Sexing budgies

MutatedFungi

Nov 13, 2016
Adult males usually blue cere
Adult females is pinkish brown to brown.

Younger is totally opposite?

Assuming this is true how is this possible, reason for the switch?

I know close to nothing about this, as you might be able to tell, but I would assume that this would be a waste of nutrients.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J321AZ using Tapatalk

Parro

Dec 21, 2012
Asia, Jordan, Amman
Parrots
Two Cockatiels, A Timneh African Grey
I don't believe Ceres can dramatically change color. Are they young? It can be difficult to identify a brown or blue cere when they are young, young parakeets usually have very pale ceres, these will have their cere slowly become clearer as they age.

OP
M

MutatedFungi

Nov 13, 2016
It may have just been incorrect information online.

Do you know if that also fits for English budgies?

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
It is true for all budgies. Some mutation like the pied the cere color can have a big change once they mature. You could have a little one that is showing a light blueish cere than once it is fully mature it is Brown. Or you could have a young male showing a pink cere but it turns blue once mature. The cere can also change color a bit when in breeding mode. basicaly the colors just get brighter.

I think the Cere color change is just part of budgie Puberty. Like humans little boys and girls all sound the same. Not until they mature do they sound different.

here is some info I found.
Males Mature males 6 months and older. Mutations that keep a pink cere throughout their lives: Recessive pieds, DEC, Albinos, etc,. In some mutations the cere stays evenly pink or purplish throughout their lives, usually smooth. Other mutations where the cere stays pink are: Lutino, Fallows and Lacewings. Credit: Corina of TalkBudgies
1y

OP
M

MutatedFungi

Nov 13, 2016
Ty isn't it true that those are not sexually dimorphic in color are so, by rough / smoothness.

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
Ty isn't it true that those are not sexually dimorphic in color are so, by rough / smoothness.

The rough or smoothness of the cere has to do mainly mating or feeling ready to mate. My birds are 4 years old and they always seem to have a rough cere. So 99% of the time the color of the cere will tell your the sex of the budgie.

spotjohnson

Oct 4, 2016
huntsville alabama
Parrots
buddy
Can anyone I'd the sex of this guy or girl iv had it 5 months [ame="https://youtu.be/fLL4E1at1vw"]Is this boy or girl wonder if it's too young to tell - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
This can be very tricky, and yes, as a breeder of both American and English budgies for years and years, they can all start out pink and go either way...and can be confusing.

A solid dark blue or dark purple with no white circles around the nostrils is definitely a male.

A light cream, tan, white, or a very dark, chocolate brown is female.

A bright blue with white rings around the nostrils is usually female, the males have solid blue with no nostril rings.

Pink is tough, but typically a solid, bright pink in actually male in adulthood. I have 2 male breeders that are solid, bright pink and have always been. When they are babies the pink means nothing, as it can change into tan, white, or brown and obviously be female, or it can stay pink and it's a male.

I typically wait until they are at least 10 months to a year old to definitely sex them by the ceres unless they are deep, dark, solid blue or purple (male) or completely white, tan, or dark brown (female).

The females that are bright blue with white nostril rings are usually the ones that confuse people, they see bright blue and automatically think male, until breeding season when that bright blue turns dark brown and crusts over (which is the indication a female is ready to breed, a dark chocolate cere that is very crusty and looks almost like a scab).

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts