Senne and sun conure?

Oscar129

Dec 12, 2012
Pa
Parrots
Male senegal parrot
So since oscar has taken a liking to my husband i'm looking for a bird that hopefully likes me.I didn't think he'd go for it but here i am. My husband feels bad since oscar was a bday present and he wants nothing to do with me right now. Theres a sun conure on craigslist i'm looking at. I already know they're loud. My aunt has 1 and she's very loud. This bird sounds like she'd be great. I'm thinking of calling the lady up who posted the bird. Its about 45 mins away. I wanted a sun conure to start but found oscar who really needed a home.

Of course i'd ask if she favors a male or female if at all. I'd like to know her age and her eating habits. Do senegals and sun conures get along? Not that i want babies but so they could possibly hang out together once in awhile. Thanks:D

Last edited by a moderator:

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
NO, Senegal's usually like to be the only bird in the house. They have a jealous nature. But all birds are different to a degree. You must also realize that they are rehoming their bird for a reason and most reasons given on Craigslist are not totally true. They are most likely rehoming the Sun Conure because of NOISE. They are very loud birds for their size and quite a bit noisier that a Senegal. So make sure your willing to tollerate the noise along with your neighbors.

OP
O

Oscar129

Dec 12, 2012
Pa
Parrots
Male senegal parrot
I'm well aware of the noise. My aunt has a sun conure. The reason he said it needs a home is because his kids are in college and the birds not getting enough attention.

OP
O

Oscar129

Dec 12, 2012
Pa
Parrots
Male senegal parrot
He's been here a week and a half. I'm sure I'm gonna get flack on here about bringing in another bird already. They'll be on separate floors.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
He's been here a week and a half. I'm sure I'm gonna get flack on here about bringing in another bird already. They'll be on separate floors.

I'm honestly not interested in how soon it is that you get another bird. It's just your reasoning.

You haven't given the senegal a chance to bond with you at all and you're considering getting a sun to be your bird because of it.

Now back to the question;
Your sennie will not take to having another bird around nicely at all, doesn't matter if they're on separate floors - your sennie will know there is another bird in the house and he will get angsty about it. You have uprooted this senegal (bad situation or not) and not given him enough time to even settle and begin trusting you BOTH before introducing a conure into the mix. Your sennie will have all sorts of issues:

he'll want to learn to trust you, but wont do because he'll be confused with all the jealousy he's experiencing. So instead, expect bites, lots of them. and mood switches, lots of them.

He'll want to be a cuddle bug to you, but as soon as he'll hear that conure screech, he'll be put on edge. Probably bite you and fly off. He cannot see this bird, which will make him anxious as it's something that sounds familiar (and so should probably be part of his flock) but he doesn't know that bird. If your conure is calling out to you because you've left it upstairs, your sennie is going to pick up on that stress and presume it also is going to experience stress...

If you have one bird upstairs and one down, how do you expect to split your time? One bird is going to feel left out, or you and your partner arn't going to spend time together as one of you will have to be with their "own" bird.

Your conure will be fine if you bring it home. Your senegal will not.

I'm sorry, I'm all for bringing another bird into the mix, especially when one hasn't bonded to you. But; you haven't given the senegal enough time and you don't know that the conure will do the same.

Bring another bird home when you're confident and comfortable that you will love both equally, spend equal amounts of time with bonding, training.

Not just because this is the species you want and the other bird you have hasn't worked out in a short amount of time.

Just my 2c; sorry if you don't like it. I'm all for the birds interests, not sparing feelings. Give it a year or so, then if your senegal still has no interest in you and you still want another bird for your own consider bringing a sun into the mix after you've met it, bonded some, etc.

OP
O

Oscar129

Dec 12, 2012
Pa
Parrots
Male senegal parrot
Well alrighty then. From my research senegals usually aren't big on cuddling. He wasn't with his previous owner either. After hearing all that I guess no conure for me. Sorry if I upset anyone.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
and I say all of the above with plenty of knowledge of senegal attitudes.

