How much is a good buying price for a sennie?

RedPanda560

Apr 18, 2023
Parrots
None atm
Ive been studying up on parrots in general and have been trying to find a breed that works for me and my living conditions, and from my research ive landed on a senegal. Ive called local breeders and pet stores around me to see if they had any senegals, and only one place said they did thats within an hour from me. The one i was curious about was around a few weeks old, and they said the pricing for it would be around 4k. Ive looked on the web and a lot of sites say they sell for around 800-1200 USD, which is what would work for me. This would be my first parrot and i want a younger one so I can imprint on it, and my budget isnt *too* flexible so im trying to figure out if its an unreasonable amount or if i should look for a different breed to go for?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
First; with parrots its species not breed. Only domestic animals use breed.
Second; parrots are not poultry, they do not "imprint" like a baby chicken would.

When you say younger, are you thinking an unweaned baby? If that's the case I would highly highly recommend changing your mind. A LOT can go wrong with unweaned babies. And breeders that sell unweaned babies are unethical.

OP
RedPanda560

RedPanda560

Apr 18, 2023
Parrots
None atm
First; with parrots its species not breed. Only domestic animals use breed.
Second; parrots are not poultry, they do not "imprint" like a baby chicken would.

When you say younger, are you thinking an unweaned baby? If that's the case I would highly highly recommend changing your mind. A LOT can go wrong with unweaned babies. And breeders that sell unweaned babies are unethical.
As you can tell i have no prior experience with owning birds. And second, when i say imprint i mean bond from an earlier point in there life so i can get the most out of owning one. I dont want any unweaned pet in general if i didnt have the things to care for it, i know thats harmful to the bird lol so no worries there, i meant i planned on having the bird "prebought" (or however you might word it) until i could take it home when the bird was ready for the 4k one in particular (were the price what i was looking for).

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Getting a bird young still doesn't do you much service. It's a pretty common misconception that baby parrot = best for bonding. The only thing you're getting out of a baby is
1. You know their history
2. They have (hopefully) no trauma

However baby birds are a bit of a crapshoot. With an older parrot you know what you are getting. They are already typically fixed in their personality. A baby parrot still has to go through puberty and that can be a crazy time and your bird will change in personality.

I would also not go with the person selling the Senegal for 4k as they're overcharging you.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I have 2 parrots I've had since they were babies (Aster and Apollo) and I have one rescue parrot that I got when he was 13 years old, Lincoln. Lincoln is by far the more stable of the bunch. While Aster and Apollo are good birds, they're more flighty and less accepting of the world. They just haven't experienced nearly as much as Lincoln has. Getting a baby is a LOT of work. You need to be very hands on with them but not SO hands on that they can't entertain themselves if you're busy with something. They need to experience the world so they aren't scared. And being a bird is scary business.

OP
RedPanda560

RedPanda560

Apr 18, 2023
Parrots
None atm
Getting a bird young still doesn't do you much service. It's a pretty common misconception that baby parrot = best for bonding. The only thing you're getting out of a baby is

However baby birds are a bit of a crapshoot. With an older parrot you know what you are getting. They are already typically fixed in their personality. A baby parrot still has to go through puberty and that can be a crazy time and your bird will change in personality.

I would also not go with the person selling the Senegal for 4k as they're overcharging you.

Ah, thank you for the heads up, i felt like it was overpriced, i just wasnt for certain since im still new to the scene, i'll continue looking for one around 1.2k max. What age range would you recommend then to avoid most of the earlier versions of puberty (ive seen things on it that every once in a while theyll have hormone jumps thatll eventually fizzle out as they get older)? Maybe 8 to 12 months?

