Setbacks

Helitorian

Dec 15, 2011
Nebraska
Parrots
RIP Constantine: Jenday Conure
I don't seem to be getting anywhere with Con since I brought him home. He doesn't step up for me half the time unless he's somewhere that he doesn't want to be. He refuses to go anywhere but his cage or my shoulder and if he isn't on either one, he chirps and begs until I pick him up.

I really feel like I'm failing as a Fid parent :(

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
It just takes time!!! You just need to repeat the process while he's on your fingers to do the step up routine over and over, make sure you hold your finger to the chest, NOT to the feet, a lot of people make that mistake, you hold it to their chest! Even my partner does that sometimes, I had to correct it right away....

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Please give him time... You've had him for less than two weeks...

Find out what his most favourite treat is, and always have some close, so you can give it to him as soon as he does something right... Also give verbal praise.

Bird live a long time, and you just can't teach them everything they need to know in a few short weeks...

I know it's frustrating, when you think he knows something, and doesn't do it... Please don't show your frustration to the bird.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Puck was the same way the first few weeks. He would get anxious whenever I'd leave his sight, even for a moment. At first I would carry him around everywhere in my tiny apartment. I would perch him close to me while I did chores. Now he's comfortable pretty much anywhere I put him. Although, he has little fear and likes to explore. Some birds are more fearful than others.

Gice Con more time! How would you feel in his place? He doesn't speak our language and has no control over his life and doesn't know why he isn't at his old home. He will get used to his new home, but since they are so intelligent it takes them a while to adjust. I'm sure you're doing a great job.

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
It just takes time!!! You just need to repeat the process while he's on your fingers to do the step up routine over and over, make sure you hold your finger to the chest, NOT to the feet, a lot of people make that mistake, you hold it to their chest! Even my partner does that sometimes, I had to correct it right away....

May I ask why?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Yes, it just takes time. Some birds are bolder than others. It sounds like you are doing fine. Just hang in there.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.

May I ask why?

They step upwards willingly! If you hold to my birds' feet they will not step up to you. Birds like to go upwards! However, my macaw was taught to step backwards....lol . Trust me, its easier to teach stepping up by going to their chest/belly area. Same with perch training!

OP
Helitorian

Helitorian

Dec 15, 2011
Nebraska
Parrots
RIP Constantine: Jenday Conure
Thanks everyone! I just really needed some support. I was getting a little frustrated with him but you're all right. He needs time. This is my first bird so it's gonna be rough for the both of us until we get use to each other. Thanks again for your help and encouragement :)

SunMommy

Nov 6, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Pyro, my new baby sun conure
Think of your bird like a baby. Birds certainly live as long as humans and sometimes longer with proper care. We dont expect babies to be able to perform or listen at such a young age as we do with our pets. Everything takes time.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
It will be a lifetime bond and together you will go through some changes. It doesn't happen immediately, but grows every day. I'm certain there will still be changes both my birds and myself go through in life. It wasn't so long ago that we were all still young. Now we are kind of all middle aged. I hope and expect us to reach our elderly years together as well. At one time we all really wanted a mate. Now we are kind of leaning towards other things, lol, as we will enter our twilight years in the future.

Most Reactions

Latest posts