Should I be concerned?

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
Hi everyone.
I have 5 y.o. male cockatiel. Over all he seems to be in a good health. Has a good appetite although he is a bit picky on his food (prefers seeds to pellets and prety much everything else). They always have chalk in cage for calcium.
Now I am a bit concerned about how his beak looks like, it tends to peel to much. Here is a picture.
What do you think?

lotosha-albums-tiels-picture8657-20130601-101957-copy.jpg

lotosha-albums-tiels-picture8658-20130601-101337-copy.jpg

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I can't see anything to be concerned about.

OP
lotosha

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
Thanks. What a relief I've already pictured to myself beak and feather disease and what not:)

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
He's cute! Looks like a little ham, leaning in to the camera! :D

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
What a cutie! It looks fine to me too. Sounds like you are doing a great job caring for him!

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I think what you are concerned about is normal beak growth. Birds' beaks grow two ways. First, like our nails, they grow in length. But, they also grow in layers, and what looks to you like a problem, is just a healthy beak growing well. Even though he eats only seeds, that is basically all they eat in the grasslands that they naturally live in. Try to feed him other things, but, don't stress if he won't. He looks very healthy.

OP
lotosha

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
Dear friends! Thank you all very much for calming me down and for saying nice words about my tiel:)

Most Reactions