OP
RedPanda560

RedPanda560

Apr 18, 2023
Parrots
None atm
I have 2 parrots I've had since they were babies (Aster and Apollo) and I have one rescue parrot that I got when he was 13 years old, Lincoln. Lincoln is by far the more stable of the bunch. While Aster and Apollo are good birds, they're more flighty and less accepting of the world. They just haven't experienced nearly as much as Lincoln has. Getting a baby is a LOT of work. You need to be very hands on with them but not SO hands on that they can't entertain themselves if you're busy with something. They need to experience the world so they aren't scared. And being a bird is scary business.
Hm alright, thank you for the tips, it'll certainly help me figure out what im looking for

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
First off, welcome to the forums!

I knew practically nothing about parrots until a little over a year ago, so I think it's great you're here asking questions :)

I've talked to a few people in my area (Minnesota) who have said that birds from good breeders have gone up a lot in price the past few years. The cost of food and vet care on their end went up, so prices have too. My second parrot was originally from a really good local breeder, but I got him from his first owner when he was still really young - total luck there, but it gave me a better understanding of why the prices can be high.

This breeder did DNA testing on all the birds, and disease tested her entire adult flock yearly. Babies were vet checked before going home. She did a mix of parent raised and hand feeding, so that the babies would be used to being handled by people, but still allowed the parents to do most of the care. It sounded like she sent them home a bit older, to make sure they were fully weaned but also to give them as much time with their parents as possible to help their emotional development. She sent home a month's worth of food and formula and showed the owners how to do supplemental formula feeding for comfort their first few days. After I got my little guy, the first owner sent me the breeder's info and the breeder reached out to make sure everything was going well and see if I had any questions.

This little guy is a pretty common species in my area and I know he was at least a couple thousand dollars (I don't remember the actual number). I think birds that aren't as common would be quite a bit more here.

Maybe ask the breeder near you what all is included in the care of raising the babies while at the breeder, and what to expect when you bring them home. Are they open to working with you via email or text when you have questions (because you will especially the first few weeks or months)? Do they check for disease or DNA test their birds? Do they have other species too, or specialize in Sennies? How do they decide which birds to breed?

Personally I think if a Senegal is the species that really speaks to you, then the cost now is going to be a drop in the bucket in 30 years of living with your dream bird, even if it takes a little longer to save up. I had a foster Senegal over this winter and he was the most amazing parrot!

Some other things to think about - in many ways parrots are more like people, than a pet like a dog. So they do go through puberty and that can be a tricky time if they previously saw you as a parent figure. There is a lot of great advice here on the forums for how to establish a good relationship with a baby, while also letting them learn some independence and confidence, but some people do have a hard time seeing their baby bird's personality change when they mature. My little guy is a total preteen right now, telling me No all the time and refusing to go to bed šŸ˜‚ It's not something that would prevent me from getting a baby (obviously) but it's something I didn't know about before I joined the forum.

I do think there are advantages in having a bird from babyhood, because you aren't having to "undo" things they've learned or experiences they've had. My first parrot was a rescue and he does have issues from how he was previously raised. There also are absolutely incredible birds that are adults, like the Senegal I fostered - I adored him!

Do you have any rescues or sanctuaries near you where you could meet different species? I found it really helpful to be able to hear the normal sounds of different birds. For example my foster Sennie's high pitched contact call could be heard at the end of my block with closed windows :) but otherwise he was a very quiet chatter type of guy.

Ok I am just going on and on ;) but again, welcome! And I hope you keep us updated on your journey and have fun learning!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Ah, thank you for the heads up, i felt like it was overpriced, i just wasnt for certain since im still new to the scene, i'll continue looking for one around 1.2k max. What age range would you recommend then to avoid most of the earlier versions of puberty (ive seen things on it that every once in a while theyll have hormone jumps thatll eventually fizzle out as they get older)? Maybe 8 to 12 months?
I'm not too familiar on when Senegals go through puberty. usually with birds their size it's around 1 year, but every bird is an individual and may experience things differently. I would just try to just meet as many birds as you can and see who you just "click" with.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022

Where I am, there are a LOT of birds being rehomed on Craigslist around age 2 or 3, just after puberty, probably because people didn't know what to expect.

I agree with Owlet that adult birds that get along with you are the perfect match - with my younger bird, it's really a crapshoot whether he'll like me at all once he's an adult. The foster Sennie I had definitely chose me as his person - he liked me right away and told me I was a pretty bird every day :) He went back home to his mom (who'd been in the hospital) but part of why he was such a dream to live with was because he liked me. He also was dumped at his mom's house 5 years ago - I was so surprised to hear that because he was SO well behaved and super gentle! So there are really great parrots out there for adoption, it just might take a little more work to find them and also to be prepared to say no if it's not clicking when you meet them. I'm bad at that part with any animal ;)

I personally think there's no wrong answer between ethical/good breeder and adoption. They're different but both good choices IMO. I don't however recommend getting a bird from a store, even one that only sells birds - there are too many with endemic diseases in the facility and most of the birds come from parrot mill breeding situations where they're weaned too early.

OP
RedPanda560

RedPanda560

Apr 18, 2023
Parrots
None atm
First off, welcome to the forums!

I knew practically nothing about parrots until a little over a year ago, so I think it's great you're here asking questions :)

I've talked to a few people in my area (Minnesota) who have said that birds from good breeders have gone up a lot in price the past few years. The cost of food and vet care on their end went up, so prices have too. My second parrot was originally from a really good local breeder, but I got him from his first owner when he was still really young - total luck there, but it gave me a better understanding of why the prices can be high.

This breeder did DNA testing on all the birds, and disease tested her entire adult flock yearly. Babies were vet checked before going home. She did a mix of parent raised and hand feeding, so that the babies would be used to being handled by people, but still allowed the parents to do most of the care. It sounded like she sent them home a bit older, to make sure they were fully weaned but also to give them as much time with their parents as possible to help their emotional development. She sent home a month's worth of food and formula and showed the owners how to do supplemental formula feeding for comfort their first few days. After I got my little guy, the first owner sent me the breeder's info and the breeder reached out to make sure everything was going well and see if I had any questions.

This little guy is a pretty common species in my area and I know he was at least a couple thousand dollars (I don't remember the actual number). I think birds that aren't as common would be quite a bit more here.

Maybe ask the breeder near you what all is included in the care of raising the babies while at the breeder, and what to expect when you bring them home. Are they open to working with you via email or text when you have questions (because you will especially the first few weeks or months)? Do they check for disease or DNA test their birds? Do they have other species too, or specialize in Sennies? How do they decide which birds to breed?

Personally I think if a Senegal is the species that really speaks to you, then the cost now is going to be a drop in the bucket in 30 years of living with your dream bird, even if it takes a little longer to save up. I had a foster Senegal over this winter and he was the most amazing parrot!

Some other things to think about - in many ways parrots are more like people, than a pet like a dog. So they do go through puberty and that can be a tricky time if they previously saw you as a parent figure. There is a lot of great advice here on the forums for how to establish a good relationship with a baby, while also letting them learn some independence and confidence, but some people do have a hard time seeing their baby bird's personality change when they mature. My little guy is a total preteen right now, telling me No all the time and refusing to go to bed šŸ˜‚ It's not something that would prevent me from getting a baby (obviously) but it's something I didn't know about before I joined the forum.

I do think there are advantages in having a bird from babyhood, because you aren't having to "undo" things they've learned or experiences they've had. My first parrot was a rescue and he does have issues from how he was previously raised. There also are absolutely incredible birds that are adults, like the Senegal I fostered - I adored him!

Do you have any rescues or sanctuaries near you where you could meet different species? I found it really helpful to be able to hear the normal sounds of different birds. For example my foster Sennie's high pitched contact call could be heard at the end of my block with closed windows :) but otherwise he was a very quiet chatter type of guy.

