Senegal or quaker?

joeyt66

Apr 5, 2011
Hi all!
Im in the middle of doing some research, And would like some advice and/or opinions.
Im looking to add a parrot to my family. What are some of the best birds and why? I have a 6 yr old daughter who has been begging for a bird such as a cockatiel . I have had them in the past but want to talke the next step up. So its a bird for both of us .What would you recommend? I also have a large dog but he is harmless and wouldn't bother the new addition at all.I have been told a senegal would be best. I would love to teach it some words but mostly want to find a bird that will be a great pet. Not set on a quacker or senegal but those are the two I have been looking into. Also what is the best age to acquire a bird. I see lots of 2-3 yr old in my local classified.
Thanks for the help

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I say Quaker, but there are a lot of Senegal lovers in here. The age don't matter if its a well trained bird. Or you could train on your own if your up for the task. Just remember they can change once they mature if you get them as youngesters.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
the younger the better, avoid 2/3yr old senegals, reason there are so many in classified is because, those are there tantrum/coming of age yrs and they will be a hand full! also older sene's that have not been so******ed properly are harder to work with, so could be another reason for being 2/3

younger bird will be more accepting of your daughter and dog

but with saying that about the 2/3 yr old sene's mine was 2 when we got her, in season an a force to be reaconed with, but i will happily say now she has settled into our family life. she is happy step up for us (though i only ask her to for me when i know she won't bite lol) and yours will hit 2 and you will go through a naughty stage, but as the birds grown up with the dog and your daughter, may not be as nippy and your daughter will know how to handle/avoid her when the bird gets that way out.

also at the end of this yr nut's season will come about again and i will see what will happen then lol

she was good with my step daughters little girl who is 4, and i gave her very clear instructions on not to touch her, even if she landed on her, though her bites are mostly nips, it can be very off putting for a child, especially when nut nipped her lip for the crumbs, or swooped low over asha's head because when she did asha stopped jabbering an was quiet for about 2mins, she also took to landing on top of asha's head a few times, for longer periods of quiet, she only flew to asha's head when she went onto full jabber mode, but for the most part she watched her from top of her cage, but only with interest

funny thing is when i look at how the feathers lay on nut's face, i can tell when she is plotting something, especially if there is a naked toe about, why cos she likes our reactions when she gets 1, she neveer bites hard, she just hangs onto it lol

one thing i did notice, nut bonded slow with my son, and for a time he was her fav chew toy, mostly as he won't leave her be, but now he can pick her up, she'll step up for him, and even sit on his shoulder while i mist her, he gets misted to lol but she really does not like the mister! thats a lot more then what she does for me now, even though at the start i could do all those things with her. i spend most time with her, then my son and lastly my man

she is a great source of fun, when she is in the mood, like chasing toes, burrowing under blankets for toes, taking plaster off the walls, her fav thing to do is to nip my son on alternate ears, while his on his x-box, he lets her as they really are gentle

nut is flighted, so that is something you will have to decide on, weather to keep your bird clipped or not

personally because of how nut has accepted and interacts with every1 in the family, and even the none fav person, mans the fav and 50/50 between me and my son, though i think my son will be over takin me in the next fav person list, i'd say sene :)

but what ever bird you get, will be like raising a child, do it right for a better outcome, so even older birds that have been raised right will adjust easily into a new life, your daughter may have to take it very slow with the bird, but she needs to be involved, to stop bird from only allowin you to handle it, even when the birds a little naughty, so any bird you decide on, you should both visit a few times, see what its routine is, but with saying that you could come see my nut, lol and you will love her as she likes the men, and she will be all over you, demanding head scrathes etc, she will also check out your daughter, by landing on her, taking treats from her etc,
but i know when you get her to your house, there will be a period where she will be nippy and rather angry and not be the bird you came to see for a little bit till she settles into your family life lol

OP
J

joeyt66

Apr 5, 2011
Thanks for the info.
There is a 1 yr old quaker close by my home for 400 with cage. And 2 yr a senegal for 500 with cage about an hour away.
I think i like the senegal looks better. Which one is easiest to train to speak.

