life time investment! and the food, toys, vet visits, after the initial cost of the huge cage from a good maker! and a travel/sleep cage can still be costly

OP
W

westsidesushi

Sep 4, 2011
Ok thank you for reply people. I am an college student and i do have class everyday from monday to thursday. Basically when i will be spending time with the bird is after school and weekend. So considering that i think noise part will not be too problematic to me personally since i am not at home all day everyday and i have to wake up early also so noise in the morning should be fine. Pretty much all kinds of pets can make noise so i do not expect it to be completely quiet. What i want is to have some companion i can play with or see when i get home after school/working. So would you say bird is not the best choice i can come up with as a pet in my situation? I am saving up for pet right now since i have a few options in my head. Let me know. Thank you

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
Ok thank you for reply people. I am an college student and i do have class everyday from monday to thursday. Basically when i will be spending time with the bird is after school and weekend. So considering that i think noise part will not be too problematic to me personally since i am not at home all day everyday and i have to wake up early also so noise in the morning should be fine. Pretty much all kinds of pets can make noise so i do not expect it to be completely quiet. What i want is to have some companion i can play with or see when i get home after school/working. So would you say bird is not the best choice i can come up with as a pet in my situation? I am saving up for pet right now since i have a few options in my head. Let me know. Thank you

I'm not as concerned about the noise levels for you as I am for your neighbors, who don't have a choice whether or not YOU get a bird. Get a cat. Birds require a lot of work.

mcw009

Apr 21, 2011
VA
Parrots
Icarus the Moustached Parakeet, Smudge, Pudge (RIP), and Floki the Budgies
what about a house rabbit?

Rabbits chew, making them a terrible choice if you hope to get your security deposit back at all. They're also high-maintenance with regard to diet, if they're properly cared for. Rabbits, like birds, are very delicate creatures.

A cat is probably a decent option, unless you have a very small apartment. I don't, however, like the kind of attitude I'm seeing that there's practically no effort to owning a cat. It's that attitude that results in the dozens of strays around my college campus that people dumped after graduating. Cats need litter filtered daily, fresh water, regular grooming, and enrichment. A kitten can be expected, like a 'tiel or Senegal, to live 15-20 years. Virtually all pets are pretty high-maintenance if cared for properly; they'll all a commitment that shouldn't ever be taken lightly. OP, no matter what pet you choose, I urge you to be honest with yourself and be absolutely sure that you're thinking long-term.

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
My schedule is the same as yours (more or less) and I find my sennie to be no problem. The time issue comes more when I have to change the cage lining every day and the cage and toys once a week. After classes, work, and life it can be a challenge to provide her with everything she needs. The biggest thing you have to ask yourself, is what would you do if you found she needed too much of your time? Kito came from a home that decided they couldn't keep her after only two months. These birds bond with their owners to a degree that loosing an owner and home could put them into a worrying state. Kito was depressed for weeks after, but the last owners were very worried over her when they brought her home, as she'd been with her last owner 8 years. You need to know you have the time to dedicate to your bird for at least the next 30 years.

Most Reactions