Ok I am just going on and on ;) but again, welcome! And I hope you keep us updated on your journey and have fun learning!
If anything that makes me want my own lil birb anymore, even if they might be bratty on the occasion haha. Ive done a lot looking online and there arent very many near me, but i found a highly commended place an hour away, but im a minor so i have to do a lot of communication through my mom when it comes to contacting places unfortunately, and she doesnt know too much into birds. I'll make sure to figure all of that out as well from the breeder/wherever i get one from, would definitely save on the health expenses to know the through and through.
Anyways, im honestly surprised how helpful it already is on these forums, so i'll definitely check up on here if i need anything and *most* definitely send pics of my little guy whenever i get em d:

{mod edit to remove age - Denise}

Last edited by a moderator:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
As you can tell i have no prior experience with owning birds. And second, when i say imprint i mean bond from an earlier point in there life so i can get the most out of owning one. I dont want any unweaned pet in general if i didnt have the things to care for it, i know thats harmful to the bird lol so no worries there, i meant i planned on having the bird "prebought" (or however you might word it) until i could take it home when the bird was ready for the 4k one in particular (were the price what i was looking for).
I would think good and hard about the lifelong commitment owning a parrot especially a very young one. And especially since you've never had a bird. They are not affectionate and loving like dogs and cats usually are. They are hard to travel with or board. Their medical care is expensive and difficult to get in many more remote areas. They are emotionally very complex and social. They can also be dangerous (bigger birds can bite hard). How will you feel in 10 years? What about any kids you have or may have? They are difficult to re-home.
All that said, why not start with a cockatiel? They are almost the same size as a Senegal but much easier to tame and take care of. And they are smart delightful birds! You almost can't go wrong with a 2-3 month old cockatiel. They live around 20 years so it's not much longer than a healthy cat or small dog. After you've had one for a year and you still see a Senegal in your future then go for it.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I would think good and hard about the lifelong commitment owning a parrot especially a very young one. And especially since you've never had a bird. They are not affectionate and loving like dogs and cats usually are. They are hard to travel with or board. Their medical care is expensive and difficult to get in many more remote areas. They are emotionally very complex and social. They can also be dangerous (bigger birds can bite hard). How will you feel in 10 years? What about any kids you have or may have? They are difficult to re-home.
All that said, why not start with a cockatiel? They are almost the same size as a Senegal but much easier to tame and take care of. And they are smart delightful birds! You almost can't go wrong with a 2-3 month old cockatiel. They live around 20 years so it's not much longer than a healthy cat or small dog. After you've had one for a year and you still see a Senegal in your future then go for it.
I agree. I wouldn't be making that sort of commitment as a minor if I were you. I am also a minor, however I have multiple plans in place for my budgies so they can live well and be happy while I'm in collage. I have also changed up some of my plans for the future to accommodate them. If the bird bonds well with your parents, and they are willing to look after it if you're having any major life changes (moving somewhere that doesn't allow birds, collage and higher education, etc.), then maybe go for it, but I would still get an adult if I were you. Raising baby birds is HARD WORK, especially with school, a job, etc.

{mod edit to remove age reference - Denise}

OP
RedPanda560

RedPanda560

Apr 18, 2023
Parrots
None atm
I agree. I wouldn't be making that sort of commitment as a minor if I were you. I am also a minor, however I have multiple plans in place for my budgies so they can live well and be happy while I'm in collage. I have also changed up some of my plans for the future to accommodate them. If the bird bonds well with your parents, and they are willing to look after it if you're having any major life changes (moving somewhere that doesn't allow birds, collage and higher education, etc.), then maybe go for it, but I would still get an adult if I were you. Raising baby birds is HARD WORK, especially with school, a job, etc.
Ive done a lot of research into it, and first thing i did was make sure i could manage it lifelong since i wouldnt want to dive into something im not prepared for. Even if it means losing a couple hours of sleep at night im more than willing to put in the extra effort towards caring for one, though i doubt it would ever get to that point in the first place. Im pretty cautious with money, but after a fat minute of digging around and looking at options; cats, dogs, snakes and a whole lot of other. I want a companion that doesnt need a big house or a crap ton of walks but is also more intelligent than just a rabbit or turtle. I already have finance planned out, i have a large cage im getting from an aunt and i have 300 dollars already set aside for toys, bowls, roosting spots and more. Im fine with any commitment if i get a long term lil buddy out of it, and im willing to do what it takes to give it a good life, it wont be stuck in a cage all day. And my parents would be willing to hold onto it if need be, they arent bothered by that

{mod edit to remove quoted age reference - Denise}

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
If anything that makes me want my own lil birb anymore, even if they might be bratty on the occasion haha. Ive done a lot looking online and there arent very many near me, but i found a highly commended place an hour away, but im a minor so i have to do a lot of communication through my mom when it comes to contacting places unfortunately, and she doesnt know too much into birds. I'll make sure to figure all of that out as well from the breeder/wherever i get one from, would definitely save on the health expenses to know the through and through.
Anyways, im honestly surprised how helpful it already is on these forums, so i'll definitely check up on here if i need anything and *most* definitely send pics of my little guy whenever i get em d:
If your family has never had parrots either, what are you going to do if and when you go away for school? Even for a year? A year is a long time for a bird. Very few student housing options will allow a parrot, on campus or off. Many apartments don't allow parrots at all because anything bigger than a cockatiel can make a lot of noise. Whatever you do, don't make a decision not to attend college because you have a pet bird! You can always get the cool parrot you want after you graduate. If you leave a parrot behind while you attend school the bird may not handle it well. At the very least he will be upset and lonely. At worst he will become traumatized and harm himself.
I absolutely loved being a teenager. Everything (mostly) was new, exciting, and fun. But a lot happens between your teens and 21, much of it unexpected. And to some extent you will change, too, in ways you never thought you would. And trying to predict how much interest you will still have in a parrot 15 from now is very difficult, and you may wind up saddled with very loud 15 year old two year old with a sharp beak and privately wish you weren't. That's one of the reasons so many birds are getting rehomed as we speak and so many others should but their owners feel too guilty and ashamed.

{mod edit to remove specific age reference - Denise}

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Ive done a lot of research into it, and first thing i did was make sure i could manage it lifelong since i wouldnt want to dive into something im not prepared for. Even if it means losing a couple hours of sleep at night im more than willing to put in the extra effort towards caring for one, though i doubt it would ever get to that point in the first place. Im pretty cautious with money, but after a fat minute of digging around and looking at options; cats, dogs, snakes and a whole lot of other. I want a companion that doesnt need a big house or a crap ton of walks but is also more intelligent than just a rabbit or turtle. I already have finance planned out, i have a large cage im getting from an aunt and i have 300 dollars already set aside for toys, bowls, roosting spots and more. Im fine with any commitment if i get a long term lil buddy out of it, and im willing to do what it takes to give it a good life, it wont be stuck in a cage all day. And my parents would be willing to hold onto it if need be, they arent bothered by that

I have three dogs and a parrot. The parrot is *significantly* more effort than the dogs, and I say that as someone who lives in a townhouse in a big city without a fenced yard, so my dogs need walks every few hours.

My parrot is a rescue and is older, and he did have some behavioral and significant health issues at first, but I wouldnā€™t trade him for anything. He is intelligent and curious and definitely a bit of a brat! He can be a real handful. He may not require outdoor walks, but he needs regular mental stimulation or he will sleep the day away, which is terrible for his heart and muscles. Birds can and will experience muscle loss from sitting in their cages all day - they are animals that are meant to fly several miles a day!

I see youā€™ve outlined that you have $300 for toys etc? Unfortunately, $300 will not even cover your first vet appointment with your parrot. It is recommended that your bird see a CAV (certified avian vet) yearly for a blood draw and fecal screening. Parrots are prey animals and hide illness well, so if you wait until your parrot acts sick, itā€™s likely that their condition is critical.