Gandolf

Mar 29, 2011
Media
Albums
Lincoln, Ne
Parrots
Goffin's Cockatoo, Congo African Grey, 3 Conures, 2 Cockatiels, 6 Love Birds and 4 Budgies
Thanks for the info.
There is a 1 yr old quaker close by my home for 400 with cage. And 2 yr a senegal for 500 with cage about an hour away.
I think i like the senegal looks better. Which one is easiest to train to speak.

Don't rule out the Conure family. A Very young Green Check would make for a great bird that is very loving and does well with kids (if they don't move around very fast ) LOL and they even can learn to play with dogs. They have also been known to speak.:green:

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
my sene don't speak but there are ithers with sene's that do, it will depend on the bird

keetmom

Mar 20, 2011
AR USA
Parrots
Quaker Parrot (Allie)
budgies - Baby & Rio
I love my Quaker. I adopted her. Spose to be just over a yr. Was nippy at first but snuggled w me now! She talks NONSTOP and immitates everything she hears! Great talking ability and she is sooo clear. Very loud bird tho!

OP
J

joeyt66

Apr 5, 2011
Which bird is considered more intelligent. I know every bird is different but in a general sense.
I think im leaning more towards a senegal.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
All birds are intelligent!!!! Some maybe more so then others. Quakers are the most adaptable one out of the bunch.... since they can live in rough weather places such as New York, Chicago, etc

OP
J

joeyt66

Apr 5, 2011
I think i have found one. Theres a 2 yr old senegal for sale not to far from where i live (2hours). I know it was stated earlier in this thread to try and stay away from 2-3 yr old. But theres not a lot to choose from around here (ontario Canada) The ad states he has been Raised on cooked grains & beans, fruit, vegetables & nuts.
What all should i look for or be weary of. When i go look at him?

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
awww good luck, see how the bird behaves around you and especially your daughter, and remember it will be better behaved as its in its own home!

OP
J

joeyt66

Apr 5, 2011
Got Him!!!!!
His name is Sampson. He says his name and a few other things already. Love to whistle and give kissie sounds Had him on my finger to get him out and he was a bit nervous so I put him on the top to play. A few times he looked like he wanted to fly over to us but never got there lol. When trying to get him in the cage. he bit down on my finger.I just calmly removed my hand like nothing happened. I put some treats in the cage and in he went. Whats the best way to deal with this situation? Im sure its because he is new to this environment, Maybe i rushed it to fast. Will try some more today. But so far really pleased with this bird Thanks for the help.
ps he also ate from my daughters hand today , he loves bananas

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
aww wish mine would eat bananas lol

simple and best solution is to put one of them rope perches on the in-side of the door, that way when you want him in the cage, just get him to step up onto that :) and it also is good for moments when there a little crabby coming out of the cage :)

OP
J

joeyt66

Apr 5, 2011
week 1
well its been a week a i think i got an awesome bird!!!!!Everytime you come in the room i hear a wooooohooo whistle lol. I know he's just buteering me up to get out but it works. He loves to say his own name . Sam-son. He flys over like he;s superman and then lets out a SAM-son when he lands. he lets me pet his head and scratch. he scratches first to let me know what he wants then i do it for him. He eats great he eats everything i offered so far. I know this is a no -no but when he hears a potato chip bag he get pretty excited and flys over and wants a peice. Old owners must have gave them to him , i let him have a small piece.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
awww i am soo pleased for you :) and yes sene's are fab, even mine, who is currently re-modeling the house! :11: and a little madam in her own right

i know what you mean about the potato chips, but try to buy ones that a low salt/fat and free from artificial flavourings! if your gonna share, even if its a nibble of a chip your giving him, and same with any other snack type foods :32:

i generally keep fresh peas in the pod at hand or her fav fresh fruit for when we are snackin lol
and there really funny when they wise up to the fact, they aint getting the snacks! :11: nut kinda has this very slight squint of the eye and her beak just parts, slightly :mad:

nuts fav sound is the russle of packaging lol:32:

but try to keep so******ing him! ppl don't have to handle him etc just so his use to seein different faces etc and have ppl in the house

Most Reactions

Latest posts