Senegal or Pionus?

Chirs633

Jun 22, 2019
NJ
Hi everyone! I was hoping to get some advice. I am currently considering getting a Senegal or Pionus parrot. I narrowed it down to these two as they are on the quieter side for parrots. This will be my second bird ever. I had a cockatiel from when I was a kid until college and miss having a bird.

My wife and I work, so I am hoping to get a bird that will be able to handle some independent time each day. I am hoping for a bird that will like to cuddle and play, but can also just hang out on my shoulder or nearby perch while I do things around the house. My cockatiel used to hang out on my shoulder for hours and cuddle into my neck while I was on my computer or watching TV which I loved. I will of course be providing plenty of toys and plan to get an appropriate sized cage.

So would you go Senegal or Pionus? Or would you propose an alternative?

Thanks in advance!!

Chris

OP
C

Chirs633

Jun 22, 2019
NJ
Well after some more research, I think I will be going with the pionus. Seem like a better fit for me based on its temperament. Less bitey than a Senegal.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Good for you doing research, but remember - each parrot has it's own personality, and sometimes species generalizations can be dead wrong. They are individuals, much like people. Good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts