Shelby playing with metal,....toy's ?

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
Our newly rescued Too Shelby, has not played much, but we've only been together for 5 days so it will take a while for her to gain trust with us, our other pets and to be more comfortable in our home. The other day she did go upside down on her play stand. The caretaker from the rescue said Shelby was not a real toy player and did not chew on much either.

Today, I had some small stainless steel bolts & washers on my desk, and she had a BLAST moving them around with her beak and knocking them off onto the floor. It was real funny !

She has strip type toys a swing etc, but has nothing to do with them. We would hate to spend more money and collect more toys that she won't play with.

So, what toys do you think she will play with then ?

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
If she loved the bolts and washers why not just string some together with leather rope and hang them in her cage!?

So frustrating to spend big $ on toys that they aren't interested in when they in turn are fascinated with cheap items.

OP
427HISS

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
I agree. We can spend money on toys for our cats, but end up playing with a shoe string or milk tab ! lol

I'll look in the shop and see what I have for unused stainless hardware. Although I'll just make her bolt toy, this is what she may,.... like to play with. We also heard she likes chewing on sticks. Do you think the small cow hide chew stick's for dogs, would be safe for birds ?

icon-img-frasier_spinner.jpg

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
My Goffin , who didnt like anything in the very beginning , fell head over heels for a acylic toy with beads and round metal rings and chains. He loves to "lick" the plastic for some reason...then he grabs the marbles and shakes them with his foot , lolol.
He is facinated by the colorful bells in the middle too , he cant get them out , but he sure as heck tries , lolol. I got him a totally different acrylic toy and he jumped right on top of it and started playing with it...I bought a shredding toy too and he wont go near it , so go figure... I even bought Rosie a acrylic toy and Yoshi goes into her cage and plays with it...I tend to think he likes the smooth feel of the plastic....
And ropes , he loves to chew the ropes now. Also the plastic chains , he loves to climb on them and swing...this is coming from a bird who was afraid of everything a couple of months ago ! You never know though , what Shelby doesnt play with now , might be big hit with her a couple of months from now :)

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I agree. We can spend money on toys for our cats, but end up playing with a shoe string or milk tab ! lol

I'll look in the shop and see what I have for unused stainless hardware. Although I'll just make her bolt toy, this is what she may,.... like to play with. We also heard she likes chewing on sticks. Do you think the small cow hide chew stick's for dogs, would be safe for birds ?

icon-img-frasier_spinner.jpg

I used to gtie a rawhide bone to my Amazons cage , he loved to bite it and play with it.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I think with rawhide though you may have the same concern with birds as dogs that they could bite off a piece and lodge it in their digestive track.

It can be hard with a picky bird trying to figure out what they like. Rowdy and Merlin seem to love all toys. Pete is still trying to figure out what he likes. My Blue Crown conure was quite difficult. The toy had to be mentally stimulating to her, and if it was too easy she would get mad and dismantle it. She liked a big cotton rope toy with difficult knots to undo, an acrylic treasure chest with different shaped holes filled with different shaped blocks she had to work out, and the links that hold the toys to the top of the cage. I would string together a bunch of those links and let her unscrew and remove them one by one.

Oh, and yes, my cat's favorite current toy is a battery! I took it out of the remote and set it on the coffee table. She took it and has been batting it around the kitchen ever since. And yesterday she went upstairs, got one of my dirty socks, brought it downstairs and started batting that around the kitchen! That's a new one, lol!

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Oh yes , I definitely take care to check the rawhide for loose pieces.
In fact , I used to tie one of the braided rawhide rings up for my horse to bat around and chew on...She could never get a "good chew" going because she couldnt hold on to it , but boy did it pi** her off sometimes , lolol. I used to hang a empty milk jug up with hay string for my horse and my friends horse to play with..they used to get some nice tennis games going sometimes , lololol. But the best toy for her was the jolly balls that are made for horses , OMG ! did she love to chase and carry that ball around , lolol. Yes , a horse that played with a ball , it was her most favorite toy of all times and if she caught you trying to take it out of the paddock , you better be able to get to that fence before she reached you , lololol.
Mycats best toy is a milk carton plastic thingy , the piece of plastic you peel of to open a new container ? Or a rolled up piece of paper , either one will make her act like "spacey cat" for a good while :)
The dogs , anything will do , a stick or a leaf , if th
They make it look fun enough and the other dogs want it , they can get a good "keep away" game going in no time :)
Their best toy to date was a baby squirrel tail ! A hawk or owl must have got the animal over night and the dogs found what was left , they played with that tail like crazy throwing it up in the air and catching it , until I went to see what all the hub bub was about and i picked it up .......eeeeewwwwwwwwwww !!

Oh animals are so freakin funny , how can anybody live without having one I will never know !

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
My little mare used to love Jolly Balls, too, when she was younger. These days she isn't as interested in it.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Greys love puzzle toys and some are stainless steel. I have one attached to the cage that has nuts and bolts to play.

OP
427HISS

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
Wouldn't a wood stick/branch etc. be the same as the dog rawhide as far as getting a piece stuck in their throat,.....I don't know ?
Be careful with the batteries because of the acid.

luv- you also have quite the clown family ! I agree, people that do not like pats, don't know what their missing ! My bro-in-law had none growing up, but after he married Patty's sister, they got a basset hound. John was so in love with him, they ended up with FIVE. lol

When the first one passed away, he was actually suicidal.

