So torn...

SyntheticIrony

Dec 19, 2011
Hi I'm new here, posted in the new members forums. Now comes time to start deciding on a bird. I've been spending a lot of time at the place where we are going to buy our bird from playing with Cinnamon babies that are ready in 2-3 weeks. Totally sweet. However when we went into this we decided we'd go Green Cheek those are going to be another 4-5 weeks before being ready. However as I can play with the Cinnamon's I'm falling more in love.

Cinnamon or Green Cheek.. -sighs-

sabrecat666

Jul 20, 2011
Parrots
Guido - Jenday Conure, Nunzio - GCC and Kiwi - IRN
Isnt the Cinnamon just a color variation of a Green Cheek?

OP
S

SyntheticIrony

Dec 19, 2011
Isnt the Cinnamon just a color variation of a Green Cheek?

Yes it is.. I love the color of the Green Cheek normal mutation. But this little Cinnamon just looks so sweet and she/he is so content with me. I think I'm falling in love. Ha ha. I wish I could take them all!

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Don't be fooled by their cuteness. All baby Green Cheeks are that sweet & are happy to snuggle. But beware when they reach about 4 to 5 months get a bit nippy.

I don't care to much for color because i think all the mutations in the green cheeks are beautiful & i just love their attitude for such a little bird.

OP
S

SyntheticIrony

Dec 19, 2011
Don't be fooled by their cuteness. All baby Green Cheeks are that sweet & are happy to snuggle. But beware when they reach about 4 to 5 months get a bit nippy.

I don't care to much for color because i think all the mutations in the green cheeks are beautiful & i just love their attitude for such a little bird.

Ha ha this made me laugh, cause it's just like babies. I know I love the deep green and then maroon tail on the normal green cheek. I think the color is so rich and beautiful. But these two cinnamon's are so sweet and soft and delicate. One is bold and one is delicate. I can't choose! Damn.. one of each :p

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
My breeding pair are normals but the male is split to cinnamon. In each clutch i always get a little cinnamon hen (sexed linked mutation) The little hens in a clutch are always delicate as you say & the males are usually the bold ones. I have kept a little hen from the last clutch to pair up with the Pineapple mutation. She's is just so cute. I don't get her out of the cage every day but when I do she has so much fun flying around & landing on me.

The males do have attitude & will sometimes get very bitey as they head towards maturity but as time goes on they do settle down to become a lovely pet. It's all in the handling. The hens however do & will lay eggs when they mature.

But all in all they are dear little birds that are a lot of fun.

Helitorian

Dec 15, 2011
Nebraska
Parrots
RIP Constantine: Jenday Conure
If I hadn't gotten my Jenday, I would have gotten a Normal Green Cheek. I'm still playing with the idea but a customer I spoke to yesterday who has a B&G and LSC told me not to get another bird. It's easier to bond with one than two I suppose?

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
What a load of rubbish I so totally disagree with that statement. An old wife's tale to be sure. I have so much fun interacting with all my companion parrots. I don't think i would get the amount of fun out of just 1 bird. I sometimes feel sorry for parrots that are an only child, I truly think they miss out on some normallity in their life not knowing another bird.

I have some 30 parrots all fighting for my attention to some degree. It's wonderful.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I had Rosie a TAG for 2 years and then got a GCC male from a breeder on the forum who lives fairly near me. He is adorable and smart as a whip. Said his first word at 5 months. He is nippy and when it comes time for me to go to work he downright gets mad at me and bites hard. He thinks he is such a big bird. The down side of this is that the two birds will never get along. If they are near eachother they will both bite and the bigger beak of course wins. There have been injuries.

Helitorian

Dec 15, 2011
Nebraska
Parrots
RIP Constantine: Jenday Conure
Thanks Pedro. I really do want another bird. They're like potato chips; you can't have just one :) Unfortunately, until I am in my own place ( about 7 months from now) I can only have one bird. Once I'm back in my hometown and settled in a house, I shall consider adding to my flock though I'll never get up to 30 :p

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
What you should do is buy the bird that seems to most love you. That will turn out to be the best pet you can get, the color won't matter because they are all beautiful.

beckybird

Nov 16, 2011
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Lola (green cheek conure)
Connor (yellow sided green cheek conure)
Dorian "Buzzy" (senegal)
In choosing relationships with people and pets I always go for personality over looks! If you fall in love with a certain bird, go for it! The color mutation will not matter to you eventually if you adore the bird when interacting with it. I have a green cheek conure and a yellow-sided green cheek conure (a color mutation). They are both wonderful, and I am sure that the cinnamon green cheek color mutation is equally wonderful. Green cheeks and any any color mutation thereof can go through a nippy phase (Lola sure did!) but Connor has never bitten a person and he is almost 2 years old.

When I adopted my blue crowned conure Lincoln, I found him to be *gasp* unattractive. I adopted him anyway because he was the last one the breeder had up for adoption and I had already been on the waiting list for a blue crown for over a year. Now I find him to be absolutely gorgeous and I wonder what I ever found unattractive about him at the time.

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
In choosing relationships with people and pets I always go for personality over looks! If you fall in love with a certain bird, go for it! The color mutation will not matter to you eventually if you adore the bird when interacting with it. I have a green cheek conure and a yellow-sided green cheek conure (a color mutation). They are both wonderful, and I am sure that the cinnamon green cheek color mutation is equally wonderful. Green cheeks and any any color mutation thereof can go through a nippy phase (Lola sure did!) but Connor has never bitten a person and he is almost 2 years old.

When I adopted my blue crowned conure Lincoln, I found him to be *gasp* unattractive. I adopted him anyway because he was the last one the breeder had up for adoption and I had already been on the waiting list for a blue crown for over a year. Now I find him to be absolutely gorgeous and I wonder what I ever found unattractive about him at the time.

Agreed! Appearance is second to personality. That old saying that a good horse (or bird!) is never a bad colour and all that. I was after an ekkie, but fell in love with Alex when I saw him at the breeders (while looking at an ekkie mind you!) I swore I would not have an Aratinga species while at university, because of share housing, but lo and behold, I have a jenday. I also swore that if I ever got one, it would be a lacewing or red factor sun, but nope, I have a normal jenday, not even 2 generations away from the wild. And, suddenly those colours are meaningless, because he's the most beautiful bird to me. Don't get me wrong, I still love those colours, but he could be boring old brown and grey (or even bald an plucked!) for all I care, I'd still love him all the same! ;)

You know how people here say the bird will choose you out and let you know they like you? Sounds stupid, or so I thought at first, until I met my Ale, but it does happen.

Most Reactions