Settling in, update on CAG rescue

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
It's been five days since we rescued our grey and he is settling in very well. I've found out he talks quite a bit (no colorful language has emerged...yet...) and has a need to be in bed by 8 pm. If he isn't in bed by then, he gets fussy.

Yesterday, he wanted time with the family. Calling out and lifting his foot up a few times for me to take him and sit with everyone, He even asked for head scritches many times. He's just coming off a molt from what I can tell and the vet indicated, and has some pin feathers. I was surprised when he allowed me for some 15 minutes to scratch his head and help open the pin feathers.

I'm walking him around the house talking with him, showing him everything. He's not so timid and opening up.

He stays out for the most part, unless there's no one here to watch him and our gcc. He is fine with being in the cage as well, seems to comfort him.

He does like a shower somewhat, that seems to help with the itching of new feathers coming in too.

In short, Iago is doing great. I'm reading all the old threads to help me with this amazing one.

rope

Feb 20, 2015
maine
Parrots
2 sun conures
sounds like your doing great! i'm wondering how your cag is doing with you gcc...have you let your cag on your gcc's cage yet? we just got a baby tag and have 2 sun conures...things are going good..we're taking it slow..our gray loves to land on top of the conures cage...i take him off just like i did when we got our second conure...it took a couple months for them to love each other...

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
The GCC is doing well - a bit discombobulated of course but he gets lots of love and attention!!!

The grey is not miffed by the GCC. I'm giving them lots of time apart during the quarantine but on occasion they call out to one another and if I carry one or pass by the other they check one another out. There's been no negative behavior at all. I think in due course they will be great.

It's such a pleasure to have these guys at home. Love it!!!

RebelAngel

Apr 29, 2015
It's been five days since we rescued our grey and he is settling in very well. I've found out he talks quite a bit (no colorful language has emerged...yet...) and has a need to be in bed by 8 pm. If he isn't in bed by then, he gets fussy.

A friend is staying with hubby and I and he has a 30 year old TAG. He strictly adheres to a dusk bedtime and begins screaming "night night" over and over again with a loud whistle in between. He is SERIOUS about bedtime and if you are moving around/talking/whatever, he will scold you with a terse "night night time" and/or whisper it to you.

He gets covered as soon as he starts or he will continue for HOURS!

Most Reactions