That's our point as animal lovers, if everyone that can take great care of a pet and love them like we do our human family's, the earth would be a better place to live !!!
:rainbow1: :D:D:D

Spiritbird- do you have a pic of those toys or can you post a website link for them ?

Last edited:

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Yes , sticks can be dangerous if eaten , but the wood does break down in the belly IF small bits are swallowed. I like to give my dogs bully sticks. I'm not getting into what they actually are unless asked , lololol. They are digestable , rawhide is not.
I was a vet tech for years and have seen many things removed from the stomachs of dogs...but never a bully stick ...not saying its cant cause a blockage , but
(most dogs) chew the heck out of them , so big pieces are not a problem.
The only problem about them is they are expensive when you have multiple dogs.
Oh , just a FYI , please dont give Greenies.....just because there is more bad press about them then good and I can tell you surgery stories about them that will change your mind about giving them ....give bully sticks instead :) and never leave them unattended and unsupervised when they have these things.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
The cat isn't biting on or chewing the battery or I never would have let her have it. She just rolls it across the floor. I would never let a bird or dog have a battery. And if she licks it or otherwise puts it in her mouth, into the garbage it will go.

OP
427HISS

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
What are bully sticks ?

Have you ever seen a dog lick a 9 volt and touches his tongue to both terminals at the same time. I saw it once and it was funny to to see his face !

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
What are bully sticks ?

Have you ever seen a dog lick a 9 volt and touches his tongue to both terminals at the same time. I saw it once and it was funny to to see his face !

Oh you would ask , wouldnt you :rolleyes:

Its the male part of a bull ! I'm not saying it !!
According to the dogs , they are chewy , lololol.
They have ones that are odorless too :p

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Same kind of face if they step on one of those scat cat mats that suppose to keep your cat out of the xmas tree , lolol
The scat mat gives off a static shock. I never used them , so what the cat is in the xmas tree , I dont care , lolol. But I know people who have , and the cats learned to jump over them....lolol. How stupid do people who invent these things think animals are ? lolol.

Jenlynn

Nov 19, 2011
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Sun Conure, and Blue Indian Ringneck
Niles really likes metal toys too. Whenever I bring him fresh food, if the spoon is still in it, he'd rather play with that than eat. I saw greyfeathertoys.com in bird talk and placed an order for a few things. Niles favorite toy by far is this spoon toy. He attacks it, swings from it, and shakes it. Here's the link, Parrot toys, bird toys, bird food at Grey Feather Toys s They are kind of expensive, but I figure these toys are indestructible for the most part, so it was a once and done purchase. I also got my sun conure a smaller spoon toy and both are holding up extremely well.

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
I read on somewhere that you should not secure a too's cage with a combination lock as they can learn to open them. After reading that I thought that a combination lock might make a good toy for them.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Same kind of face if they step on one of those scat cat mats that suppose to keep your cat out of the xmas tree , lolol
The scat mat gives off a static shock. I never used them , so what the cat is in the xmas tree , I dont care , lolol. But I know people who have , and the cats learned to jump over them....lolol. How stupid do people who invent these things think animals are ? lolol.

Yes, but are you ever embarrassed when an animal outsmarts you? I do at least joke about the horse, cat, bird, dog being smarter than I am.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*

Yes, but are you ever embarrassed when an animal outsmarts you? I do at least joke about the horse, cat, bird, dog being smarter than I am.

Oh yes , I know , I have Border Collies . One girl , Sally , knows that she can watch video on the computer and of course she watches the TV.
She has strong herding lines , so anything that moves , like animals on animal planet , she attacks the screen or if its a video on the computer , she sits on my lap and stares at the screen ! lolol.
These dogs know things dogs shouldnt know , thats the only way I can explain them , lolol.:p

OP
427HISS

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
The scat mat gives off a static shock. I never used them , so what the cat is in the xmas tree , I don't care , lolol. But I know people who have , and the cats learned to jump over them....lolol. How stupid do people who invent these things think animals are ? lolol.

Oh yes , I know , I have Border Collies . One girl , Sally , knows that she can watch video on the computer and of course she watches the TV.
She has strong herding lines , so anything that moves , like animals on animal planet , she attacks the screen or if its a video on the computer , she sits on my lap and stares at the screen ! lolol.
These dogs know things dogs shouldn't know , thats the only way I can explain them , lolol.:p

I know, we have a Sheltie (2nd one) and has extreme herding skills. Our terrier chases our boxer following every step, as a he should, like going for a rat. He gets tired, but the Sheltie watches where the boxer will come around, then heads him off. I also would take in unwanted hunting breeds and train them to hunt, then find a good home for them. It's AMAZING to watch work like they were meant to do. Our terrier loves to come out to my racing shop and looks for mice & rats.

roxy- ya, us stupid humans !!!

stephend- I really like the new,...locks on the Kings Cages. So far there only on two models. I would like to see if a Too or a Grey could unlock it.

Jenlynn- Cool, I'll check them out. Like you said, they should last a long time !

My bully stick is hurting ! (sorry, had to) lol !!!

Most Reactions