How much is a good buying price for a sennie?

OP
RedPanda560

RedPanda560

Apr 18, 2023
Parrots
None atm
Birds are quiet after dark, than God!

Ok, I still think cockatiels would be a safe bet, or a green cheek. Green cheek conures are part of the pyrrhura family (unlike their louder cousins, sun and jenday conures) and therefore are a bit quieter. They still have all the personality of a more ā€œexpensiveā€ bird like a senegal, but are generally less moody, more receptive to multiple handlers, and come in many color mutations.

I worry for you in an apartment if you get a sennie who decides to contact call whenever you arenā€™t around - itā€™s going to be loud and piercing and it will absolutely carry through walls. We had our tiel in a condo and the neighbors couldnā€™t hear him - but they could definitely hear our amazon.

Humorously, they mistook the amazon for a person because he likes to yell ā€œHELLO!ā€.
Yeah i was looking and a green cheek seems perfect for what im looking for. My only question is do they do better with other birds or does it not matter?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
A green cheek will be ok by itself as long as it is receiving enough human attention. Birds are flock animals and need to feel like they are a part of your family.

Is the cat in your profile photo yours? The bacteria in a catā€™s saliva is extremely deadly to birds; it multiplies rapidly in their blood stream because of their higher resting body temp, and a cat bite is a puncture wound like a needle; it pushes the bacteria deep into tissue and makes it much more effective at causing infection. I have a friend recently whose cat bit him when they had to evacuate due to a unit in their building catching fire, and it got infected almost immediately. In a bird you wonā€™t have that kind of time - they will need to go to an ER vet or they will die as their body goes into shock.

If you have a cat you need to make sure you have somewhere to keep your parrot that the cat has no access to, but that people spend enough time in that your bird will not be alone all day. We have a cat also, and it is a constant struggle to make sure everyoneā€™s needs are met - thankfully, I work from home, and my parrot shares my office with me.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
A green cheek will be ok by itself as long as it is receiving enough human attention. Birds are flock animals and need to feel like they are a part of your family.

Is the cat in your profile photo yours? The bacteria in a catā€™s saliva is extremely deadly to birds; it multiplies rapidly in their blood stream because of their higher resting body temp, and a cat bite is a puncture wound like a needle; it pushes the bacteria deep into tissue and makes it much more effective at causing infection. I have a friend recently whose cat bit him when they had to evacuate due to a unit in their building catching fire, and it got infected almost immediately. In a bird you wonā€™t have that kind of time - they will need to go to an ER vet or they will die as their body goes into shock.

If you have a cat you need to make sure you have somewhere to keep your parrot that the cat has no access to, but that people spend enough time in that your bird will not be alone all day. We have a cat also, and it is a constant struggle to make sure everyoneā€™s needs are met - thankfully, I work from home, and my parrot shares my office with me.
I've never known any conure to be as quiet or soft spoken as a cockatiel but I could be wrong. I know that Nandays and Sun Conures can be very loud. Lots of GCC owners on these forums who know more. Can they scream as loud as a Sun?

OP
RedPanda560

RedPanda560

Apr 18, 2023
Parrots
None atm

I appreciate the concern, and no, we dont. Also im glad to hear it doesnt need another bird to feel emotionally stable, and i will certainly make sure to play, train and let it stay out of its cage when im home during the day to make sure it can stay healthy, if anything im sure theyd be a good study buddy. Is a couple hours a day fine as long as it has plenty of toys and such to keep it entertained during the day?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I appreciate the concern, and no, we dont. Also im glad to hear it doesnt need another bird to feel emotionally stable, and i will certainly make sure to play, train and let it stay out of its cage when im home during the day to make sure it can stay healthy, if anything im sure theyd be a good study buddy. Is a couple hours a day fine as long as it has plenty of toys and such to keep it entertained during the day?
I would say several sessions out of the cage a day. They don't have to be marathons but once you get him accustomed to a play stand he may be content to play on it while you're studying, etc. Just being in the room with him even when he's in the cage will make him feel less lonely. But birds shouldn't be ignored for long stretches of time. Play with him every few hours.

OP
RedPanda560

RedPanda560

Apr 18, 2023
Parrots
None atm
I would say several sessions out of the cage a day. They don't have to be marathons but once you get him accustomed to a play stand he may be content to play on it while you're studying, etc. Just being in the room with him even when he's in the cage will make him feel less lonely. But birds shouldn't be ignored for long stretches of time. Play with him every few hours.
Absolutely, im completely fine with that. I just found a well renowned breeder (little shop of feathers in tn) who is selling pineapple green cheek conures, and they appear to have everything in order; vet checks, dna tests (as a choice obv), properly weened, all the latter. The information ive gotten out of this forum has been beyond valuable, i truly appreciate the care and attention to detail the people have shown on this site to make sure any bird gets a safe and proper home. We're gonna call them tomorrow and get things set up, thank you all so much in assisting

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Excited for you and your family! We would love it if you stick around and share photos of your new birdie buddy!

OP
RedPanda560

RedPanda560

Apr 18, 2023
Parrots
None atm
Excited for you and your family! We would love it if you stick around and share photos of your new birdie buddy!
Oh absolutely, i wont hold back on the bestest of birb pics, plus itll be helpful for asking tips here and there to keep doing the best i can for my lil dood/doodette

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Absolutely, im completely fine with that. I just found a well renowned breeder (little shop of feathers in tn) who is selling pineapple green cheek conures, and they appear to have everything in order; vet checks, dna tests (as a choice obv), properly weened, all the latter. The information ive gotten out of this forum has been beyond valuable, i truly appreciate the care and attention to detail the people have shown on this site to make sure any bird gets a safe and proper home. We're gonna call them tomorrow and get things set up, thank you all so much in assisting
You should read the new post from someone called "conure throwing tantrums".

junior98

Oct 17, 2022
New England
Parrots
1998 senegal parrot
Ive been studying up on parrots in general and have been trying to find a breed that works for me and my living conditions, and from my research ive landed on a senegal. Ive called local breeders and pet stores around me to see if they had any senegals, and only one place said they did thats within an hour from me. The one i was curious about was around a few weeks old, and they said the pricing for it would be around 4k. Ive looked on the web and a lot of sites say they sell for around 800-1200 USD, which is what would work for me. This would be my first parrot and i want a younger one so I can imprint on it, and my budget isnt *too* flexible so im trying to figure out if its an unreasonable amount or if i should look for a different breed to go for?
I think $600-1000 could be a more reasonable price for a senegal... Look for a shelter bird perhaps...

Despite their medium size, Senegal parrots live for 20-30 years. New owners should be prepared for a several-decades-long commitment. These parrots form strong attachments to their owners and do not respond well to rehoming.

Be aware, that this bird and you are in it for the long haul. I have had my sennie now for 25 years. :)

Most Reactions