They are jealous, nasty, possessive, mood swing-y birds that will not tolerate anyone or anything getting attention.

Not all of them are 100% on all these nasty things, but every bird is likely to react as I posted in the above, but knowing senegal attitudes I can pretty much say with confidence you will not have a happy senegal on your hands if you want to bring a new bird into the mix.

Mtdoramike has experienced the nastyness that comes from his senegal because he brought an eclectus in the mix. I want another bird but I know it's incredibly unlikely whilst I have Merlin.

They are fantastic little birds, don't get me wrong, but please do not bring in another bird into your home just yet. Poor little mite wont know who to trust or whats hit him.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Well alrighty then. From my research senegals usually aren't big on cuddling. He wasn't with his previous owner either. After hearing all that I guess no conure for me. Sorry if I upset anyone.

Haven't upset me. I just don't like the attitude of 'if something doesnt work first time, replace'.

Merlin absolutely adored me at first. He is now most certainly my partners bird; chances are he'll flit over to you after a while ;) They're not usually cuddly, compared to conures and other pois etc. But they are affectionate birds, just definitely on their terms.

Please if you want tips and stuff on trying to bond with your senegal just ask, we all want relationships between people and their parrots to work.

OP
O

Oscar129

Dec 12, 2012
Pa
Parrots
Male senegal parrot
He won't come to me but comes right to my hubby. I try talking to him and he walks away.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Does he have a favourite treat you know of yet?
Find out what it is and make sure you're the only one who gives them to him. Not your partner.

Your bird will then see you as the lovely treat-giver and want to spend more time with you so he gets more treats.

Spend a lot of time with your bird, but break it up. Don't let your bird expect you all day long. You want to be that rare surprise that he looks forward to. I spend the most time with Merlin; because my other half works longer. Merlin appreciates Andrew all the more partially because he doesn't see him all day, then when Andrew is home he makes a big fuss and play time etc with Merlin. Which is why Merlin is so eager to see and spend time with him. He's FUN Andrew... not 'home all day, so things get boring Cat'

But, when you are home, make sure to include him in things. Make everything you do with him interactive. Are you chopping a salad? Give him a piece of something (bird friendly) to play with or eat whilst you're doing things. Talk TO him. Don't just talk around him and think that's enough. Make a fuss of him.

Senegals are phobic birds and so are likely to freak out at a fair few things. Introduction to new things are really important, but take it slow.

If you have a coffee table in your living room or something. Sit down low and put your sennie on it, get some lego blocks and some foot toys and just roll them around on the table. See if he'll want to join in and play. Chances are he'll be nervous at first, but will want to join in if you make a fuss of the toy away from him. (the possessive/jealous thing, he wants what you have!)

Don't leave your other half out in all of this, just get him to take a step back from doing so much with him. You take charge of your sennies fun and food life.

Cleaning cages can go either way; some are incredibly territorial and do not want anyone near their cage. So may be better if it's not you for the time being, as he may see you as invading his space and so put his guard up... obviously that would be something to work on as you get more comfortable with each other.

I find it's just easier to clean and change food/water whilst Merlin is out and preoccupied with something else.

Let me know if there's any questions/things I've missed out. I'm unwell so brain goes foggy. Sorry.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
and I say all of the above with plenty of knowledge of senegal attitudes.

They are jealous, nasty, possessive, mood swing-y birds that will not tolerate anyone or anything getting attention.

Not all of them are 100% on all these nasty things, but every bird is likely to react as I posted in the above, but knowing senegal attitudes I can pretty much say with confidence you will not have a happy senegal on your hands if you want to bring a new bird into the mix.

Mtdoramike has experienced the nastyness that comes from his senegal because he brought an eclectus in the mix. I want another bird but I know it's incredibly unlikely whilst I have Merlin.