Senegals can be fantastic birds but they often bond strongly to one family member. If you have to leave your bird with your parents for college etc, and it bonds to you , essentially it will be losing a flock member. Even if you come visit on the weekends, thatā€™s a huge change for them and very distressing.

As for cost of the bird itself - a Senegal in my area will run you $2500. This includes disease testing on the parents and care and boarding until the bird is fully weaned, as well as required in store visits to bond with them.

While there is no such thing as a beginner bird, I agree with others here that you would be better served looking into a more gregarious, family oriented species like a cockatiel. Ours loved our kids and everyone in the family and was brave, outgoing and clever. Budgies are another great option, but make sure to get a pair or trio so that they arenā€™t lonely when you are not around due to work or school. Both of these species seem to settle well into a family dynamic where the primary caregiver may change over time.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Also, rabbits are quite intelligent and social creatures. Iā€™m a bit concerned that youā€™re writing off other animals as ā€œless intelligentā€ and therefore somehow less worthy of consideration. A parrot may be smart, but it has the emotional intelligence of a toddler - itā€™s going to ignore you, bite you, throw tantrums, throw itā€™s food and poop everywhere, etc. ā€œMore intelligentā€ does not mean easier to train or handle.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
IMHO $4K is way too high for a senegal parrot, that much and you are in the range of the Hot 3 Amazons, African Greys and the midsized cockatoos. I would keep looking.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I have three dogs and a parrot. The parrot is *significantly* more effort than the dogs, and I say that as someone who lives in a townhouse in a big city without a fenced yard, so my dogs need walks every few hours.

My parrot is a rescue and is older, and he did have some behavioral and significant health issues at first, but I wouldnā€™t trade him for anything. He is intelligent and curious and definitely a bit of a brat! He can be a real handful. He may not require outdoor walks, but he needs regular mental stimulation or he will sleep the day away, which is terrible for his heart and muscles. Birds can and will experience muscle loss from sitting in their cages all day - they are animals that are meant to fly several miles a day!

I see youā€™ve outlined that you have $300 for toys etc? Unfortunately, $300 will not even cover your first vet appointment with your parrot. It is recommended that your bird see a CAV (certified avian vet) yearly for a blood draw and fecal screening. Parrots are prey animals and hide illness well, so if you wait until your parrot acts sick, itā€™s likely that their condition is critical.

Senegals can be fantastic birds but they often bond strongly to one family member. If you have to leave your bird with your parents for college etc, and it bonds to you , essentially it will be losing a flock member. Even if you come visit on the weekends, thatā€™s a huge change for them and very distressing.

As for cost of the bird itself - a Senegal in my area will run you $2500. This includes disease testing on the parents and care and boarding until the bird is fully weaned, as well as required in store visits to bond with them.

While there is no such thing as a beginner bird, I agree with others here that you would be better served looking into a more gregarious, family oriented species like a cockatiel. Ours loved our kids and everyone in the family and was brave, outgoing and clever. Budgies are another great option, but make sure to get a pair or trio so that they arenā€™t lonely when you are not around due to work or school. Both of these species seem to settle well into a family dynamic where the primary caregiver may change over time.
I had a male cockatiel that was hand raised when I got him at two months old and completely weaned and he was an absolute joy! Charlie LOVED everyone and everyone loved Charlie. I'm only mentioning his gender and hand feeding status because they are part of who Charlie was. An older parent raised female may be great too but if I wanted to try to duplicate my situation with Charlie I would start the same.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Also, rabbits are quite intelligent and social creatures. Iā€™m a bit concerned that youā€™re writing off other animals as ā€œless intelligentā€ and therefore somehow less worthy of consideration. A parrot may be smart, but it has the emotional intelligence of a toddler - itā€™s going to ignore you, bite you, throw tantrums, throw itā€™s food and poop everywhere, etc. ā€œMore intelligentā€ does not mean easier to train or handle.
I suggest you also read the recent thread on these forums, "Senegal with a Taste for Blood".

Most Reactions