Ginkai

Mar 20, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Eastern Galah - Suki Lala 10 months old
Greyhound Cross - Max 7 years old
Great Dane Cross - Marque 2 years old
Rats -Lola 1yr old, Tsuyu, Enya, Fury all 6 months old, Cookie 8 weeks
Anyone who knows me personally would agree that I am obsessed with pets. I used to have constant wants for this pet or another, feeling like I needed them to be whole. I've always had my two dogs but since getting Suki, everything has changed. I no longer crave heaps of animals. Or nearly impulse buy pet shop animals. Having a galah my lovely Suki has filled that hole in my life!

Random post but felt like sharing parrots really do rock!

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
Anyone who knows me personally would agree that I am obsessed with pets. I used to have constant wants for this pet or another, feeling like I needed them to be whole. I've always had my two dogs but since getting Suki, everything has changed. I no longer crave heaps of animals. Or nearly impulse buy pet shop animals. Having a galah my lovely Suki has filled that hole in my life!

Random post but felt like sharing parrots really do rock!

That's wonderful ,
I agree , they add a sense of contentment to my life as well . They are such wonderful little creatures : )

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I understand exactly what you are saying !!!!!
Suki sure has made an enormous impact on your life..... awesome

Mishka has changed my life forever, he calms me down, is my best friend
AND ALWAYS UNDERSTAND ME LoL

g0512.gif

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Well, you actually sound a lot like me lol. First it was fish, then it was hedgehogs (wierd right?) Then I got my cat, then I got two budgies. Once those passed, I got my cockatiel Tweeters. He died unexpectedly :( so after a year I started looking into more than budgies and cockatiels, and I found my GCC girlies. :D Well once I had them, the only other pet I had wast my cat. And I said, I think I need ONE more. So I gave a good home to Oliver and BAM as soon as I had him I ultimately stopped dreaming of other pets. 3 parrots are perfect. :)

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I can relate. I used to raise cockatiels about 30 years ago and got out of birds when I was moving around quite a bit. I got back into birds once my 14 year old black lab dog passed away a couple of years ago. I was so devistated that I didn't even get out of bed for almost a month over the. I couldn't even get to sleep for a good week without medication.

I decided to get another pet after a while. But I decided against another dog and went back to birds. Hopefully both my birds will out live me and I won't have to go through that pain ever again.

jonahsmom

Jun 18, 2012
Parrots
Buddy - green cheek conure; Luna - yellow crowned amazon; Bella - miniature dachshund; Schatzie - affenpinscher; RIP Boudreaux - timneh african grey
Sounds like me! We have two dogs and 9 pet rats in addition to our new TAG Boudreaux and our GCC Buddy. I love them all! But I finally feel like my family is complete. We're only able to have one human child, so the critters feel like they're real kids sometimes. LOL

BarkleyLoves

Jul 23, 2012
TX
Parrots
Barkley (4yo Eclectus)----
Pepper (7yo White-Capped Pionus)
We have two little dogs, and two hermit crabs, and we had our wonderful bird Pepper. When we got our male ecclectus, Barkley, our little home was complete. They sure do help occupy time and are forever giving us wonderful and funny memories.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Oddly enough, I'm not fulfilled yet. I have 8 parrots(only four were supposed to be mine but nobody else cares for them so...) but I still have the need for one more. I have always longed for a grey or a greenwing, those were the first parrots I ever saw/held, and I was only 5 at the time! I think once I get one of those I will be complete but seeing as how I'm the one taking care of 9 birds right now I'm not sure getting another one would be the best idea(wouldn't be for several years though).

That's so great that she has made such an impact in your life! That means you two are truly bonded for life!

OP
Ginkai

Ginkai

Mar 20, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Eastern Galah - Suki Lala 10 months old
Greyhound Cross - Max 7 years old
Great Dane Cross - Marque 2 years old
Rats -Lola 1yr old, Tsuyu, Enya, Fury all 6 months old, Cookie 8 weeks
Thanks for all your stories and comments I loved reading them.whenever I'm home Suki is with me on my shoulder,or on my husbands shoulder she loves him too! She spends half her time out grooming him and trying to kiss him! He loves her as much as me so we make a very happy family.

While I'm thinking about it. Are there any members who already had a parrot and had a baby join there family? How hard was to make it work what precautions do you take? Me and my husband are trying but don't worry I will never rehome her because of this. I love her to much.

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
Well I have 5 wonderful dogs my mams Senegal and in a few weeks time my baby blue fronted amazon but I don't think I will be completed until I have a Catalina macaw and a African grey aswell but until I choose when to get them I'm happy with what I have in my flock so far and did I mention I also have a evil rabbit lol

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
its great to hear how much you guys love suki! every parrot deserves a home as loving as yours. as for babies and birds, as long as the child is raised to respect the bird and knows how to handle it, i think it will work out wonderfly! To be sure suki gets enough attention, she could become part of the routine. she could sit on your shoulder while you prepare a bottle, help put toys away, dance and sing for the baby, help "fold" laundry (by fold i mean drop clothes out of the basket right after you fold them lol). I would just be extra clean so your baby wont get sick, and purchase an air filter for her powder down. also, you love suki, and will love your baby, love always finds a way :)

Most Reactions