They are fantastic little birds, don't get me wrong, but please do not bring in another bird into your home just yet. Poor little mite wont know who to trust or whats hit him.

I could not have said it better myself. My Senegal went from being a sweet heart to wanting to rip my arm off once I got Mac. We had our Sennie for 8 months before getting Mac our Eclectus. Our Sennie went from being my bird to my wife's bird over night. She initially bonded with me, but after getting Mac, she now has bonded to my wife and tollerates me hahahahahahaha.

Mac our Eclectus is a velcro bird and wants to be on me 24/7 and gets jealous if I spend time with Tiki our Senegal. But the difference between the two is, Mac will only squawk or growl and Tiki the Sennie will BITE and I don't mean those little love pinches either, I mean those vicious sink her beak to the bone in my finger drawing blood.

OP
O

Oscar129

Dec 12, 2012
Pa
Parrots
Male senegal parrot
Well since he was deprived of anything but a seed diet he won't eat much else. I give a peanut once a day but he's reluctant to take it from me. I'm home a lot. My husband is gone 9 hours a day. He won't eat any fruits or veggies. No to treat sticks. He just sits there all day til my hubby comes home. Cleaning doesn't seem to bother him. My husband doesn't really do a lot with him. My husband is just better at catching him when he tries to fly. He was eating earlier so I talk to him and he moves to the other side of his perch.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Well since he was deprived of anything but a seed diet he won't eat much else. I give a peanut once a day but he's reluctant to take it from me. I'm home a lot. My husband is gone 9 hours a day. He won't eat any fruits or veggies. No to treat sticks. He just sits there all day til my hubby comes home. Cleaning doesn't seem to bother him. My husband doesn't really do a lot with him. My husband is just better at catching him when he tries to fly. He was eating earlier so I talk to him and he moves to the other side of his perch.

Okay, so there's a really basic relationship going on at the moment then. Sit by him, talk to him, whistle, sing, read a book out loud to him. Get him used to the sight of you and your voice.

Mind if I ask do you work or if you're at home all day etc?

Every bird has a food weakness, it's just a case of finding it. If you're feeding peanuts please make sure they're not salted etc too. Put an extra dish in his cage with fresh fruits or veggies in, try and make it colourful and interesting. He might ignore it for a short while, but sooner or later he'll give in and at least have a nosey as to whats in the bowl. Keep a little bowl of different 'treat foods' and see what he takes to best, then completely remove that from him and only offer them to him when it's coming from you and when he's being social with you.

Does he have a playstand? and is he clipped or flighted?

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Going to have to apologise as I have to go to work soon. Keep us all updated and ask as much questions as you need, nothing is too daft. Rather you ask and get a good answer than do it and make a mistake that sets you back weeks/months.

Will answer and check in as soon as I can :)

OP
O

Oscar129

Dec 12, 2012
Pa
Parrots
Male senegal parrot
He came clipped. No I don't work. No playstand yet. He has a perch on top of his cage. If I try to approach him he nips at me. I'm not making him come out if he doesn't want to.

OP
O

Oscar129

Dec 12, 2012
Pa
Parrots
Male senegal parrot
Yes unsalted peanuts. Looked that up before buying. Thanks for the help.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It's possible for senegals to get along with other birds...

dinner is served (1 of 2) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
the big picture (3 of 3) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
sleepy head (2 of 2) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_2286 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

That said, it's no guarantee that your senegal will get along with another bird. Because of the natural behavior of senegals, it's also no guarantee that he wont get along with another bird. None of us know what your senegal is like, so we can't tell you how he will respond to another bird - but those with senegal experience may be able to give you the best advice in this regards (as has already been stated - they typically don't get along with other species)

Ultimately, it's up to you, but I also agree, give your senegal more time! If you haven't already, try and find his favorite treat, and start teaching him some tricks! Such as wave, turn around, shake head yes/no, 'big eagle', etc!

Most Reactions

Latest posts