senegal

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
yeah i found my way into starting a new thread :greenyellow:
well i have taken on my brothers senegal parrot, after careful consideration and looking into its needs

my profile picture is of angel aka nutbird, as you can see she has been bitting her feathers and today she is looking slightly more moth eaten :11:

i have been told by a breeder that she is most likely in season, an will stop by end of march as she did this last yr about this time, according to my brother and the feathers came back. and she will most probably do the same end of this yr

but at the moment she is aggressive when ever my partners at home, she is fine when his out.
she is aggressive to me, my son and my partner, basically she goes strait to his shoulder and starts doing everything she can for attention, like chewing his collar, nipping his ears (hard at times) and when we offer our fingers for her to get of we get a very firm nip :eek: she evens sticks her bottom in the air, what we though was her about to poop, but breeders told us she's assuming the position, which rather freaked my man out :D

she has drawn blood from me once :11: when i wanted her to go back into her cage

i have learnt to read her body language and read various articles etc, but my main question is how do i keep her from getting to rough with my partner, when he is about, i have made chew toys for him to put on his shoulders, but her attentions really unsettle him and i think she picks up on this. so she'll either run from shoulder to shoulder so as not to be removed, or nip any1 including my partner for trying to take her off his shoulders :( food treats don't really work that well, the chew toys do for so long...

will caging her more throughout day calm her behavior?? as she is rarely caged when its just me an my son about, but if she is in her cage when my mans about, she goes biting cage etc and if let out has a mad flap about the house an then refuses to move of my partner, and has lowered into attack mode when my son attemped to move her, i called him back, as my son finds it funny, but i didnt want situation to escalate, i told my partner to move an do dishes, to distract her that worked for a bit

but she really is a loving bird, allows us to pet her etc when she is in the mood, and is really gentle for most part of the day, and happy to fly and perch on our shoulders if were doing something interesting, or moving about the house

thanks in advance, any helpful or practical solutions be more then welcomed :rolleyes:

Most Reactions

Latest posts